[comp.sys.atari.st] Failing Disk Drive & Strange TPA pointer

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (12/22/87)

Boo hoo the disk drive on my 1040ST is not working. I know it is the drive
because I have swapped it in other machines and the problem moved with the
drive. The symptoms are strange in that it reads every track on a disk fine
but has trouble writing. I say trouble because sometime it formats a track
ok sometimes not, but never a whole disk. I had a look at a track it had tried
to format and found corruption (gap bytes inconsistant & data damaged ie $E5
corrupted.) If I can't fix this drive I will have to buy a replacement and
that will kill my slim chance of being able to afford a hard drive.
I phoned a company that upgrades the internal SS drive in a 520STFM to DS and
asked if the same drive could be fitted inside a 1040. They said no, which I
think is pretty strange since I thought (as most do) that the 520STFM was
just a 1040 with a lesser drive and some RAM missing. Has anyone else put a
different drive in their 1040 or repaired the original one?
If so please advise me.
(Note: Our machines will be down(ish) from 24th Dec to Jan 5th)

Another interesting point:
I wrote a little C program print out a programs base page address and the
operating systems start of TPA pointer (at $432). When run it printed out a
high base page address eg. $23??? and $A100 for the start of the TPA which is
to be expected. But when I put the program by itself in the AUTO folder on a
floppy and booted up the machine with a power down/up it came up with $A204 and
$A100 respectively. Can anyone tell me why the OS takes this memory away?
I know I have a megabyte to play around with but I like to ponder/solve such
mysteries.

Thanks in advance and a Merry Christmas to all who know me or would like to.

Neil Forsyth (the man with the ROFDD (Read Only Floppy Disk Drive) Help!)

"I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being
told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and
tired. I'm certainly not and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!"
- Monty Python

 Neil Forsyth                           JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs
 Dept. of Computer Science              ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk
 Heriot-Watt University                 UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil
 Edinburgh
 Scotland

rich@lakesys.UUCP (Rich Dankert) (12/26/87)

In article <1606@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk> neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) writes:

>Boo hoo the disk drive on my 1040ST is not working. I know it is the drive
>because I have swapped it in other machines and the problem moved with the
>drive. The symptoms are strange in that it reads every track on a disk fine
>but has trouble writing. I say trouble because sometime it formats a track
>ok sometimes not, but never a whole disk. I had a look at a track it had tried
>to format and found corruption (gap bytes inconsistant & data damaged ie $E5
>corrupted.) If I can't fix this drive I will have to buy a replacement and
>that will kill my slim chance of being able to afford a hard drive.
>I phoned a company that upgrades the internal SS drive in a 520STFM to DS and
>asked if the same drive could be fitted inside a 1040. They said no, which I
>think is pretty strange since I thought (as most do) that the 520STFM was
>just a 1040 with a lesser drive and some RAM missing. Has anyone else put a
>different drive in their 1040 or repaired the original one?
>If so please advise me.
>(Note: Our machines will be down(ish) from 24th Dec to Jan 5th)

	I have replaced the 1040 drives with the newer mech's that are
currently shipped as external drives. Have had no problem with doing this
at all.

	If I were you, I would clean the head with Freon TF, and get all the
dust that usually seems to collect inside the drive. This is the main problem
that I have seen in the internal drives, other than the eairly drives having
the write protect to go out, in which case I replaced it with a small micro
toggle switch.

	I have seen drives that were running slow, and still read the data
onthe disk fine, but didn't write for ^%$#*( . Also have seen some drives
that didn't write well either and the cause was due to a mechanical problem
with a lever mounted for upper head pressure. Problem was due to this lever
being a little loose and thus making alot of noise (like ball bearings inside)
and just getting this a little tighter lessened the vibrations allowing the
drive to again work well.

	One other thing that I noticed was that some drives, lost the
ability to turn the disk at proper speed *if the drive was sitting in the
correct position. When I went and turned the drive over (upside down) to
further look at the problem, the problem was gone! Turn the drive back over
and the problem returned, turn it upside down, and the drive worked fine
again. Weird problem. Unfortunatly, the direct drive motor for turning the
media is not available from Atari, so a new drive was installed. One of the
newer external ones. Problem solved....

> Neil Forsyth                           JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs
> Dept. of Computer Science              ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk
> Heriot-Watt University                 UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil
> Edinburgh
> Scotland

UUCP: {Ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!rich
Discalimer: The words,ideas,and expressions are my own, and not nessasarily
always correct, but I wouldn't say that I have done it if I didn't.