[comp.sys.atari.st] GULAM, Transputers, comp.*.atari.st

lean@sbcs (Lean L. Loh) (11/13/87)

I completely agree with Michael Ferran.  A 20K posting of 'news' from Comdex,
which is essentially a 20K posting of praise for the ST does NOT belong in
comp.sys.amiga.  Come on fellows. It doesn't take too much common sense to
know that such posting is not welcomed in comp.sys.amiga nor of any particular
use.  I'm sure we ST people wouldn't like to see a posting of PRODUCTS for
the Amiga on our group either.  And to see that article cross-posted so many
times really makes me think there are id__ts in this world.

Regarding comp.binaries|sources.atari.st, I agree that there has been less
articles posted there than what we might like to see.  However, we have to
realize that Jim Turner is not paid for doing this, and he has a full-time
job to take care of at the same time. I like to suggest the following:

  i)  if you have a relatively small program ( <= 15K ) and have tested it
      adequately, then post it straight to comp.sys.atari.st

 ii)  if you have a BIGGIE ( > 50K ) to post, test it thoroughly and mail it
      to JIM TURNER.

iii)  if you have a program that falls between the other 2 ranges, then
      either test it very thoroughly (and I mean very thoroughly - like
      thorough enough that even Microsoft will buy it) and
      post it straight to comp.sys.atari.st (assuming that it's something
      useful)  or  test it adequately and mail it to Jim.

I've found a 'bug' in the recently posted GULAM.  If you cat a file and then
abort it halfway with ^C, you'll be thrown back to the desktop.  But the new
GULAM is really great!  Thanks Prabhaker and Jwahar !

--
CSNET: lean@sbcs.csnet
ARPA: lean%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

jafischer@tiger.UUCP (11/17/87)

In article <816@sbcs.sunysb.edu> lean@sbcs (Lean L. Loh) writes:
>I completely agree with Michael Ferran.  A 20K posting of 'news' from Comdex,
>which is essentially a 20K posting of praise for the ST does NOT belong in
>comp.sys.amiga.

	(The cross-posting of _this_ article is intentional, since it's
the amiga folks who deserve the apology).

	I'm going to keep this response short, since I was recently made
aware of an unenforced policy here at the U of Waterloo which restricts
posting by undergrads to non-local groups.  Please, folks, when I posted
the pseudo news from Antic, I obviously didn't notice the cross-posting in
the Newsgroups: line.  No excuse, so please accept my apologies; however,
slinging insults around is uncalled for.  And I know that _I_ appreciate
seeing articles like the one I posted, even as biased as they are.

	I had no connection with the duplication of the article, a few
days later.  Someone seems to have started to respond, and then accidentally
sent the article instead of aborting.
--
				- Jonathan A. Fischer
				jafischer@lily.waterloo.edu