[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Marketing Strat. --- con't

EJGEORGE@SUNSET.BITNET (12/06/87)

Neil,

       I've been reading this newsletter for quite a while now, but this is
the first time I've put in my word.

       I'd classify myself as an average Atari ST user; I have a basic 520mono
set-up w/ SD drive, an Anchor modem and a Panasonic printer.  I like my set-up
VERY much (although I'd like to move up in memory, etc).  I bought a basic
Atari 800 about '83 and used it a lot (my father still uses it).  I decided
to upgrade with-in Atari because I liked the 800 and the company, and it was
cheaper than a MAC.  I always felt the 800 was nearly equivilent to the
Apple II and told all my friends that.  Now that I have the ST I do feel it is
equivilent to the MAC (well it COULD be!).  Now here's the thing...

       There has been much talk for quite awhile about many things that the
Atari Co. should be doing.  These comments and suggestions are from LOYAL and
SATISFIED users.  This is perhaps the *BEST* market research that could be
done.  Not only are most of the users on the net loyal and satisfied, but most
(if not all) are intelligent college students/faculty.  WHY NOT LISTEN TO US?

       We like Atari and we want Atari to do well just as you do!  Please
give us, your users, credit, and use some of the suggestions presented here.
A commercial or two is not going to Bust the Atari Corp.  In fact it will
probably do just the opposite! (wouldn't that be nice?)  Advertising is an
age-old business...it's been working for a LONG time...why not try some?  I'm
sure this is obvious (is it?) but if you advertise, people will buy more
atari's, software writers will be more willing to write for the ST, there will
be more ST software, more people will now buy the Atari because it is
supported, more software will be written, etc., etc., and Atari now out-sells
both Apple and IBM (O.K., maybe I won't push it that far), but you get the
point.

       Anyway... you get my drift, Neil.  I really like the Atari, and I want
to see it succede (and I want to be able to tell my friends with MAC's where
they can **A-hem**).  Please give us something to be proud about!  Give us
a company that really does care about its customers!  Thanks!

Edwin George
Syracuse University
EJGEORGE@SUNSET.bitnet

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (12/08/87)

In article <8712061737.AA05104@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, EJGEORGE@SUNSET.BITNET writes:

> Neil,

>        There has been much talk for quite awhile about many things that the
> Atari Co. should be doing.  These comments and suggestions are from LOYAL
> and SATISFIED users.  This is perhaps the *BEST* market research that could
> be done.  Not only are most of the users on the net loyal and satisfied,
> but most (if not all) are intelligent college students/faculty.  WHY NOT
> LISTEN TO US?

Yes, we are listening.  And we do appreciate the input, and even the flames.
You care.

Sometimes there are factors in operation that are not obvious outside the
company.  So we cannot always take your advice.

So keep it coming.
--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

bob@wiley.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) (12/09/87)

In article <8712061737.AA05104@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> EJGEORGE@SUNSET.BITNET writes:
>done.  Not only are most of the users on the net loyal and satisfied, but most
>(if not all) are intelligent college students/faculty.  WHY NOT LISTEN TO US?

Excuse me, but college students and faculty are not the only users out there.
Personally I'm offended by the fact that you imply that there is no more
important opinion than that of someone at a university. I think you would
be surprised at how many professionals read "the net" on a regular basis.
Believe it or not, we, too, have some degree of intelligence (No, it didn't
go away when we gradutated).

Personally, I think it wise of Atari to adhere to their own marketing
strategy. I may be wrong, but I don't believe that the average net reader
has enough information to tell Atari how to conduct business. Let Atari
decide on its own whether or not to run commercials.

On the other hand, I hope that Atari does listen to us when we have
technical complaints because we are users and it is our word of mouth
that sells their computers.
--

		---Bob Amstadt
		bob@wiley.uucp