[comp.sys.atari.st] 68881

870646c@aucs.UUCP (11/25/87)

I am going out on a limb here, there is a fellow here at school from Germany that says that in Germany there are upgrades to allow you to install a 68881
math chip in the present ST's. Well I thought I would get ahold of Atari
and ask them, well it seems that Michtron in Germany is indeed offering this
upgrade??? Could someone out there please verify this to be true. And if it
is true what are the chances of some the compilers being upgraded to use the
upgrade(it sure would make CAD 2.0 fly).
later
Barry

ws1i+@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (11/30/87)

	Heck, if you can get this upgrade who cares about the compilers!
I'll write my own C library so that I can use it!  Does anybody know anything
about it?

t68@nikhefh.UUCP (Jos Vermaseren) (12/02/87)

In article <sVgPeNy00W0syMM0Z7@andrew.cmu.edu>, ws1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (William Manchester Shubert) writes:

> 	Heck, if you can get this upgrade who cares about the compilers!
> I'll write my own C library so that I can use it!  Does anybody know anything
> about it?

In Germany there are two companies making a plug in 68881 board. You plug the
(little) board on top of a chip and put some connectors somewhere else and
presto. I only know the name of one of these companies:
Weide elektronik
Regerstr. 34
D-4010 Hilden
W.Germany
They charge something around DM1000 for it.

The 68881 is memory mapped for its communication so one cannot get the
same speed as with the link between the 68020 and the 68881. The 68881 runs
at 16Mhz. Most of the time is spent in sending numbers to and from the
coprocessor. A good gain can be obtained when special dedicated assembler
routines can perform subtasks in the registers of the coprocessor or when
many built in functions ( sin and cos etc ) are used. For a computational
program the typical gain is a factor three to four over a software library,
but this can run up to a factor 50 for a benchmark like the Savage test.

It will indeed be necessary to do some hacking inside the compilers library
as the only software support that is provided with the package is in the
form of a set of external routines so that a multiplication is done via
	c = mult(a,b) rather than c = a*b which is a royal pain in the
neck and renders the thing almost useless. A decent hacker has an easy time
to disassemble the c/fortran/pascal library of his favourite compiler
and replace the appropriate routines by calls to the coprocessor. There are
complications though: some compilers don't use IEEE format: Most notably
the Mark Williams compiler. Both the Fortran compilers ( ProFortran and
AC/Fortran (=Absoft) ) use IEEE and so does Lattice C. I assume that the
ProPascal package also uses IEEE.

Good Luck.

Jos Vermaseren
T68@nikhefh.uucp