[comp.sys.atari.st] NeWS for the ST ??

menton%v5130b.DECnet@acoustics.nrl.MIL ("V5130B::MENTON") (11/03/87)

      The 26 Oct. 87 issue of "digital review" magazine claims that Sun
MicroSystems' "NeWS" windowing system exists for the Atari 520ST.  Can anyone
verify this information?  I saw a discussion of this topic on the net not too
long ago, but I wasn't paying attention; now, I'm interested.  If it exists,
can it be purchased or is it public domain?  My vague recollection is that
someone at Sun had indeed put NeWS on the ST, but with no intentions of making
it available to the world.

      					Bob Menton
      					ARPAnet:MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS.ARPA

------

jwl@mas1.UUCP (James W. Livingston) (11/16/87)

In article <8711031416.AA14648@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "V5130B::MENTON" <menton%v5130b.decnet@acoustics.nrl.mil> writes:

>      The 26 Oct. 87 issue of "digital review" magazine claims that Sun
>MicroSystems' "NeWS" windowing system exists for the Atari 520ST.  Can anyone
>verify this information?  I saw a discussion of this topic on the net not too
>long ago, but I wasn't paying attention; now, I'm interested.  If it exists,
>can it be purchased or is it public domain?  My vague recollection is that
>someone at Sun had indeed put NeWS on the ST, but with no intentions of making
>it available to the world.
>
>      					Bob Menton
>      					ARPAnet:MENTON@NRL-ACOUSTICS.ARPA
>
>------

I'd like to add to the brief information in the sidebar of the article
you cite.  The information that a NeWS server exists for the 520 ST
comes from two sources:  first, James Gosling said it was done as an
excercise in a talk he gave on NeWS at the 1986 Fall DECUS symposium in
San Francisco.  Second, the same assertion appeared in the
transparencies used in a seminar given by Sun Microsystems on NeWS.

In neither case was there the suggestion that the implementation was
for sale, nor available via some public domain channel; my guess is
that your "vague recollection" is correct, and it's not, but the best
way to find out is to contact Sun directly.

Jim

--
James W. Livingston, Jr.		Measurex Automation Systems
..!codas!mas1!jwl			10411 Bubb Road

NeWS was ported to the ST, by a person here at Sun. It was based on some
beta code (which is now mostly different), and it was a server only.
Meaning that you could talk to a Sun via SLIP and have suntools run
on the ST. This made the ST a nice terminal for the Sun. It is *NOT*
a replacement for GEM and it is *NOT* being marketed or sold. If you
are interested in porting NeWS you can buy a source license and do so.
$25,000 commercial, much less for Universities, although if you want
to redistribute the port you need to get the commercial license.

--Chuck McManis