[comp.sys.atari.st] need help - atari monitor adjustment

toml@xrxns.UUCP (Tom Love) (11/17/87)

i acquired a monochrome atari monitor for pretty cheap a few months back.
the only problem is that the display quality isn't really great.  though
the focus is sharp, the display occupies only a small area of the screen
itself, and the display image itself is slightly rotated (clockwise) so
that everything runs slightly downhill from left to right.
eons ago i recall seeing some postings about do-it-yourself adjustments to
the atari monitors.  does anyone have these archived away?  if so, i'd
greatly appreciate receiving them, or just a quick note from someone who
knows how to make these adjustments.  i know there is a way of enlarging
the image;  can the image be rotated too?  my setup looks pretty shabby
with a couple of dead floppies stuck under one side of the monitor to
level the image out!

thanks.

tom love
xerox edds
rochester!rocksanne!xrxns!toml

rich@lakesys.UUCP (Rich Dankert) (11/20/87)

In article <242@xrxns.UUCP> toml@xrxns.UUCP (Tom Love) writes:
>i acquired a monochrome atari monitor for pretty cheap a few months back.
>the only problem is that the display quality isn't really great.  though
>the focus is sharp, the display occupies only a small area of the screen
>itself, and the display image itself is slightly rotated (clockwise) so
>that everything runs slightly downhill from left to right.

	You can adjust the tilt, by rotating the yoke that is on the
picture tube, and resides on the neck and the base of the tube. Sounds
like all you have to do is loosen a holding screw and then gently turn the
yoke until the picture is straight.

	The picture can be enlarged by adjusting the Verticle lin and
the Vert Height adjustments inside the monitor. Be aware that you will
loose some resolution in doing this, and I myself have opted to leave it
as it came from Atari. I love the rez.

	Also be aware that the inside of the monitor is colted with a
material that IS CONDUCTIVE, and therefore if you do not unplug the speaker
and remove the back totally, you can have the possibiities of shorting the
monitor out, and thus costing repairs.

	Also be aware that there is HIGH VOLTAGE inside the monitor, and that
the CRT can retain a charge, thus causing an shock hazard.

	If you are in doubt, have some one that is more at home inside the
monitor for you can avoid problems. If in doubt DON'T DO IT YOURSELF, get
someone that has done this before, or has worked on Television sets, as they
would be much more aquainted with what to do.

	-rich

UUCP: {Ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!rich
Discalimer: The words,ideas,and expressions are my own, and not nessasarily
always correct, but you had a good idea that this was going to appear here
before you got here, RIGHT ?