[comp.sys.atari.st] Dead groups

IHLS400@INDYCMS (Holly Lee Stowe) (11/06/87)

>"Why are the binary and source news groups so dead?"

It seems they are dead because people insist on posting programs
to the Info mailing list instead.

** slow burn **

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm a bit shy on disk space
here.  It seems that many of the volumes of INFO-ATARI16 that are
coming across the net have UUEncoded programs included with them.
Most recently was a 690 line volume that included about 75 lines
of post and 615 lines of DC Format 2.21 for color AND we are told
that the monochrome version is next!  I'm just as interested as
the next person in obtaining these programs, but PLEASE let me
do it in my own time from one of the file servers!!  DON'T include
these in the message postings.  The postings are distributed through
Bitnet as an entire volume.  No one truly edits them.  Please show
some consideration to those of us who cannot simply skip those
messages in which we have no interest currently as I assume you
can do in the newsgroups.  If you've lost Mr. Turner's address
or whatever, post a message to that effect.  I'm sure someone out
there has it handy, and posting that kind of message is MUCH shorter
than just posting 600 lines of program that I can't do anything with
right now.

Pretty please?  With brown sugar and a cherry on top?

** cold water **

-Holly
There are two universal elements in this world - hydrogen and stupidity.
{This line contains toxic waste for the local line eater.}

ljdickey@water.UUCP (11/09/87)

In article <8711061915.AA28019@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> IHLS400@INDYCMS (Holly Lee Stowe) writes:

> >"Why are the binary and source news groups so dead?"
>
> It seems they are dead because people insist on posting programs
> to the Info mailing list instead.

This is not the whole story.  Recently, for various reasons, it seems
that people have sent things to the moderator of these groups and
they are not getting distributed.  I was happy to see the DCfmt programs
posted to this group.  There is no other group for the *sender* to
post them to this net.

As you may know,  I have called for a change of rules in posting
to the two groups,

	comp.binaries.atari.st
	comp.sources.atari.st

I think that no overall benefit has come to users by having these
groups be moderated, as they are now.  The author of some slick new
program should be able post there and not bother you.  Please add
your voice of support for my position, and I will add mine to yours.

> I'm just as interested as
> the next person in obtaining these programs, but PLEASE let me
> do it in my own time from one of the file servers!!

The file servers are still not *easily* accessible to users outside the
BITNET world.  Yes, I can get files, but it is still a struggle
for me, on a non EBCDIC system that does not run TRUE BLUE software,
to decode these things because of the use of LRECLs, problems with
character translations, and the use of files with very long lines.
Things that have appeared on the net as nice flat files readable and
decodable are now stored in a form that is a nightmare to work with.

>    ...     Please show
> some consideration to those of us who cannot simply skip those
> messages in which we have no interest currently as I assume you
> can do in the newsgroups.

Why not just scan forward to the next "Subject" line?   :-)

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey