[comp.sys.atari.st] Great Demo from Rex...

IHLS400@INDYCMS (Holly Lee Stowe) (12/07/87)

I have a request...

Over the weekend a friend gave me a program called LCD.PRG with a file
called ERIK.UDO that is a demo program from some company called Rex,
if I'm not mistaken.  Some people mentioned in the credits are Robb
Hubbard and Mad Max, whoever they may be.  The demo states that it
is DEMO number 3.  My friend and I want (HAVE) to know... WHERE ARE
NUMBERS ONE AND TWO???????  We MUST have them!!  Please!  He believes
that the program was gotten off a BBS in Canada somewhere, but he
doesn't know where.  This thing is FUN.  It does some slick color
shifts and plays music, but the real kicker is that the A drive
busy light flashes in time with the music!  (Honest to goodness!
It's a scream!)  When you hit RESET to stop it, there is some digitized
applause and a message appears "Thank you for listening, Ladies and
Gentlemen." before the system reboots.

If you know where I can find DEMOs ONE and TWO from these people,
PLEASE let me know.  I could easily be the most popular kid on my
ST block with them!

Holly

Bitnet:  IHLS400 @ INDYCMS
Arpa:    ihls400%indycms.bitnet@rutgers.edu
????:    stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
UUCP:    ...!rutgers!indycms.bitnet!ihls400
UUCP:    ...!rutgers!iuvax!cguild!whipple!farm!holly
BBS:     (317) 842-7564
GEnie:   HOLLYSTOWE

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) (12/10/87)

In article <8712082256.AA29083@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> IHLS400@INDYCMS (Holly Lee Stowe) writes:

>I have a request...

Me too.

>This thing is FUN.  It does some slick color
>shifts and plays music, but the real kicker is that the A drive
>busy light flashes in time with the music!  (Honest to goodness!
>It's a scream!)  When you hit RESET to stop it, there is some digitized
>applause and a message appears "Thank you for listening, Ladies and
>Gentlemen." before the system reboots.

This demo sounds great!  I need some more demos for the next computer fair
where I need to show that the Atari can handle decent graphics and sound,
even when compared to the Amiga's dedicated chips.  I imagine others like
demos to show off their Atari's as well, so could you please post the one
you speak of (and the others if you get them.)

                             Thanks a lot!
                                 Adam Engst

>Holly
>
>Bitnet:  IHLS400 @ INDYCMS
>Arpa:    ihls400%indycms.bitnet@rutgers.edu
>????:    stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
             ^^^^^^ = Internet style address

engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
pv9y@cornella.bitnet

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (12/12/87)

In article <8712082256.AA29083@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, IHLS400@INDYCMS (Holly Lee Stowe) writes:

> Over the weekend a friend gave me a program called LCD.PRG with a file
> called ERIK.UDO that is a demo program from some company called Rex,
> if I'm not mistaken.  Some people mentioned in the credits are Robb
> Hubbard and Mad Max, whoever they may be.  The demo states that it
> is DEMO number 3.  My friend and I want (HAVE) to know... WHERE ARE
> NUMBERS ONE AND TWO???????

I have seen all three demos.  One and two seem to be early versions, each
with one song.  After you've seen number three, you don't need these.

If you really really want them anyway (collecting the set??) I might be able
to track them down and post them to GEnie and Atari Base.  But I don't think
it's really worth the download time, compared to the one you have already.

If anyone out there in netland doesn't have this one yet -- fantastic music
played through the ST speaker (not digitized!) and beautiful color graphics.
On GEnie it's called WOWDEMO.ARC.
--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) (12/16/87)

In article <906@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
>I have seen all three demos.  One and two seem to be early versions, each
>with one song.  After you've seen number three, you don't need these.
>
>If anyone out there in netland doesn't have this one yet -- fantastic music
>played through the ST speaker (not digitized!) and beautiful color graphics.
>On GEnie it's called WOWDEMO.ARC.
>--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation

Well, I hadn't seen this one before, so I downloaded it from a local BBS.
(It was called ROBB.ARC).  When I ran the program, however, I got what
looked like about 8 screens flashing back and forth madly.  The music
worked just fine.  The ARC tested out just fine, and I even got it from a
spearate source, but the strange behaviour remains.  The effect reminded
me of a TV when you turn the horizontal hold knob way too far :-).

