[comp.sys.atari.st] 40-folder bug and FOLDRXXX.PRG

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (12/22/87)

in article <560@pyuxe.UUCP>, crc6@pyuxe.UUCP (C. Colbert) says:

> In one of the atari periodicals it was announced that they fixed the 40
> folder bug in the Mega St roms.

Here we go again...

THE 40-FOLDER BUG IS NOT FIXED.  THE 40-FOLDER BUG IS NOT FIXED.

Use FOLDRXXX.PRG (rename it to FOLDR100.PRG and put it in your AUTO folder)
to work around this bug.  You will not be notified when you run out of
folders, but it's a lot harder to use 140 than to use 40, and if you
do get close to that, just rename it to FOLDR200.PRG.

I WILL TELL YOU WHEN THE 40-FOLDER BUG IS FIXED.  DO NOT BELIEVE ANY
OTHER REPORTS UNTIL YOU HEAR IT FROM ME.  I AM THE ONLY PERSON WORKING
ON THIS.

I *am* working on it, so don't despair.  When the fix comes out, it will
be more sweeping than you think (unless you think big).

romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) (12/24/87)

In article <910@atari.UUCP>, apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
> in article <560@pyuxe.UUCP>, crc6@pyuxe.UUCP (C. Colbert) says:
> > In one of the atari periodicals it was announced that they fixed the 40
> > folder bug in the Mega St roms.
> I WILL TELL YOU WHEN THE 40-FOLDER BUG IS FIXED.  DO NOT BELIEVE ANY
> OTHER REPORTS UNTIL YOU HEAR IT FROM ME.  I AM THE ONLY PERSON WORKING
> ON THIS.

Uh... guys? Did you hear him say what I just heard him say?
Did Alan just say that there's ONLY ONE PERSON WORKING ON THE WORST PROBLEM
THEIR MACHINE HAS?
Just how small an operation is Atari, anyway?
(Actually, my guess is EVERYONE else is working on the 40-folder bug on the
Transputer box...)

When the fix is made, maybe I'll buy an Atari.  I still have a certain
amount of faith in Atari's ability to deliver a decent value, despite all
the griping I've seen on this group since the ST came out.

> I *am* working on it, so don't despair.  When the fix comes out, it will
> be more sweeping than you think (unless you think big).

Hmm.  Does this suggest upcoming compatibility problems?
Or perhaps the advent of a new operating system altogether?
Could it be... MULTITASKING? Okay guys, warm up the rumor mills...

-Antonio Romero
 romero@psycho.Princeton.EDU

PS-- Hi Charlie!

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (12/29/87)

In article <1505@mind.UUCP>, romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) writes:

> Hmm.  Does this suggest upcoming compatibility problems?
> Or perhaps the advent of a new operating system altogether?
> Could it be... MULTITASKING? Okay guys, warm up the rumor mills...
>
> -Antonio Romero
>  romero@psycho.Princeton.EDU

*** FLAME ON ***

What good does it do to start rumors like this?

Do us all a favor, if you need something to talk about, discuss the weather.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be nice to add features to the machine.
But, we're not adding this one at the moment.  And there are so many rumors
getting people jazzed up for nothing...

The rumor mill in our community has gone a bit haywire lately.  There's
enough going on without people making things up.

Most ridiculous rumors of 1987 awards:

1. The blitters didn't work, so we're using kludged-up Amiga blitters.

2. The blitters partially work, so we removed 4 of 8 functions from them.

Please, folks, give us a break.  We're easy enough to talk to if you want to
ASK a question.  Sometimes it seems that rumors are so much fun that their
veracity has no bearing on how they spread.  Sometimes they spread AFTER the
facts are clarified -- fiction being more fun, I presume.

*** FLAME OFF ***

Sorry folks, but it's been a rough year.

Best to all for 1988!  Hope you're having a good holiday season.

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

mem@zinn.UUCP (Mark E. Mallett) (01/04/88)

In article <920@atari.UUCP>, neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
> What good does it do to start rumors like this?
>
> Do us all a favor, if you need something to talk about, discuss the weather.
>
> Most ridiculous rumors of 1987 awards:
>
> 1. The blitters didn't work, so we're using kludged-up Amiga blitters.
>
> 2. The blitters partially work, so we removed 4 of 8 functions from them.

Here are some more:

1. Atari makes a laser printer.
2. .. an IBM PC clone
3. .. something called a MEGA 2 and a MEGA 4.
4. .. a blitter chip.
5. .. a set of new ROMS called "blitter ROMS" for the ST.

Will the wise guy that started those rumors please cut it out!?

Oh, OK, we're trading those rumors in for rumours about the Abaq.  Does
Abaq mean "wolf"?

> Please, folks, give us a break.  We're easy enough to talk to if you want to
> ASK a question.

Oh no, there they go again.  More rumors.

--
Mark E. Mallett		Home phone: 603-424-8129
uucp: mem@zinn.UUCP  (...decvax!elrond!zinn!mem   or   ...sii!zinn!mem)