[comp.sys.atari.st] Number of ST's out there and GDOS fonts

cp78@sdcc15.UUCP (11/30/87)

Well, I just have two questions.
First, does anybody know the exact number of ST's sold so far?  How about that
of Amiga?

Second, is there any PD GDOS fonts?  Any GDOS font editor?  I am using Easy-Draw
and would like to have more fonts.  Migraph is selling font packages, including
2 fonts, at $30 each.  I think that's kind of expensive.  Also, is Digas fonts
useable with Easy-Draw?  Any information will be approciated.

In article <394@sdcc15.UUCP> cp78@sdcc15.UUCP (Tai,Li-Cheng) writes:
> First, does anybody know the exact number of ST's sold so far?

No, but I would like to hear from someone who does.

> How about that of Amiga?

Commodore, has said 230K as of June 30 '87 with an estimated 500K by
Dec 30 '87. As recently as last week they said they would have 'no trouble'
meeting that number. Note that they are experiencing heavier than expected
demand for the 2000 because a lot of 1000 owners seem to be taking advantage
of the trade-in policy to upgrade. So that 500K number will include some
extra 2000's which are really 2000 + 1000 owners. But since they only got
to about 150K 1000s out there it won't be a significant number (maybe 20K?)

--Chuck McManis

gardner@prls.UUCP (Robert Gardner) (12/01/87)

In article <35030@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In article <394@sdcc15.UUCP> cp78@sdcc15.UUCP (Tai,Li-Cheng) writes:
>> First, does anybody know the exact number of ST's sold so far?
>
>No, but I would like to hear from someone who does.
>
>> How about that of Amiga?
>
>Commodore, has said 230K as of June 30 '87 with an estimated 500K by
>Dec 30 '87.

And just as interesting and important a question is:

Where are these machines going?
Are most of the ST's going to homes, businesses, or other?
I have heard that most of the Amiga's are going to graphic art shops
rather than homes or traditional businesses.
What types of software sell best on these machines -- home/entertainment
or productivity?
Does anyone know? Does anyone know how I can find out?

Robert Gardner
P.S. I actually LIKE seeing Atari advertising its game systems so heavily.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I sure get upset seeing these computer companies that
finally put together a powerful, usable machine that can have LOTS of
potential benefit for children and home use abandoning the home and
educational markets for the business market. Is it really that bad to
sell to the home and educational markets? Apple abandons the low-end market,
leaving it wide open for Atari and what does Atari seem to be doing?
Abandoning the market...

c60a-2ae@web6b.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (John Kawakami -O^O-,,,) (12/02/87)

In article <7755@prls.UUCP> gardner@prls.UUCP (Robert Gardner) writes:

>Robert Gardner
>P.S. I actually LIKE seeing Atari advertising its game systems so heavily.
>Maybe I'm crazy, but I sure get upset seeing these computer companies that
>finally put together a powerful, usable machine that can have LOTS of
>potential benefit for children and home use abandoning the home and
>educational markets for the business market. Is it really that bad to
>sell to the home and educational markets? Apple abandons the low-end market,
>leaving it wide open for Atari and what does Atari seem to be doing?
>Abandoning the market...

I'm also a fan of the home market, but the business market is where the
business is.(pun intended)  Let's face it.  Most home users buy a bare bones
system or a mid-size system and wait for prices to drop a bit before buying.
I don't know of many casual users shelling out 700 bucks for a 30mb disk.
Besides, the home market does not buy overpriced service contracts and expensive
software.  There is just more money to be made by selling 10 full blown systems
to a business rather than trying to sell 5 systems in a town.  Besides, not too
many average people have a need for a computer _system_ whic is usually quite
expensive.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| JoHn KaWaKaMi alias spectacle -O^O- alias c60a-2ae@widow.berkley.edu      |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. Rupp) (12/11/87)

   In article <6145@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> c60a-2ae@web6b.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (John Kawakami -O^O-) writes:
   >I'm also a fan of the home market, but the business market is where the
   >business is.(pun intended)  Let's face it. .......

   >..... Besides, not too
   >many average people have a need for a computer _system_ whic is usually
   >quite >expensive.
   >
  >| JoHn KaWaKaMi alias spectacle -O^O- alias c60a-2ae@widow.berkley.edu      |

Well, John, Yes, and No.  Yes, the business world accounts for the bulk of
sales.  I guess they are either too busy or too stupid to wait til the
prices drop (-:).

On the other hand, by whose definition do you conclude that "not too many
average people have a need for a computer.."?   It all depends on what you
mean by "need".  If my wife sees a nifty belt or outfit, she thinks she
needs it (no sexism here; I do the same thing with respect to lp's, books,
computer stuff).  We all use various criteria in defining what we "need."
If we are unaware of what a thing, device, etc., *can* do, we are less
likely to see a need to have said thing or device.

My point is that when a device is new, only a small portion of
the uses that device can be put to are realized by most
people.  Eventually, I feel that computers will be in most homes,
much as television sets and telephones are in most homes.  The
computer (often interacting with other devices, to be sure) really offers
a much wider variety of possibilities than even telephones and T.V.s.

In that regard, Atari's marketing policy (which I criticized in an earlier
posting) is intriguing.  I went shopping the other day and saw the Atari
XE (or is it 'XT') game system.  Guess what?  The darned thing is really
an 8-bit microcomputer complete with keyboard.  Sure, the game aspects are
emphasized, but the fact that peripherals can be connected, such as disk
drives, is illustrated on the side of the box.  I would like to have seen
a statement, even in small print, such as "And your Mom and Dad can do
word processing or other productivity tasks, as well!"  I understand that
this system runs all Atari 8-bit software.

Anyway, I foresee (crystal ball geared up) a time when most homes will have
a computer system featuring electronic mail, access to many databases,
educational services, etc., etc.  And the way these micros will get their
foot in the door (oh, God, isn't that an awful metaphor!) may be via
games.  It will probably be via a specific application, and thereafter
people will keep discovering other things the system can do.  They will
move from, for example, game players to general computer users by stages
and without having to overcome the 'computer phobia' hurdle associated
with BUYING A COMPUTER.

So much for today's crystal-balling.

Bill
I speak for myself, and not on behalf of any other person or organization