Anyone guess what's wrong??  This is a 1040 ST, and I had NO accessories,
ram disks, etc. active at the time.  Maybe the same bad copy was uploaded
to several boards....
--
Paul Close		paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, crash}!cacilj!paul

Shaw's Principle:
  Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.

csan@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Andie) (12/17/87)

In article <906@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:

>If anyone out there in netland doesn't have this one yet -- fantastic music
>played through the ST speaker (not digitized!) and beautiful color graphics.
>On GEnie it's called WOWDEMO.ARC.
>--

Could someone post it ? Over here in darkest Britain, it'd cost a fortune to
download it (and I don't have an account on GEnie anyway :-(

Andie Ness . Department of Computer Science ,Edinburgh University.

ARPA:  csan%ed.itspna@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk   UUCP:  ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!itspna!csan
                   	JANET: csan@uk.ac.ed.itspna

% These are my own views and any resemblance to any coherent reasoning is
% probably a typo.

koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) (12/17/87)

In article <490@cacilj.UUCP> paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:
>In article <906@atari.UUCP> neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
>>I have seen all three demos.  One and two seem to be early versions, each
>>with one song.  After you've seen number three, you don't need these.
>
>Well, I hadn't seen this one before, so I downloaded it from a local BBS.
>(It was called ROBB.ARC).  When I ran the program, however, I got what
>looked like about 8 screens flashing back and forth madly.  The music
>worked just fine.  The ARC tested out just fine, and I even got it from a
>spearate source, but the strange behaviour remains.  The effect reminded
>me of a TV when you turn the horizontal hold knob way too far :-).

Good analogy, because to fix the display all you have to do is twist your
vertical hold knob (clockwise, I think, but experiment with it).  The demo
puts graphics above the normal top of the screen, so the ST gets a bit
confused about how big the screen is.  It IS possible to adjust your monitor
so that you can get a good display both inside and outside the demo (but
you have to get the vertical hold just right...)

+New! Improved! Now 100% Artificial-+-+-----------------------------------+
|#   #  @@@  ****  &&&&& $$$$$ %   %| |Steven Grimm                       |
|#  #  @   @ *   * &       $   %   %+-+ ARPA: koreth@ucscb.ucsc.edu       |
|###   @   @ ****  &&&&    $   %%%%%| | UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth|
|#  #  @   @ * *   &       $   %   %+-+     ______________________________|
|#   #  @@@  *  ** &&&&&   $   %   %| |     |"Let's see what's out there."|
+-----with NutraSour(TM)!  No natural colors or preservatives!------------+

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (12/22/87)

In article <490@cacilj.UUCP>, paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:

> Well, I hadn't seen this one before, so I downloaded it from a local BBS.
> (It was called ROBB.ARC).  When I ran the program, however, I got what
> looked like about 8 screens flashing back and forth madly.  The music
> worked just fine.  The ARC tested out just fine, and I even got it from a
> spearate source, but the strange behaviour remains.  The effect reminded
> me of a TV when you turn the horizontal hold knob way too far :-).
>
> Anyone guess what's wrong??

Check out the adjustments inside your monitor (use great caution, there's
high voltage there).  The vertical hold is probably a hair off.  The demo
pushes the system harder than most applications, and even a touch off will
clobber you.
--

ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) (12/22/87)

In article <490@cacilj.UUCP> paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:
>Well, I hadn't seen this one before, so I downloaded it from a local BBS.
>(It was called ROBB.ARC).  When I ran the program, however, I got what
>looked like about 8 screens flashing back and forth madly.  The music
>worked just fine.  The ARC tested out just fine, and I even got it from a
>spearate source, but the strange behaviour remains.  The effect reminded
>me of a TV when you turn the horizontal hold knob way too far :-).
>Paul Close		paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, crash}!cacilj!paul

   The program did the same thing on my machine (except vertically).  Play
with the horizontal hold adjustment.  It'll stay stable even after you restart
GEM (the screen will, that is).

   You can probably attribute this to hardware dependencies.  The monitor
used to develop the program may have been one of the original type, which is
slightly (well, a whole lot, actually 8-( ) different from the later ones.
Naturally, programmers aren't supposed to make programs dependent on things
like the refresh rate or solar flare activity, but there's them as does . . .

--
Jared J. Brennan
BITNET: INS_BJJB@JHUVMS, INS_BJJB@JHUNIX

john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) (12/24/87)

In article <5825@jhunix.UUCP> ins_bjjb@jhunix.UUCP (Jared J Brennan) writes:
>   The program did the same thing on my machine (except vertically).  Play
>   You can probably attribute this to hardware dependencies.  The monitor

The game Goldrunner (European) has a 50/60 hz option. At the European frequency
the screen jumps like you describe so it may be continent dependency :-).

John
--
"...and intuition, in a case such as this, is of crucial importance."
			-- William Gibson, _Count_Zero_