[comp.sys.atari.st] Ground on DTACK?

jpdres13@usl-pc.UUCP (John Joubert) (11/18/87)

----------------------------

I have heard that Dr. Dobbs Journal put out an article to the effect that
if one were to ground DTACK, it would greatly improve the performance of
the 68000, providing that memory was faster than the 68000.

Does anyone think that this will work on the ST?

Could it cause any damage?

John Joubert                         |     /\  |    /\    |     _
jpdres13@usl-pc.USL                  |     \|<>|>|> \|<>|>|><`|`|
or ...                               |-----/|-------/|-----------------------
ut-sally!usl-pc!jpdres13             |     \/       \/

landon@apple.UUCP (Landon Dyer) (11/19/87)

In article <361@usl-pc.UUCP>, jpdres13@usl-pc.UUCP (John Joubert) writes:
> I have heard that Dr. Dobbs Journal put out an article to the effect that
> if one were to ground DTACK, it would greatly improve the performance of
> the 68000, providing that memory was faster than the 68000.
>
> Does anyone think that this will work on the ST?
>
> Could it cause any damage?

Grounding DTACK would cause your ST to stop working.  I don't think it
would generate any smoke, but the 68000 would no longer be able to get to
memory or some I/O locations reliably.

--

I speak for me.

sansom@trwrb.UUCP (Richard Sansom) (11/23/87)

What`s going on here?

>From: landon@apple.UUCP (Landon Dyer)

Does this mean that our last reliable inside source at Atari has jumped
ship?  Anyone out there interested in buying a 1040 (only half ;-) ?

-Rich
--
Richard E. Sansom
TRW Space & Defense, Redondo Beach, CA

ftw@datacube.UUCP (11/24/87)

Don't ground DTACK.  If your ST works at all after doing that, it will in
all likelyhood crash and burn VERY quickly.

DTACK is a signal to the 68K that tells it that data is ready to be read
or has finished writing.  DTACK is an acronym for Data Transfer ACKnowledge.
Grounding it would have the effect of asserting DTACK continuously, faking
the 68K into always beleiving that it can read its data lines, or that
a write has finished (and the data lines can now change state safely).

Don't do it.

				Farrell T. Woods

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
INTERNET: ftw@datacube.COM
UUCP: {rutgers, ihnp4, mirror}!datacube!ftw