[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard disk boot???

870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) (12/06/87)

Summary:Auto booting 204?

Keywords:Hard disk, GEMBOOT

I have a few questions for anyone using a SH204 with a Mega ST. I have a Meag2
with a SH204, I have being auto booting from the hard disk using HDB_V2.3, I
used to be able to auto boot from the floppy when the CTRL,SHIFT, and ALT.
keys were held down, well since I started using the Mega, the machine always
boots from the hard disk with the keys down or up?????????????? I am also
using GEMBOOT to overcome the 40 folder limit in TOS(has it been fixed with
the new ROMS). So I thought no big deal I will just kill the boot sector on
drive C when I want to boot a disk from drive a(copy protection is a real
pain in the ass for the owners of hard disks), when I kill the boot sector
the machine will not auto boot from drive "A"?????????? So then I thought
well I will try and run the hard disk driver prg. to get back into the
"C" drive, no good, when I run the driver prg. it tells me that I am using
a set of ROMS not from ATARI, has there been a new driver written for the
SH204 and MEGA? Well to finish it off I ran the boot sector prg. from drive "A"
and reinstalled the boot sector on drive "C", well she boots up fine again
from the hard disk, but no auto boot from drive "A". HELP!!!!
later
Barry

federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) (12/09/87)

[The line eater was sleeping again ...]

In article <624@aucs.UUCP> 870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) writes:
>I have a few questions for anyone using a SH204 with a Mega ST. I have a Meag2
>with a SH204, I have being auto booting from the hard disk using HDB_V2.3, I
>used to be able to auto boot from the floppy when the CTRL,SHIFT, and ALT.
>keys were held down, well since I started using the Mega, the machine always
>boots from the hard disk with the keys down or up??????????????

I didn't know of the CTRL-SHIFT-ALT trick, but I had a problem similar
to yours: there was no way my Mega would boot from floppy, and that
turned out to be quite a problem when a desk accessory I had downloded
from somewhere was turned unusable because of line noise.  My "solution"
was not to boot from hard disk at all, which I now find better since it
allows me to choose different configurations (desk accesories and such)
depending on the job I'm going to do.

>I am also using GEMBOOT to overcome the 40 folder limit in TOS(has it been
>fixed with the new ROMS?).

I'm also interested on this question, and it has been already asked a couple
of times with no visible answer.  I've never used the old ROMs, so I don't
know what the infamous "40 folder limit" means. I've had more than 40 folders
on my hard disk and nothing happened.  Does this mean that the problem is
fixed? Or is it 40 folders DEEP?

					///////
				      //____ //
		Federico             //     //
				    // __  //
				   // / / //
				   ///////

UUCP: ...!mcvax!unido!tub!actisb
BIX:  fheinz

ftw@datacube.UUCP (12/15/87)

federico@actisb.UUCP writes:
> [The line eater was sleeping again ...]

> In article <624@aucs.UUCP> 870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) writes:
> >I have a few questions for anyone using a SH204 with a Mega ST. I have a Meag2
> >with a SH204, I have being auto booting from the hard disk using HDB_V2.3, I
> >used to be able to auto boot from the floppy when the CTRL,SHIFT, and ALT.
> >keys were held down, well since I started using the Mega, the machine always
> >boots from the hard disk with the keys down or up??????????????

> I didn't know of the CTRL-SHIFT-ALT trick, but I had a problem similar
> to yours: there was no way my Mega would boot from floppy, and that
> turned out to be quite a problem when a desk accessory I had downloded
> from somewhere was turned unusable because of line noise.  My "solution"
> was not to boot from hard disk at all, which I now find better since it
> allows me to choose different configurations (desk accesories and such)
> depending on the job I'm going to do.

I have the new ("blitter") ROMs in my 1040, and have noticed the same behavior
when booting (I have a Supra disk, with their hard disk boot program
installed).  Anyone have a guess as to why?  (hello, apratt?)

> >I am also using GEMBOOT to overcome the 40 folder limit in TOS(has it been
> >fixed with the new ROMS?).

> I'm also interested on this question, and it has been already asked a couple
> of times with no visible answer.  I've never used the old ROMs, so I don't
> know what the infamous "40 folder limit" means. I've had more than 40 folders
> on my hard disk and nothing happened.  Does this mean that the problem is
> fixed? Or is it 40 folders DEEP?

Au contraire, the question has been answered here before in a definitive
manner.  That answer is: NO  The blitter ROMs do not fix the 40 folder bug.

The 40 folder bug refers to a problem where a filesystem on a hard disk or
diskette can become corrupted if more than 40 folders are accessed during
any one "session" with an ST ("session": period of use between re-boots).
A well-known workaround is the recently re-posted FOLDRXXX.PRG.  Change XXX
in the program name to the number of folders you think you're likeky to
access during any one use of the machine, and stick the program in your
\AUTO folder, and re-boot.

