[comp.sys.atari.st] Colorburst

IHLS400@INDYCMS (Holly Lee Stowe) (12/01/87)

For those of you who have expressed an interest in Spectrum 512 and
"that other program", I have a copy of Colorburst 3000 from Beery'sBit.
(Not too difficult considering that Andrew Beery works at our local
Atari dealership and is a member of the local user group...)

I still have a lot of things to do and try with it, but in a nutshell,
save your money right now, but you'll probably want to buy it soon.
Colorburst will put 800+ colors on the screen in low res, 200+ on the
screen in medium res.  No small feat, obviously.  BUT... in the first
release, there are still some bugs in the package and the manual is
(quite frankly) horrid.  I was told by Kevin VanHook (who is just now
releasing Comics On Disk), that they did a bit of rushing on the manual,
and it shows.  This program will not be for the faint of heart, but it
will do as advertised.  With the next release (it's being worked on),
many of the bugs should be history and the manual in a new and improved
form.  The good news is that although Colorburst itself is NOT PD,
Beery'sBit has included the source code for the program in the manual
so the user has it available if needed.

I really think that Colorburst will be a terrific addition to your
program library, but wait just a bit longer...

(The cost for the general public is $39.95, if I'm not mistaken.)

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.  I'll try and help.

-Holly...If something is preposterous, does it later become postposterous?
BITNet:  IHLS400@INDYCMS
UUCP:    ...!rutgers!iuvax!cguild!whipple!farm!holly
         ...!rutgers!indycms.bitnet!ihls400
GEnie:   HOLLYSTOWE
---> Bite here, line eater.

koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) (12/09/87)

In article <8712082256.AA29067@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> IHLS400@INDYCMS (Holly Lee Stowe) writes:

>For those of you who have expressed an interest in Spectrum 512 and
>"that other program", I have a copy of Colorburst 3000 from Beery'sBit.
>(Not too difficult considering that Andrew Beery works at our local
>Atari dealership and is a member of the local user group...)
>
>I still have a lot of things to do and try with it, but in a nutshell,
>save your money right now, but you'll probably want to buy it soon.

If it uses the same display routine that the Colorburst demo posted to the
net, save your money.  That was a flickery demo that gave me a headache after
a few minutes, and certainly did NOT give the illusion of having more than
the usual number of colors on the screen.  Yuck.

+New! Improved! Now 100% Artificial-+-+-----------------------------------+
|#   #  @@@  ****  &&&&& $$$$$ %   %| |Steven Grimm                       |
|#  #  @   @ *   * &       $   %   %+-+ ARPA: koreth@ucscb.ucsc.edu       |
|###   @   @ ****  &&&&    $   %%%%%| | UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth|
|#  #  @   @ * *   &       $   %   %+-+     ______________________________|
|#   #  @@@  *  ** &&&&&   $   %   %| |     |"Let's see what's out there."|
+-----with NutraSour(TM)!  No natural colors or preservatives!------------+

c9c-eh@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU (Warner Young (WHY)) (12/10/87)

In article <1359@saturn.ucsc.edu> koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) writes:
>In article <8712082256.AA29067@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> IHLS400@INDYCMS (Holly Lee Stowe) writes:

>>For those of you who have expressed an interest in Spectrum 512 and
>>"that other program", I have a copy of Colorburst 3000 from Beery'sBit.
>>(Not too difficult considering that Andrew Beery works at our local
>>Atari dealership and is a member of the local user group...)

>If it uses the same display routine that the Colorburst demo posted to the
>net, save your money.  That was a flickery demo that gave me a headache after
>a few minutes, and certainly did NOT give the illusion of having more than
>the usual number of colors on the screen.  Yuck.
>
> |Steven Grimm                       |
>-+ ARPA: koreth@ucscb.ucsc.edu       |
> | UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth|
>-+     ______________________________|

	As far as I know, only one Colorburst demo was posted on the net.  I
downloaded that one, and I was actually impressed.  It DID give the illusion
of having more colors on the screen (16 shades/intensities/whatevers of
blue, 16 of red, and 16 of purple).  I don't know why green wasn't chosen
instead, as that would have been a better "proof" that the program could
show all those 3000+ colors.  There was slight flickering, but only in one
column of colors.  On the whole, it worked really well.  And the plus side,
if Colorburst works by switching the display screen, is that it doesn't
hog CPU time the way that Spectrum does.  But then, what do I know?

Disclaimer:  I'm not associated with		 \  /\   /arner
	the latest revision of SANITY.		  \/  \_/
Address: ucbvax!dorothy!c9c-eh			        |oung
	 c9c-eh@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU		     \__|

"color, color, glorious color!"