[comp.sys.atari.st] Comdex Announcements

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (11/09/87)

Here's the press release that describes the new Atari announcements at
Comdex Fall 87.  We'll get you more detailed information ASAP.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

     Amidei And Company                 Atari Corporation
     Paul Gross                         Neil Harris
     Hunter Gooch                       (408) 745-2160
     (415) 788-1333
orporation emerges as a maker of a varied line of

high-performance, low-cost solutions for the business world.

     New technology is showcased by Abaq, an
processor.  The parallel processing capability of Abaq lets a single

system multiply its processing power by adding extra transputer chips.

     At answer is "Moses PromiseLAN".  This system is

compatible with the NETBIOS standard used by IBM and Novell.  It

communicates data at 1 megabits-per-second to PC's and over 250K bits-per-

second over Appletalk.  Atari is planning to manufacture "Moses

PromiseLAN" adapters for the Mega, ST, and PC computer lines.

     The Atari Mega computers are showcased with a variety of solid

business solutions.ect ST t's Drafix 1.

     Atari expanded its PC-compatible offerings by adding two new models,

the PC2 (PC XT compatible) and PC3 (PC AT compatibile), both with EGA

graphics, high clock speeds, and low price tags.  A variation of the PC3

will operate in VGA graphics mode as well.  The PC2 and PC3 will be

offered with 3.5" or 5.25" floppy disks and with hard disks.  These new

models join the PC1, which at $799 is a basic 512K PC XT compatible,

suitable for usecan do the things they

do best."

     Atari Corporation is a leading, vertically integrated manufacturer

and marketer of personal computers and video games.  The company offers

the 16/32-bit ST and Mega personal computers; the 8-bit XE

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

In article <882@atari.UUCP>, neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
> Here's the press release that describes the new Atari announcements at
> Comdex Fall 87.  We'll get you more detailed information ASAP.

 *** garbage follows ***

Going to try this again:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

     Amidei And Company                 Atari Corporation
     Paul Gross                         Neil Harris
     Hunter Gooch                       (408) 745-2160
     (415) 788-1333

                 CONNECTIVITY, SOLUTIONS, AND TECHNOLOGY:

                  ATARI ANNOUNCES NEW PRODUCTS AT COMDEX

     (Las Vegas, NV -- Comdex Fall 87)... In a series of major product

introductions, Atari Corporation emerges as a maker of a varied line of

high-performance, low-cost solutions for the business world.

     New technology is showcased by Abaq, an ultra-high-performance

workstation with blazing speed and dazzling graphics.  The Abaq, based on

a sophisticated "transputer" chip, runs more than 10 times faster than a

PC/AT technology and more than 5 times faster than the 68020 with math

processor.  The parallel processing capability of Abaq lets a single

system multiply its processing power by adding extra transputer chips.

     Atari unveiled its new CD player capable of reading CD-ROM disks and

of playing musical CD disks.  The CD-ROM is supported by a Mega and ST-

compatible DMA interface, and will retail in early 1988 for well under

$1000.

     Atari's connectivity answer is  a LAN which is

compatible with the NETBIOS standard used by IBM and Novell.  It

communicates data at 1 megabits-per-second to PC's and over 250K bits-per-

second over Appletalk.  Atari is planning to manufacture

"PromiseLAN" adapters for the Mega, ST, and PC computer lines.

     The Atari Mega computers are showcased with a variety of solid

business solutions.  Desktop publishing is represented by both the Atari

SLM804 Laser Printer and by G.O. Graphics, who are porting their Deskset

program (CompuGraphics compatible) which Atari will market.  Word Perfect

is displaying the recently shipped Word Perfect ST and Atari is displaying

Microsoft Write.  A group of vendors are appealing to VARs with vertical

packages running under the IDRIS multi-user multi-tasking operating

system.  Several new high-end CAD packages are on display including

Foresight's Drafix 1.

     Atari expanded its PC-compatible offerings by adding two new models,

the PC2 (PC XT compatible) and PC3 (PC AT compatibile), both with EGA

graphics, high clock speeds, and low price tags.  A variation of the PC3

will operate in VGA graphics mode as well.  The PC2 and PC3 will be

offered with 3.5" or 5.25" floppy disks and with hard disks.  These new

models join the PC1, which at $799 is a basic 512K PC XT compatible,

suitable for use as a LAN workstation and for standalone personal

computing.  The PC2 includes XT-compatible slots, while the PC3's slots

are PC AT compatible.

     "We offer complete systems for the office," said Atari president Sam

Tramiel.  "I can see Atari Mega computers with laser printers as desktop

publishing stations exchanging data with a satellite group of PC1's as LAN

stations.  An entire office environment can be created.  The PC, the

Macintosh, and the Atari computers co-exist.  Each can do the things they

do best."

     Atari Corporation is a leading, vertically integrated manufacturer

and marketer of personal computers and video games.  The company offers

the 16/32-bit ST and Mega personal computers; the 8-bit XE line of

personal computers; the Atari PC; the 2600, 7800, and XE video game

system; and a broad line of peripherals and software.

     Atari Corporation is located at 1196 Borregas Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA

94086.  Telephone (408) 745-2000.