[comp.sys.atari.st] RS232

maccarle@ed.ecn.purdue.EDU (Carl A Maccarley) (12/25/87)

From Michael Czeiszperger's posting:

>In article <2267@tekig4.TEK.COM> brianr@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Rhodefer) writes:
>>Michael S Czeisperger: "...Midi is less of a standard than RS232..."
>>Oh, Noooo!  It can't be THAT bad, can it?
>Oh, whoops!  I didn't really mean that!  I was trying to imply that
>RS-232 is more of a general protocol that you'd want on a computer,
>where MIDI is specialized so that it can only be used for music.  If

Just to add further confusion to this discussion...
I'm pretty sure that EIA RS-232c is just a hardware spec, eg., voltage
swing, line assignments, line loading, maximum line length, etc.
I don't believe there's anything in the spec about transmission protocols,
but I admit that the term RS-232 seems to have taken on a broader
colloquial meaning.

maccarle@ed.ecn.purdue.edu