[comp.sys.atari.st] Magic Sac System/Finder, etc.

fireplace@cup.portal.com (12/14/87)

The only problem with using System 3.2/Finder 5.3 with the Magic Sac is a cute
"disk eject" problem.  Selecting eject from the pull-down does absolutely
nothing.  I know it works fine on a real Macintosh.  Is this a problem in
Finder or the Magic Sac?  Larry, any idea?  I currently use an odd combination
(System 3.2/Finder 5.4).  This way I get the suggested System and a better
Finder without the "disk eject" problem.

*** Changing thought pattern ***  I received my Translator One last Friday.
I can now format/read/write any Macintosh disk.  It really works and is worth
every dollar.  Now I will never have to "null modem" files to/from Macintosh
again.  If you are a serious Magic Sac user, you need a Translator One.  The
new revision (5.5) of the software now supports Hard Disk 20.  I have HFS
up and running with System 3.2/Finder 5.4 without any problems.  The Magic
Sac just gets better and better...

--Ron [ IMAGINE A STUNNING ASCII SIGN-OFF THAT LEAVES YOU BREATH-LESS ]

tainter@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Tainter) (12/17/87)

In article <1995@cup.portal.com>, fireplace@cup.portal.com writes:
> *** Changing thought pattern ***  I received my Translator One last Friday.
> I can now format/read/write any Macintosh disk.

Can the Translator One be used without the Sac?  I have a lot of graphics
I did with some Macs I had access to but don't anymore that I would like to
get into my ST environment and vice versa.  It isn't that I dont want to get
a Sac, I just want to put it off a while.

> --Ron [ IMAGINE A STUNNING ASCII SIGN-OFF THAT LEAVES YOU BREATH-LESS ]

--j.a.tainter

jchiu@ccvaxa.UUCP (12/17/87)

I know that this has been answered before, but it escaped my mind..

How do you format a 800k disk on a Mac as MFS (instead of HFS)?
Note that it must be on a Mac.

Thanks,

Jeff Chiu
jchiu@gswd_vms.arpa or ihnp4!uiucuxc!ccvaxa!jchiu

toml@xerox12.UUCP (Tom Love) (12/21/87)

the release of magic sac software which comes with the translator one
shipped this month is version 5.5.  it includes a number of gemdos
utilities, including MOVER.PRG, which moves files between gemdos format
floppies and either mac format or magic format, and vice-versa.  since
this is a gemdos application, you don't need a magic sac cartridge
to do the transfer (though of course you do need a translator one).
the documentation makes it clear that the usefulness of a mac file in
the gemdos environment may be pretty limited, but i suppose you already
knew that.

allow me to offer my assistance (warning, rampant capitalism follows).
if you are interested i would be happy to act as a service bureau for
you.  mail me your mac floppies and a corresponding number of blanks,
and i will perform the xfer for $1 per floppy, plus return postage
(cheap at twice the price).  seriously, if i can help you out, give
me a call.

tom love
xerox edds, leesburg va
wk: 703-729-8000 x5185
hm: 703-430-2853  rt 2, box 277 sterling va 22170

tom love
xerox Engineering Design and Documentation Systems
leesburg, va 22075    (703)729-8000

{cornell, kodak, ritcv, rutgers, cmcl2, llxn}!rochester!
                                                        rocksanne!xrxns!toml
                                    {rocksvax, sunybcs}!