[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard Disk Backup Utilities and Need Monochrome Monitor

ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (10/30/87)

   After purchasing the Magic Sac last week, I find that I will need both
a hard disk backup utility for the ST and a monochrome monitor or a long,
agonizing death lies in my future . . .

   I've yet to hear of a hard disk backup utility, except for one rather
unmemorable one I saw at the AtariFest, but they must exist . . . What are
the best (and cheapest)?

   The monochrome monitor is a real must for the Magic Sac.  Half-resolution
is not something I can deal with, and the dual-screen mode for color would be
okay IF the right mouse button was used as a toggle along with/instead of
the cursor keys . . . Anybody have one of these they want to get rid of in
favor of a color monitor?  A new one would be too expensive, and dealers don't
seem to want to sell them alone.  I am willing to pay almost anything less
than $150, but $100 is more my speed (I'd rather not eat peanut butter until
Christmas) (I'd also like to be able to buy the backup utility . . .).

   One comment about new software . . . forget WordPerfect, buy Empire.
You can waste less money and more time.  Good game!

--
Jared J. Brennan
BITNET: INS_BJJB@JHUVMS, INS_BJJB@JHUNIX

rling@uw-june.UUCP (Robert Ling) (10/31/87)

There is a backup utility available for free.  Its called TURTLE
and its the best around, I think.  It makes file backups rather
than the image of the hard disk.  It is quite fast and has quite
a few features (incremental/full, files/directories etc) but the
best feature of all is that it preserves the timestamp of the
files that it backs up.  I got it off the net so it must have
been posted before or available from one of the archives/servers.

- Robert Ling   <rling@june.cs.washington.edu>

ljdickey@water.UUCP (11/04/87)

In article <5407@jhunix.UUCP> ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) writes:

>   I've yet to hear of a hard disk backup utility, except for one rather
>unmemorable one I saw at the AtariFest, but they must exist . . . What are
>the best (and cheapest)?

Use Turtle.  It is the best and the cheapest.

Why should a backup program be memorable?

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey

ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) (11/10/87)

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:
>In article <5407@jhunix.UUCP> ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) writes:
>>   I've yet to hear of a hard disk backup utility, except for one rather
>>unmemorable one I saw at the AtariFest, but they must exist . . . What are
>>the best (and cheapest)?
>Use Turtle.  It is the best and the cheapest.
>Why should a backup program be memorable?

   Well, anything that fits my needs usually sticks in my memory a bit more
than this did.  The package was white, I remember that much . . .  And it
didn't do incremental backups.  So much for that.

   I guess I'll go with Turtle . . . I need some of the Magic disks from
Current Notes, anyway.  Thanks to those who've sent me advice.  Also, on
the subject of the monochrome monitor, well, I still need one, but my
original message seems to have created the false impression that I'll trade
my color monitor for a mono . . . no, thanks.  Besides, they have these new
color monitors that seem a lot better than this one I'm using now.  Look
for the contrast and brightness knobs UNDER the screen (which seems sharper).

--
Jared J. Brennan
BITNET: INS_BJJB@JHUVMS, INS_BJJB@JHUNIX
ARPA: ins_bjjb%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: {allegra!hopkins, ihnp4!whuxcc} !jhunix!ins_bjjb
"Sorry.  Wrong species . . ."