[comp.sys.atari.st] Don't use autorepeat in STEVIE

georgew@tekig4.TEK.COM (George Walker) (12/09/87)

I just tried out the posting of STEVIE, and naturally, the first thing I
wanted to try is to see how slow insert mode is, since the author mentions
the slowness in the document.  So I held down on a key as if I was entering
a line of *'s for a block comment.  Stevie got about halfway across the
line and bombed.  I had to reboot.  I tried this three times.  Twice it
killed the O/S, and once it subtly corrupted the system so that when I
tried to copy a file after exiting, the system told me there was "not enough
memory to run your application".

Anyway, enough said.  Don't use autorepeat in STEVIE.  The other things I
tried seemed to work OK.

By the way, there are two other pseudo-vi's around, VIX and LEVEE.  Each has
its own limitations.  Between the three programs, you can do anything you
can in vi :-)

George S. Walker {decvax,hplabs,...}!tektronix!tekig4!georgew	FLAMENET
Tektronix, Inc.	 georgew@tekig4.TEK.COM				DOMAIN
(503) 627-4669	 tekig4!georgew.tektronix@Udel-Relay		ARPANET

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (12/11/87)

In article <2233@tekig4.TEK.COM> georgew@tekig4.TEK.COM (George Walker) writes:
>the slowness in the document.  So I held down on a key as if I was entering
>a line of *'s for a block comment.  Stevie got about halfway across the
>line and bombed.  I had to reboot.  I tried this three times.  Twice it
>killed the O/S, and once it subtly corrupted the system....

BTW, has anyone checked to see if this system BUG has been fixed in
the new ROMS? I hate having to either 1) eat characters all the time
in my programs to avoid the problem, or 2) internally slow down the
auto repeat rate in my programs during certain operations that it
isn't nice to eat characters in (like insert text mode).

  -Todd Burkey
  trb@stag.UUCP

P.S. I released the Unix version of HDSCAN locally in mn.sources as a
Beta release, so as soon as I get some feedback, I will add whatever
features are necessary and release it in comp.sources.misc or
whatever. HDSCAN has changed quite a bit for Unix, so I will try to
fold some of the functionality back into the ST version. The only
negative comments I have gotten from the Unix users so far is that
one person was somewhat scared to use it, and several others would
prefer to just see their files in pure directory structure rather than
re-grouped across a tree by name, date, size, protections, etc...are
there any ST users of HDSCAN out there that want to get their two
cents worth in?