[comp.sys.atari.st] empire: which is which?

ejc@rayssdb.RAY.COM (Edward J. Casey) (11/03/87)

The ongoing argument about "Empire" (a copyrighted word?) is rather
interesting.  If the term "Empire" is copyrighted, then what about
the British Empire? or the many other Empires in history?  While
Bright may have his version copyrighted etc. that just seems to me
that he was faster than others who have written games called Empire.
I've played and greatly enjoyed the Langston version on serveral
occasions.  I played the Bright version once.

The big questions now are:
1-  Do I infringe on copyright laws by playing a mainframe version
of "Empire" that isn't close to the Bright version?  Afterall it
starts off by saying "Welcome to Empire".  Comment Mr. Bright?

2-  Is the Interstel Corp version of Empire the only authorized
version of the game now?  What about the Empire that Electronic Arts
has?  Computer Creations' ad on page 67 of the Fall 87 issue of
START has it listed for $39.  S.D. of A. sells it for $33.  Neither
has the Interstel Corp (Bright) version.  Is Electronic Arts in the
process of being sued?  Are companies that sell "the wrong version"
being sued?  Comments Mr. Bright?

3-  Does anyone know the difference between the two ST versions?
Which one is more fun? More challenging?  Legal?
--
When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly.

ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) (11/10/87)

In article <1806@rayssdb.RAY.COM> ejc@rayssdb.RAY.COM (Edward J. Casey) writes:
>2-  Is the Interstel Corp version of Empire the only authorized
>version of the game now?  What about the Empire that Electronic Arts
>has?  Computer Creations' ad on page 67 of the Fall 87 issue of
>START has it listed for $39.  S.D. of A. sells it for $33.  Neither
>has the Interstel Corp (Bright) version.  Is Electronic Arts in the

   The summary line says it all . . . Electronic Arts is distributing for
Interstel.  $33?  Rats . . . I paid $38.  Oh, well . . .

   The ST version of Bright's Empire is very fast and I like its
extensions to the original.  Unfortunately, the color screen on the ST burns
out my eyes faster than any of the minicomputer terminals ever did . . .

   One question for Mr. Bright (assuming he reads this):  Is the PC version of
Empire out yet?  The local software stores have all bull$#!++ed me about it . .

--
Jared J. Brennan
BITNET: INS_BJJB@JHUVMS, INS_BJJB@JHUNIX

bright@dataio.Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (11/10/87)

In article <5431@jhunix.UUCP> ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) writes:
>   One question for Mr. Bright (assuming he reads this):  Is the PC version of
>Empire out yet?  The local software stores have all bull$#!++ed me about it . .

Interstel is handling all further development, including the IBM PC version.
I don't know what the current status of the PC version is.

rmpinchback@watmath.UUCP (12/01/87)

The PC version of Empire is a public domain program.  It can be found on
dozens of PC-oriented bulletin boards.  Recently, Empire 2 came out as well.
I haven't tried it yet, so I can't comment on the differences.

	Reid
 	----