[comp.sys.atari.st] Umix Access???

bill@IPSA.ARPA (Bill Pase) (11/18/87)

Could someone tell me how to access the files in the archives at Umix.
I've managed to 'ftp' there and even do the anonymous login, but I've
been unable to get any kind of directory listing.  My ftp always claims
there were 0 bytes transfered.  Have I logged on incorrectly or something?
Thanks in advance ... /bill

usenet@delrio.cc.umich.edu (Usenet News) (11/22/87)

In article <8711181920.AA04724@ipsa.arpa> bill@IPSA.ARPA (Bill Pase) writes:
>Could someone tell me how to access the files in the archives at Umix.
>I've managed to 'ftp' there and even do the anonymous login, but I've
>been unable to get any kind of directory listing.  My ftp always claims
>there were 0 bytes transfered.  Have I logged on incorrectly or something?
>Thanks in advance ... /bill

You'd probably have gotten help faster by sending me your question via
e-mail... You might also have been able to find more immediate help
from your colleagues where you work instead of posting a question to
the entire world.

From what I've seen, ftp always claims zero data bytes were transferred
when retrieving a directory listing. Maybe this is just a vagary of the
Berkeley Unix we run, maybe it's a genuine bug. Rather, it says zero
bytes at the beginning of the transfer, and shows a proper byte count at
the end of the directory listing.

One thing - if you're a genuine ARPAnet site, you may just be timing out.
Since we are on the NSFnet, and since we have something like a 4800 bps
link to the ARPAnet, it's entirely likely that you just got a really bad
connection... (Actually we have a 56kbps satellite link to NCAR, but that
tends to make routing a bit roundabout if you want to use it...) If you're
using 4.3 BSD, your ftp should have a 'reset' command. Issue that a
couple of times, that usually takes care of skewing and timing problems.

Actually, checking our log files, I see that an anonymous person from
ipsa.arpa has successfully logged in via ftp and retrieved a couple files,
so I guess your problem has already been solved. Maybe the networks are
clearing up this weekend...?
  -- Howard Chu
	University of Michigan Computing Center, Unix Project