[comp.sys.atari.st] Amiga...

Consult@UMass.BITNET (12/10/87)

well....considering the name of this notesfile is INFO ATARI...the
Amiga has been getting a lot of attention...I wouldn't mind this except
it drives me crazy to have people tell me how my Atari 1040st is "limited"
these people have been saying here and there that the Amiga has more
expansion possiblities....whether this is true or not I do not know....
I know I am a musican...and the ST is fine for me...and that, while the
Amiga is a good expandable machine, I feel the software and the company
were soooo badly organized that their machine sucks....Kickstart drove
me crazy.....so you might ask why I wrote this letter...well I guess I
am just insecure and only want to hear how good my machine is...and
frankly...I think there are very few limitations put on the ST series
considering the price....and, frankly, I don't want to hear about the
Amiba.  Regarding MIDI appilications....I run Dr. T's stuff and it is
very good...better than any music program I have seen for the Amiga...
although that looks to be changing.....Master Tracks Pro is an excellent
program....but it does not, as far as I know, have scoring capablities
like Dr. T's software.....
I want to apologize to those Amiga owners out there who read this and
are terriblely insulted.....I just don't like the thought that I invested
in the wrong machine "for the future"....I get uptight about that stuff...
so flame me if you want....

damian roskill

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (12/10/87)

In article <871209164350B24.AMMA@Mars.UCC.UMass.EDU> Consult@UMass writes:
>I know I am a musican...and the ST is fine for me...and that, while the
>Amiga is a good expandable machine, I feel the software and the company
>were soooo badly organized that their machine sucks.... ...
>so flame me if you want....
well... hmmm. using words like "sucks" is usually a good reason to get flamed.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry. If you bought your machine for music
applications, it'll serve you well in the years to come. But you must
realize that a lot of the things you're hearing are true --- the Amiga's
price has fallen a great deal, and it is easily expandable (especially
when it comes to replacing the 68000 with 68020 and possible a 68881,
for instance). You gripe about the "KickStart," well, that's history
now --- The 500s and the 2000s boot from ROM, and Commodore will provide
ROM upgrades when the time comes to move up to a new version of the OS.
You complain about software, well, some real nice stuff is appearing for the
Amiga, and has been, since First Qtr 87 or so. Most of the new stuff totally
blows away some of the stuff that was around in 86, for instance.
Unfortunately, some people did their "Amiga-evaluations" during that time
and think the machine hasn't advanced since. Rumor has it that even
Dr T's stuff is being ported to the Amiga... 8-)

Anyway, another reason for the problem might be Atari itself. Especially
if what I hear is true: (1) they discourage mail order sales (2) THEN they
sell the 520ST without a monitor for $699 at Federated (of course, that's
the only computer Federated sells, so there's no competetion for the
Federated customer.) $699! The Amiga 500 dealer price is under $600!

If you want to flame Atari, do so, but without flaming or badmouthing the
Amiga. A lot of Amiga owners flame or badmouth the Amiga on comp.sys.amiga
(they have a right to do so 8-) but they don't flame the ST in the process.

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

exodus@uop.edu (EXODUS) (12/11/87)

Someone out there is damned closed minded....  Since Atari owns Federated,
the must only carry Atari.  That's pretty brave to say on the net without
checking your facts first.  The local Federated here carries Apple, Atari,
and yes, Amiga.  They have big posters offering the Amiga videotapes so you
can preview the machine (without it bombng, I suppose :-) <-- no, not a request
for a flame, just something I could not withhold).

So PLEASE!!!  Look at what you are saying before posting it.  Maybe Federated
is pushing Atari a little harder, but they still sell the rest of em.

[ Facts verifiable at the Federated on March Ln, Stockton CA ]

rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. Rupp) (12/12/87)

Here in San Diego, the Federated stores I go to have Amiga 500 as well
as Atari's.  Maybe C-64s, too, can't remember for sure.  I wonder if that will
continue in the future.

Bill
rupp@nosc.mil

john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Thomas M Johnson) (12/13/87)

In article <832@uop.edu> exodus@uop.edu (EXODUS) writes:

>Since Atari owns Federated,
>the must only carry Atari.  That's pretty brave to say on the net without
>checking your facts first.  The local Federated here carries Apple, Atari,
>and yes, Amiga.
I know I deleted a little too much but I kind of expected Federated to
continue to sell other brands of computers. Now Atari gets a cut of
each Amiga and Apple they sell!

If you can't beat 'em, make a profit off of 'em.

                             Tom Johnson
                      john1233@csd4.milw.wisc.edu