[comp.sys.atari.st] Gulam notes

csrobe@nh.UUCP (Chip Roberson) (11/11/87)

A couple of comments and questions about Gulam.

1)  There is a command called 'sx' that is documented by referring you to
a command called 'rx', but rx doesn't exist.  Can someone tell me what these
commands do?

2)  From ue (emacs) when you type a ^K is 'temporarily' pops you into Gulam
and your editing buffers are not FREED.  The manual says to try this but
doesn't say how to return to emacs.  So far I only tried running emacs
then ^x^b to the buffer i was editing.  Is there a more direct way to return
to your editing after doing a ^z  (oops that was supposed to be a ^z not a
^k up there, sorry).

3)  Finally, in ue, if you do several delete-backward-words (M-BS) then do
a yank (^Y) your deletes will be restored in reverse order.  SO the line,
Delete this line backwards.
becomes
backwards. line this Delete
when you restore.

*^*^*^*^*^*

How does one get to atari-sources to find out what is there and to ultimately
upload or download (correct terminology?) something to/from them or is it
only a part of netnews.

thanks,
-chip
Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@icase.arpa
1105 London Company Way      BITNET:   $csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet
Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe
*(*please note change in UUCP address      ^^^^^^^^^^^  seismo is gone*)*

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (11/15/87)

In article <8711111729.AA06652@nh.wmcs.uucp> csrobe@nh.UUCP (Chip Roberson) writes:
>A couple of comments and questions about Gulam.
>
>1)  There is a command called 'sx' that is documented by referring you to
>a command called 'rx', but rx doesn't exist.  Can someone tell me what these
>commands do?

The command 'rx' is to receive, using xmodem protocol, and 'sx' is to send.
In the beta version that I have, I have used these commands to move
files back and forth between the remote 4.3 system at the office.
I put these lines in my GULAM.G file.

	set	rx_remote_cmd	'public xmodem st'
	set	sx_remote_cmd	'public xmodem rt'

I used the Gulam command

	% sx file.ext

to move a text file from the ST to the remote system and the command

	% rx file.ext

to receive a file.

>2)  From ue (emacs) when you type a ^Z is 'temporarily' pops you into Gulam
>and your editing buffers are not FREED.  The manual says to try this but
>doesn't say how to return to emacs.  So far I only tried running emacs
>then ^x^b to the buffer i was editing.  Is there a more direct way to return
>to your editing after doing a ^z .

Try the command 'fg' to bring the background job to the ForeGround.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey

870646c@aucs.UUCP (comer) (11/15/87)

Hi all, a few weeks ago I posted that I had my ST system for sale.
The reason for selling is to move up to a Mega 2. I have sold my
SF314,  and the Magic Sac,  I still have the 1040 ST and SM125 for
sale. Included with this machine is a new Parr. printer cable,
anti static dust cover, and Sub Battle from Epyx. The monitor
belongs to the local Atari dealer, but he will let me sell it with
the system to help me sell it,  so the monitor is brand new,  with
full warr.  If interested in this system reply here on the net  or
call me at 1-(902)-542-2312. I want $1100.00 Can. for the system.
I  will  most  likly through in any other  little  things  I  find
kicking around my desk.
later
Barry

billw@killer.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (11/20/87)

csrobe@nh.UUCP (Chip Roberson) writes:

>1)  There is a command called 'sx' [..] Can someone tell me what these
>commands [rx and sx] do?

They allow you to upload or download files via xmodem. The 'rx_remote_cmd' and
'sz_remote_cmd' options can be set; the GULAM.G file as distributed sets
these parameters to work with Chuck Forsberg's rz/sz package.

>2)  From ue (emacs) when you type a ^K is 'temporarily' pops you into Gulam
>and your editing buffers are not FREED. [..] Is there a more direct way to
>return to your editing after doing a ^z

Type 'fg' from the gulam prompt.

>3)  Finally, in ue, if you do several delete-backward-words (M-BS) then do
>a yank (^Y) your deletes will be restored in reverse order. [..]

So, delete it in the right direction.

>How does one get to atari-sources to find out what is there and to ultimately
>upload or download (correct terminology?) something to/from them or is it
>only a part of netnews.

It's a part of netnews, although certain people (like myself) keep archives.
Mine are available via anonymous UUCP; there MIGHT be one that's ftp'able out
there.
--
Bill Wisner, HASA "A" Division		..{codas,ihnp4}!killer!billw
"I don't mind at all.." -- Bourgeois Tagg