[comp.sys.atari.st] Uudecoding on UN*X

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) (11/16/87)

In article <4433@well.UUCP> dhawk@well.UUCP (David Hawkins) writes:
>Yup.  I saved all three parts to one file.  Edited it with vi
>and removed the header of the first part.  Searched for the
>line that started with  include
>and deleted it down to the table line of the second part and
>make it seamless, i.e.  all lines starting with   X
>and did the same connecting the second part to the third part.
>so when I finished the whole file looked the same (after the
>first table header) with each line starting with the same character.
>Ran uudecode on it.
>--
>David Hawkins       {ptsfa,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
>It is a luxury to be understood.   - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

I like to uudecode the files on the host UN*X machine, and then transfer
the arc files directly (takes less time...).  Since each part is
surrounded by News garbage, they have to be fitted together as described
above.  The editor method gets pretty tiring when you get 11 part archives!!
Here's what I do: First save each part in it's own file such that * will
reference the files in correct order (I use the part number 01, 02,...).
Then run this shell script with the files as arguments:
csh:
	#!/bin/csh
	file=$1
	sed -e '1,/^@ABCDEFG/d' -e '/^include/,$d/ $file > x.uue
	shift
	foreach file ($*)
	    sed -e '1,/^begin/d' -e '/^include/,$d/ $file >> x.uue
	end
	exit
ksh/sh:
	#!/bin/sh
	file=$1
	sed -e '1,/^@ABCDEFG/d' -e '/^include/,$d/ $file > x.uue
	shift
	for file in *
	    do sed -e '1,/^begin/d' -e '/^include/,$d/ $file >> x.uue
	done
	exit

Now run uudecode on ``x.uue''.  This works like a charm, and saves much
editing!!
--
Paul Close		paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, crash}!cacilj!paul

Shaw's Principle:
  Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.

usenet@delrio.cc.umich.edu (Usenet News) (11/17/87)

In article <463@cacilj.UUCP> paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:
%In article <4433@well.UUCP> dhawk@well.UUCP (David Hawkins) writes:
%>Yup.  I saved all three parts to one file.  Edited it with vi
%>and removed the header of the first part.  Searched for the
%>line that started with  include
%>and deleted it down to the table line of the second part and
%>make it seamless, i.e.  all lines starting with   X
%>and did the same connecting the second part to the third part.
%>so when I finished the whole file looked the same (after the
%>first table header) with each line starting with the same character.
%>Ran uudecode on it.
%>--
%
%I like to uudecode the files on the host UN*X machine, and then transfer
%the arc files directly (takes less time...).  Since each part is
%surrounded by News garbage, they have to be fitted together as described
%above.  The editor method gets pretty tiring when you get 11 part archives!!
%Here's what I do: [omitted]

For postings such as the 11 part Larn sources there's a much easier way!
First, look at the 'index' that Turner provides with each posting - the
part with the uuencoded lengths and checksums. Notice also that he lists
the name the file was saved as, e.g. larn12s.uaa. These files are labelled
to work with Jean-Pierre Dumas' uudecoder. The sources for that have been
posted - just compile that on your Unix box and go! When the files are
saved with the correct name, the uudecoder will automatically concatenate
things properly. You don't have to edit out the news headers either. That's
what those little 'include <filename>' lines are for, after all... Once
you have Dumas's decoder on your Unix box, it's just a matter of a couple
well chosen 'save' commands in your news reader, and the command 'uudecode'
will do all the grungy work. (And hey, isn't that the way things *should*
be?  }-) That's how I've been maintaining these archives... Now, if only
everyone would use Dumas' *en*coder all the time, then we'd be all set...
  -- Howard Chu
	University of Michigan Computing Center, Unix Project

dsmith@ihlpa.ATT.COM (D.E Smith) (11/19/87)

Paul Close recently posted a shell script to allow combining
a set of uuencoded files into a single file, eliminating the
News garbage, which can then be uudecoded. There were a couple
of typos in the posting.  Here is a corrected version which
works under sh.

# ksh/sh:
	#!/bin/sh
	file=$1
	sed -e '1,/^@ABCDEFG/d' -e '/^include/,$d' $file > x.uue
	shift
	for file in $*
	    do sed -e '1,/^begin/d' -e '/^include/,$d' $file >> x.uue
	done
	exit

> Now run uudecode on ``x.uue''.  This works like a charm, and saves much
> editing!!

			Den Smith
			..ihnp4!ihlpa!dsmith

uace0@uhnix2.UUCP (ATARI Computer Enthusiasts) (11/20/87)

I for one never saw the sources to uux posted for the unix, or the ST.  If
someone would send me a copy of the source so I could compile it on our unix, I
for one would be very happy.

- Mike Vederman
--
# It is morally wrong to let a sucker keep his money. # Atari Computer