[comp.sys.atari.st] Binarys+source

870646c@aucs.UUCP (comer) (11/05/87)

Hi all, it's me again, I am just wondering one thing "Why are the binary and
source news groups so dead?". There seems to be no activity at all on these
news groups. Can anyone enlighten me as to the reason, I for one would
like to see more of these great "Public Domain Programs" posted. I tried
to post some stuff the other day, and it just disappeared.
later
Barry

ljdickey@water.UUCP (11/05/87)

In article <508@aucs.UUCP> 870646c@aucs.UUCP (comer) writes:
>Hi all, it's me again, I am just wondering one thing "Why are the binary and
>source news groups so dead?". There seems to be no activity at all on these
>news groups. Can anyone enlighten me as to the reason, I for one would
>like to see more of these great "Public Domain Programs" posted. I tried
>to post some stuff the other day, and it just disappeared.

I think it is time to relax rules for posting.  A number of
people recently have written, expressing concern about the
lack of postings.  This group used to be one of the most
active, and had  *lots*  of software.

Now, only occasional things get posted.  The time that we introduced
a "moderator" for the two groups

	comp.binaries.atari.st
	comp.sources.atari.st

seems to be the time of the big slow-down in postings.

I propose that the "moderator" restriction be removed from these
two groups, and that people be allowed to post directly to them.

There can still be a role for a moderator.  After a program
is posted, if the moderator wishes to post a note of endorsement
or condemnation, he/she may do so.

Those who choose to be conservative in trying out new
program may wait for the praise or censure and then may
follow this advise.

I am not happy with the current state of affairs.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey

rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) (11/06/87)

In article <508@aucs.UUCP>, 870646c@aucs.UUCP (comer) writes:
> Hi all, it's me again, I am just wondering one thing "Why are the binary and
> source news groups so dead?".

I wonder too.  In fact, I sent some stuff to turner@daisy earlier this week;
IF I don't either 1) see it go out, OR 2) get mail from Mr. Turner that it
was received and is pending (or that he doesn't think it suitable - that's
OK by me, I'm not an egomaniac about my code) OR 3) see something from Mr.
Turner in this group, THEN I'm gonna post it myself & d*mn the torpedoes.

Does this sentiment strike a chord out there?

--
Ross Alexander,
Athabasca University

alberta!auvax!rwa

turner@daisy.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (11/10/87)

> In article <508@aucs.UUCP>, 870646c@aucs.UUCP (comer) writes:
>> Hi all, it's me again, I am just wondering one thing "Why are the binary and
>> source news groups so dead?".
>
> I wonder too.  In fact, I sent some stuff to turner@daisy earlier this week;
> IF I don't either 1) see it go out, OR 2) get mail from Mr. Turner that it
> was received and is pending (or that he doesn't think it suitable - that's
> OK by me, I'm not an egomaniac about my code) OR 3) see something from Mr.
> Turner in this group, THEN I'm gonna post it myself & d*mn the torpedoes.
>
> Does this sentiment strike a chord out there?
>
> --
> Ross Alexander,
> Athabasca University
>
> alberta!auvax!rwa

a) I haven't seen anything from you, are you sure you sent it to the right
address ???? b) this ain't fun, if the concensus of opinion is that the
moderated newsgroups are a bottleneck then tell me and i will dissolve
them. this is not sour grapes nor a grandstand play, but if the feeling
of the net is that this is not a service, then say so.

bleeding dumb 50% rule &*^$*&^%(*&^

--
C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est la pomme de terre
...{decwrl|ucbvax}!imagen!atari!daisy!turner (James M. Turner)

weaver@tut.UUCP (11/12/87)

Jim:

	Pluuuuuease do not discontinue the groups.  I get your postings fine
and I appreciate your testing of the software.  You won't hear any complaints
from this poor college student who appreciates the free software that floats
along here!

Cheers,

--
Andrew Weaver, The Ohio State University College of Business
UUCP: ...!cbosgd!cis.ohio-state.edu!weaver    | "This ain'ta my planet,
					      |  - Emilio Lizardo

aeusesma@csun.UUCP (steve acheson) (11/18/87)

[What does a line eater look like? How do they reproduce? :-)]

In article <1496@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> weaver@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Weaver) writes:
>Jim:
>	Pluuuuuease do not discontinue the groups.  I get your postings fine
>and I appreciate your testing of the software.  You won't hear any complaints
>from this poor college student who appreciates the free software that floats
>along here!
>Andrew Weaver, The Ohio State University College of Business

Jim:
	allow me to second this motion, I think you are doing a great job and
	ask you to please continue. I appreciate getting the tested software
	arced and encoded ready to use. Please keep up the good work.

	Now for something completely different.
	I am going on a far flung excursion to the land of wonder, the land
	down under, with suntanned beauties lying... ?? oh excuse me, I just
	slipped a little. To much late night TV, studying for finals, I guess.
	I wanted to ask if anybody down that way would have a spare ST I could
	get my hands on from time to time, to prevent withdrawal from taking
	another helpless computer junkie.
	(P.S. Any Uni's down there have space on their UNIX machines for
	someont to keep in correspondance with the uni back here? :-)

			This has been another example of what can happen
			to your children, given vitamin C at an early age.
						steve acheson

Steve Acheson, Cal State Univ, Northridge Computer Center
uucp: {sdcrdcf, ihnp4, hplabs, ttidca, psivax, csustan}!csun!aeusesma

greg@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Greg Franks) (11/19/87)

Please - lets not have anarchy on the source and binary groups.  The
headers that D'arc Angel puts in make automatic archiving simple and
painless.  Plucking stuff out of archive directories is much simpler
than plucking stuff out of news: "cp * dst" versus repeat{s file<CR><space>}.

That's my CDN$0.02 worth anyway (worth US$0.01 :-)).
--
Greg Franks             XIOS Systems Corporation, 1600 Carling Avenue,
(613) 725-5411          Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Z 8R8