[comp.sys.atari.st] What's the deal with the repair kits, Neil?

morgan@nexus.dec.com (Mike Morgan -- DTN 522-5765) (10/25/87)

Neil Harris,

My sole, as in one and only in Colorado Springs, Atari dealer, who has sold
Ataris for about 3 years my not be selling the Mega series. He says
the $4000.00 layout for the repair kits is too much.

Why are you charging $4000.00 for the repair kit? Why is Atari acting like
IBM?

ljdickey@water.UUCP (10/27/87)

In article <11958@decwrl.DEC.COM> morgan@nexus.dec.com (Mike Morgan -- DTN 522-5765) writes:

>Why are you charging $4000.00 for the repair kit?
>Why is Atari acting like IBM?

Maybe folks at Atari think that is the way to survive...   ;^)

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey

neil@atari.UUCP (10/27/87)

In article <11958@decwrl.DEC.COM>, morgan@nexus.dec.com (Mike Morgan -- DTN 522-5765) writes:
> Neil Harris,
>
> My sole, as in one and only in Colorado Springs, Atari dealer, who has sold
> Ataris for about 3 years my not be selling the Mega series. He says
> the $4000.00 layout for the repair kits is too much.
>
> Why are you charging $4000.00 for the repair kit? Why is Atari acting like
> IBM?

In the past, the abilities of service centers to quickly respond to a
problem was impaired by an insufficient inventory of spare parts in the
field.  The repair kit for the Megas is _very_ extensive, with enough parts
to completely replace several systems.
--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

med@druhi.ATT.COM (DrapalME) (10/30/87)

In article <877@atari.UUCP>, neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
> In article <11958@decwrl.DEC.COM>, morgan@nexus.dec.com (Mike Morgan -- DTN 522-5765) writes:
> > Neil Harris,
> >
> > My sole, as in one and only in Colorado Springs, Atari dealer, who has sold
> > Ataris for about 3 years my not be selling the Mega series. He says
> > the $4000.00 layout for the repair kits is too much.
> >
> > Why are you charging $4000.00 for the repair kit? Why is Atari acting like
> > IBM?
>
> In the past, the abilities of service centers to quickly respond to a
> problem was impaired by an insufficient inventory of spare parts in the
> field.  The repair kit for the Megas is _very_ extensive, with enough parts
> to completely replace several systems.
> --
> --->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
> UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil
> GEnie: NHARRIS/ WELL: neil / BIX: neilharris / Delphi: NEILHARRIS
> CIS: 70007,1135 / Atari BBS 408-745-5308 / Usually the OFFICIAL Atari opinion

I hope by "several", you mean more than the dealer could buy at cost for $4000,
otherwise it seems that the quote from a Clint Eastwood movie might apply:
	"Scrap it Clyde..." ;-).
In any case, I think that the decision on whether or not to buy this repair
kit should be the dealers choice, not a prerequisite of becoming an
"authorized service center".

As far as the original poster is concerned, I could only suggest that he/she
drive a few more mile north here to Denver - there is at least one authorized
service center here who could solve any problems that might come up (sorry, no
advertizing here).  As far as I know, this dealership is going to be carrying
the MEGAs - they are expecting their first systems any day now...

						Myron Drapal
						AT&T
						Denver, Co.
						..!ihnp4!druhi!med

drs@bnl.ARPA (David R. Stampf) (11/02/87)

In article <877@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
>In the past, the abilities of service centers to quickly respond to a
>problem was impaired by an insufficient inventory of spare parts in the
>field.  The repair kit for the Megas is _very_ extensive, with enough parts
>to completely replace several systems.
>--
>--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
>UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil
>GEnie: NHARRIS/ WELL: neil / BIX: neilharris / Delphi: NEILHARRIS
>CIS: 70007,1135 / Atari BBS 408-745-5308 / Usually the OFFICIAL Atari opinion

	I'm so happy to see that Atari has finally acquired some sense of
responsibility!  Could it be that we will also find gem documentation at the
dealer (which this same Neil Harris said was at the publishers way back in
1986!).  I wish that Neil would understand that we also need repair kits
for the software as well.

	Somehow, I'm more likely to believe that Atari is screwing us again,
rather than looking out for our best interests.  Profit margins on hardware
are much higher for hardware than books I suppose.

	< dave

(P.S. Any truth to the rumor that we will see UNIX running on one of the
mega models in our lifetime?)

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (11/09/87)

> In any case, I think that the decision on whether or not to buy this repair
> kit should be the dealers choice, not a prerequisite of becoming an
> "authorized service center".

I totally disagree.

One current problem is the slow turnaround from repair centers lacking in
spare parts.

Having the dealer carry a substantial inventory of these is a good way to
ensure that our consumers get prompt service.

--

med@druhi.ATT.COM (DrapalME) (11/12/87)

In article <881@atari.UUCP>, neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
> > In any case, I think that the decision on whether or not to buy this repair
> > kit should be the dealers choice, not a prerequisite of becoming an
> > "authorized service center".
>
> I totally disagree.
>
> One current problem is the slow turnaround from repair centers lacking in
> spare parts.
>
> Having the dealer carry a substantial inventory of these is a good way to
> ensure that our consumers get prompt service.

	And I guess that is the real problem here... I talked with
one of the local dealers, and they plan to fix MEGAS just like they
fix 520/1040's ===> "Oh, so your ST is sick?  Bring it in and we'll charge
you X dollars, and you can take it with you...  Never mind that the
serial number is different."  That's right... most dealers here fix STs
by simply replacing them with a new one - very "prompt service", and they
don't need (or intend) to use your $4000 worth of parts!

	And besides, who do you think really pays for those part
anyway ;-(.  I think that this whole thing boils down to Atari wanting
the "image" (or should that be "look and feel" ;-)) of an IBM
dealer - high prices, fast service, and very few customers who can
afford all of that glitter.

						Myron Drapal
						AT&T
						Denver, Co.