I have heard from other netters that this bug is due to memory not being
freed-up when you jumo into and out of folders (directories).  Correct
me if I'm wrong on that...

> 					///////
> 				      //____ //
> 		Federico             //     //
> 				    // __  //
> 				   // / / //
> 				   ///////

> UUCP: ...!mcvax!unido!tub!actisb
> BIX:  fheinz

				Farrell T. Woods

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
INTERNET: ftw@datacube.COM
UUCP: {rutgers, ihnp4, mirror}!datacube!ftw

tainter@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Tainter) (12/17/87)

In article <122@actisb.UUCP>, federico@actisb.UUCP (Federico Heinz) writes:
>                                   I've never used the old ROMs, so I don't
> know what the infamous "40 folder limit" means. I've had more than 40 folders
> on my hard disk and nothing happened.  Does this mean that the problem is
> fixed? Or is it 40 folders DEEP?
The "40 folder limit" bug hits when you try to access more than 40 folders
within one interval between reboots.  I assume you aren't using some form
of incremental backup program for your HD if you haven't seen it yet.
It IS in ALL versions of the ROMs.  Its cause is a logical flaw in the entire
memory management scheme for the ATARI ST.
Its symptoms are trashed directories on you harddisk (and I believe random
lockups or reboots).
> 		Federico             //     //
--j.a.tainter

uace0@uhnix2.UUCP (Michael B. Vederman) (12/25/87)

The problem you have with holding down the alt-ctrl-shift may have to do with
WHEN you hold down the keys.  If you bootup with! the keys down, then it will
not work with the new ROMs.
Try turning on the machine (or resetting) wait a second, then hold down the
keys.  This should work.
Don't use GEMBOOT with th[e new ROMs, use foldrxxx.prg instead.

Also, I had the same[ problem with the message about a non-supported ROM
version.  Ignore the message, the driver is actually installed, and works
just fine.

- Mike
--
#-----------------------------------------------------# University (of Houston)
# It is morally wrong to let a sucker keep his money. # Atari Computer

ftw@datacube.UUCP (12/28/87)

uace0@uhnix2.UUCP writes:
> The problem you have with holding down the alt-ctrl-shift may have to do with
> WHEN you hold down the keys.  If you bootup with! the keys down, then it will
> not work with the new ROMs.
> Try turning on the machine (or resetting) wait a second, then hold down the
> keys.  This should work.
> Don't use GEMBOOT with th[e new ROMs, use foldrxxx.prg instead.

So, let me see...  If there is a disk in the drive at power-on, the Supra
boots *immediately*.  If I have the three keys down (diskette in drive),
Supra still boots immedately.  Seems like I have to: turn machine on.  Wait
about one second.  Push the three keys.  (Maybe wait for ST to go after the
floppy drive again) Push diskette into drive while holding the keys down.
What a pain!  I don't think it'll work, either.

I'm going to call Supra today and ask them if they have a boot program
that is a little less zealous ;-)

> Also, I had the same[ problem with the message about a non-supported ROM
> version.  Ignore the message, the driver is actually installed, and works
> just fine.

> - Mike
> --
> #-----------------------------------------------------# University (of Houston)
> # It is morally wrong to let a sucker keep his money. # Atari Computer
> #-----------------------------------------------------# Enthusiasts (UACE)
> Use Atarinet: for help, interactively send a message to UH-INFO@UHUPVM1

				Farrell T. Woods

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
INTERNET: ftw@datacube.COM
UUCP: {rutgers, ihnp4, mirror}!datacube!ftw

"OS/2 -- Half an operating system"

ftw@datacube.UUCP (12/29/87)

This morning, I wrote:

> uace0@uhnix2.UUCP writes:
>> The problem you have with holding down the alt-ctrl-shift may have to do with
>> WHEN you hold down the keys.  If you bootup with! the keys down, then it will
>> not work with the new ROMs.
>> Try turning on the machine (or resetting) wait a second, then hold down the
>> keys.  This should work.
>> Don't use GEMBOOT with th[e new ROMs, use foldrxxx.prg instead.

> So, let me see...  If there is a disk in the drive at power-on, the Supra
> boots *immediately*.  If I have the three keys down (diskette in drive),
> Supra still boots immedately.  Seems like I have to: turn machine on.  Wait
> about one second.  Push the three keys.  (Maybe wait for ST to go after the
> floppy drive again) Push diskette into drive while holding the keys down.
> What a pain!  I don't think it'll work, either.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> I'm going to call Supra today and ask them if they have a boot program
> that is a little less zealous ;-)

I just got off the phone with a tech-support guy at Supra.  He tells me that
the scenario described above is exactly what I have to do; they cannot
program around it.

They say that the problem is in the "blitter" ROMs.  The keycode that is
made by ctrl-shift-alt isn't available to the Supra boot program as soon as
that program would really like it to be.  The boot program cannot detect
the key combo until much later in the boot, at which time the program is
just about to boot from the fixed disk anyway.