[comp.sys.atari.st] drivers for new printers

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (12/03/87)

Apologies if the answer is well-known.
I own an Epson printer, so I am happy. However, I have been asked if
there are any problens putting these nice new 24-pin printers on an ST.
I would guess that for pure text output and normal word processors
there is no problem. However, what about
1. screen dumps
2. word processors including graphics (First Word Plus etc.)
3. desktop publishing systems

Many thanks for any help.
ps. Any suggestions as to the "best" 24-pin printer?

turner@daisy.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (12/16/87)

> Apologies if the answer is well-known.
> I own an Epson printer, so I am happy. However, I have been asked if
> there are any problens putting these nice new 24-pin printers on an ST.
> I would guess that for pure text output and normal word processors
> there is no problem. However, what about
> 1. screen dumps
when i fisrt got my P9 (24-pin Nec), I gave my tech manuals to someone
(name withheld to protect the innocent) and asked if he could write me
a driver, time passed and software didn't so eventually I took back my
docs. Perhaps if we (24-pin) owners all asked.....
as to screen dumps.... write your own and oh by the way when you're
done could I have a copy (;-) ?
> 2. word processors including graphics (First Word Plus etc.)
since the Nec is esc code upward compatable, the basic modes (italic,
bold, etc) all work. again do graphics
> 3. desktop publishing systems
most of them now support 24 pin printers, i use Word Perfect (under
PC-ditto) and it support the P7/9

> Many thanks for any help.
> ps. Any suggestions as to the "best" 24-pin printer?

my biggest complain with the P9 (and most NLQ printers) is that they are
not built for high volume output, the P9 has no sprocket feed and the paper
tends to drift to the right page by page. Other that that the quality
is excellant and the power (fonts, speed, etc) is excellant.

P.S. they do make a sprocket feed adapter for another $78.

--
Laissez les bons temps rouler                     -  Queen Ida
...{decwrl|ucbvax}!imagen!atari!daisy!turner (James M. Turner)

Randy_Captain-Magic_Holcomb@cup.portal.com (12/23/87)

I just got an NEC Pinwriter P2200 for $400, and I think it's a killer little
printer. I did have some fun trying to track down a utility that could do a
good screen dump (ALT-HELP) but I did find one on GEnie (Delphi?) that works
well when you tell the driver it's a P7. (and the P2200 allows you to kill the
tractor feed to, for single-sheet feeding. Nice touch.)

Randy Holcomb - Contributing Editor/Computer Shopper
Delphi: RANDYH / CIS: 70621,50 / GEnie: RANDYHOLCOMB
Disclaimer "The above are the author's own views and do not necessarily
represent the views of Computer Shopper or Patch Communications, Inc."

mzyla@dasys1.UUCP (Martin Zyla) (12/25/87)

In article <2125@cup.portal.com> Randy_Captain-Magic_Holcomb@cup.portal.com writes:
>I just got an NEC Pinwriter P2200 for $400, and I think it's a killer little
>printer. I did have some fun trying to track down a utility that could do a
>good screen dump (ALT-HELP) but I did find one on GEnie (Delphi?) that works
>well when you tell the driver it's a P7. (and the P2200 allows you to kill the
>tractor feed to, for single-sheet feeding. Nice touch.)
>
>Randy Holcomb - Contributing Editor/Computer Shopper

I'm glad to see that someone else has discovered this gem of a machine. Around
this neck of the woods (New York) it seems to be selling well and users marvel
at the power, quality and accessories of a printer that sells for a relatively
meager $350 to $400. I've used several drivers and wound up with a variety of
screen dump sizes but all high quality. Speaking of high quality, if you're
into Desktop Publishing this machine will make you think twice about spending
all that money on a laser printer.

Martin Zyla        I \/ I     /
Big Electric Cat   I    I    /   {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri!dasys1!mzyla
New York, NY, USA  I    I   /         {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!mzyla
                   I    I  /         GEnie:mzyla DELPHI:gmz CIS:74216,1372