[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari ST, Mac emulator and TOPS network

woslyng@arc.CDN (Fred Woslyng) (11/21/87)

Is is possible to connect an Atari 520 or 1040ST running a Macintosh
emulator (such as Magic Sac) to a TOPS network?

Macs are connected to the TOPS network through the serial port.  One problem
is Macs have a special chip to drive the serial port at 230K baud.  Also, the
custom chip may be doing more than just driving the port at high speed.  If
you have tried an Atari ST on TOPS or have an opinion to express, please reply
to either info-atari16 or directly to me.  Thanks.

Fred Woslyng                  ARPA:   woslyng%arc.cdn%ubc.csnet@relay.cs.net
Computing Department          BITNET: woslyng@arc.cdn
Alberta Research Council      CDNnet: woslyng@arc.cdn
Edmonton, Alberta             CSNET:  woslyng%arc.cdn@ubc.csnet
Canada                        UUCP:   ...alberta!arc.cdn!woslyng

cute@sphinx.UUCP (11/21/87)

In article <441*woslyng@arc.cdn> woslyng@arc.CDN (Fred Woslyng) writes:
>Is is possible to connect an Atari 520 or 1040ST running a Macintosh
>emulator (such as Magic Sac) to a TOPS network?
>
>Macs are connected to the TOPS network through the serial port.  One problem
>is Macs have a special chip to drive the serial port at 230K baud.  Also, the
>custom chip may be doing more than just driving the port at high speed.  If
 ^^^^^^^^^^^

The Macintosh serial ports are driven by a standard Zilog 8530 SCC on the
motherboard. It was chosen probably because it has such high-speed capabilities.
The fact that the AppleTalk device drivers (TOPS runs on AppleTalk) and hardware
absolutely require this chip makes it unlikely you'll be able to do what you
want without extra hardware. Unless of course Atari ALSO uses said chip for
THEIR serial ports. Anyone know?

...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!cute
(insert pithy quote here)

rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) (11/22/87)

In article <2698@sphinx.uchicago.edu>, cute@sphinx.uchicago.edu (John Cavallino) writes:
> In article <441*woslyng@arc.cdn> woslyng@arc.CDN (Fred Woslyng) writes:
> >Is is possible to connect an Atari 520 or 1040ST running a Macintosh
> >emulator (such as Magic Sac) to a TOPS network?
> The Macintosh serial ports are driven by a standard Zilog 8530 SCC on the
> motherboard. [...] Unless of course Atari ALSO uses said chip for
> THEIR serial ports. Anyone know?

Atari uses two different chips for serial i/o.  The modem port is
driven by a Motorola MC68901 "Multi-Function Peripheral" (MFP) chip,
while the midi port gets its bits from a Motorola MC6850
"Asynchronous Communications Interface Adaptor" (ACIA).  We can
essentailly forget about the midi port in this discussion because
1) it's clocked at a fixed rate and thus we can't tweak the baud to
match Appletalk & 2) it's an asynchronous-only part (ACIA, right ;-).

OK, now the MFP is a little more flexible than the ACIA.  We can get
it to run async up to 62.5 Kbps, and synchronously up to 1Mbps [an
aside: my source for _all_ this stuff is the Mostek MK68901 write-up
that came with my (otherwise almost *totaly* useless) Developer's
Kit.  Sure hope it's better than some of the other info; flame,
flame!!].

However, there's a rub (and I don't have my Zilog books handy, but
I'm pretty sure about this), and that's that the Z8350 is a fairly
clever little fellah and knows about things like HDLC bit stuffing
and framing, and how to generate/check CRC's on the fly, and station
address recognition, and a lot of other stuff which is good to be
handled by the serial chip rather than the CPU, especially in a
machine as lethargic as a Mac (well, a Mac's lethargic compared to a
Sun 3, and that's what I'm used to...) when you're in a network
environment and there's a lot of traffic on the backbone which isn't
addressed to you in particular, but you have to watch it all anyway
because some might be for you eventually.  Good grief, what a
horrible sentence!  But I think that's the case.  Whereas the 68901
can sync up to the input datastream and receive/xmit but it has no
idea of bit stuffing or CRC's or any of that good stuff.  Which
means somebody else (and it's not going to be the power supply,
foax) is going to have to supply the smarts.

Now assuming Appletalk is built on top of all the nice HDLC stuff
that the Z8350 manages so nicely (seems like a safe bet to me; I
would have done it that way myself, and Apple never puts hardware in
their machines that they don't use to the max), the MFP is at a bit
of a disadvantage.  The CPU is going to have to do all the clever
stuff; and I would expect the overhead to be pretty painful.
Especially all the bit stuffing; lots of shifting and masking and
partial-word assembly.  CRC's, on the other hand, are easy enough.
Still, the overhead gets you down, especially if there are other
stations out there on the net - the 68000 is standing there taking
interrupts off the 68901, checking the station address, finds the
packet's not for him, great - we can throw it away, but in the
meantime the user (that's US foax) is standin there waiting for a
compile to get done or whatever and its not going along very fast
:-(.

Any Appletalk gurus out there?  I'm just looking at datasheets and
thinking about implementations and bottlenecks.  But it's for sure
the 68901 is not a very clever synchronous part at all, at all.

Ross Alexander, Athabasca University
alberta!auvax!rwa

egisin@orchid.waterloo.edu (Eric Gisin) (11/23/87)

In the reference article, Ross Alexander writes about appletalk and the ST's 68901.

I don't think it would be feasible.  Appletalk has a bit rate of 230K,
or about 80K characters per second.
The Mac's serial controller is interrupt driven, but has a 3 byte silo.

The 68901 has a single byte buffer, and would have process interrupts in 12 useconds,
or do polled IO.  It would also have to do bit stuffing on the fly to find flag
sequences. The 68000 is not quite fast enough for all that.

dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) (11/26/87)

In the referenced article, the question is asked: Can the ST under the Magic
Sac run TOPS local area network.

  We have TOPS here in house, and it isn't compatible with the Magic Sac.
As many here on the net already surmised, TOPS talks directly with the
SCC in the Mac to achieve high speed. The Atari has no comparable hardware
and thus can't be connected. This is also why we've never supported Appletalk
on the Magic Sac.
 -- Thanks, Dave
  Dave Small / Engineer / Data Pacific (Magic Sac folks)
(and complete Net novice, but I'm trying..)