[comp.sys.atari.st] Observations

jpdres13@usl-pc.UUCP (John Joubert) (12/18/87)

Just some observations that I was looking for comment on:

Concerning ST-Log:

     I can only assume that ST-Log and Analog have bitten the big one.

     The answering service no longer handles them, they office doesn't answer,
or it is forever busy.  This has been going on for over 3 three weeks
now.  I called the East Coast Sales Rep Company, and the recording said that
if you are calling concerning Analog/ST-Log call the company itself. After that
I called the West Coast office and the girl told me that there will be an
official response to subscribers in 2 weeks or so.  I asked if that meant a
magazine, and she said that she did not know.  Well since I have not had an
issue since Sept., I guess I lose.  They did have enough personnel on hand to
cash my $28 check after a month though!  When I called my bank to cancel, I
was told that the check cleared the day before.  If anyone knows anything more
concerning Analog/ST-Log please let me know.

Also, now I need to know where to subscribe to a good ST Mag, could someone
please recommend something that has some technical heft to it?  I don't want
a mag that just reviews last year's software.  Reviews are very nice, but
not enough to totally comprise a magazine.  What about Atari Explorer, is
this good?  Some source code in it?  Neil, anyone?  Please include addresses
or phone numbers to mags also.  I would really appreciate info here.
------------------

Concerning Megamax C & Laser C ---> it's an upgraded Version !

	Having just become the proud owner of Megamax C for Xmas, I recieved
a flyer in the delivery box announcing "Laser C" from Megamax. It boasts
"The Fastest C Language Available for Your ST!  Compile and Link the Sieve
Benchmark in only 5 seconds!"

Below was taken direct from flyer:

>Features:
>	* RAM resident graphics shell
>	* Absolute code production compiler ( no more 32k limits )
>	* Variable size Ram Cache
>	* Full Featured Make
>	* DRI compatible Linker
>	* Powerful debugging facilities
>	* Inline assembly
>	* Full Tech support
>	* Full documentation including examples using Gem routines
> 	* Fast & accurate Floating Point
>
>Benchmarks:
>			Laser C		Mark Williams 2.0
>Compile & Link
> Sieve			:05		1:27
> Hello			:03		1:15
> Apskel		:08		1:40
>Execution
> Sieve			2:45		2:78
>
>MWC using RAM disk based system

	After reading the flyer I gave the Megamax office a call, and inquired
as to upgrade policy.  She told me since mine was just bought it would be free!
She also told me that those who purchased in '87 can get it for just $10, and
buyers before '87 cost is just $20!  Well, that sells me on Megamax, I may be
wrong, but I seem to remember that the MWC upgrade price was $80.  That is
a lot of moolah for a program that can  be purchased for just $114 mail order.

Oh, and by the way, I paid only $139 for Megamax.  Write me for details if you
would like the mail order house.

Anyway, I just wanted everyone to know the new product announcement, as I
believe that current Megamax owners will be pleased to hear about the upgrade
policy.  I know this sounded like a plug, but I just got a little
overjoyed.   8-)

---------------------------

Concerning Assempro:

	I called them the other day, and I was told that they do have an
upgraded version ( nothing spectacular, just bug fixes ) that has been
available for about 6 months or so.  Free upgrade! No cost at all!

---------------------------

Concerning Atari SX212 modem:

	A friend of mine brought me down to my local Atari dealer and purchased
a 1040ST.  As a last minute thought ( we assumed mail order to be cheapest )
he asked how much the modems were.  The salesman showed us the Atari SX212
for $89. Wow!  This is a great modem, packed with goodies too! It is a bell
212a compatible (So near to Hayes compatibility, I could not tell the
difference and neither could ANY of the term programs we tried ) and a much
better buy than the infamous Avatex 1200 (not 1200hp) that I received for
$89.  Even has an 800-series-computer port on it as well as the standard
RS-232 type port.  Highly recommended, this is what "Power Without the Price"
is all about.

John Joubert                         |     /\  |    /\    |     _
jpdres13@usl-pc.USL                  |     \|<>|>|> \|<>|>|><`|`|
or ...                               |-----/|-------/|-----------------------
ut-sally!usl-pc!jpdres13             |     \/       \/

exodus@uop.edu (G. Onufer) (12/20/87)

With compile / link times like that, I assume the editor does tokenizing
like MAC/65 did on the 8-bits??  If that is so, the editor had better be
pretty good (GEM is still a little slow for me -- I do not have a blitter!)
and customizable (I use EMACS on our Suns and MicroEmacs on the STs...
I probably will not use anything else).  The flyer (or at least the excerpt
says nothing about its libraries...  I use MWC 2.0 because of its libraries...
Version 7 compatible.  Makes it fairly easy to port real applications to the
ST line.

Of course, if Laser C _does_ fit my requirements, somebody please mail me!
I'd be the first on my block to have it!!!!

Greg Onufer

--

Greg Onufer   		GEnie: G.ONUFER		University of the Pacific
UUCP:						**POSTMASTER @ UOP**

toml@xerox12.UUCP (Tom Love) (12/21/87)

i too have been hearing rumors about analog and st log ever since
the summer.  in late october the washington area atari fest was held
nearby, and i attended.  i was surprised to see a booth set up by
st log, manned by one guy.  i asked him the obvious question about the
rumors of his (st log's) death being premature or not.  he vehemently
denied any business problems, instead citing the changing of printing
companies mid-summer for their production problems (funny, i would have
thought you would change printers to *fix* production problems...)

if in fact analog/stlog has been going down the tubes since summer,
i feel quite strongly that the placement of a salesperson soliciting
subscriptions at a show (in late oct., mind you), with no realistic
likelihood of ever delivering on them, is probably no less
criminal in nature than a mail-order florida real-estate scam.
shame on them!

i get a little p/o'd when someone lies to me so directly.
i too got taken for the $28.  oh well, if i'm lucky they'll probably
compensate me with a subscription to an apple // magazine, or
cosmo or some crap.

inqiring minds want to know....

tom love
xerox Engineering Design and Documentation Systems
leesburg, va 22075    (703)729-8000

{cornell, kodak, ritcv, rutgers, cmcl2, llxn}!rochester!
                                                        rocksanne!xrxns!toml
                                    {rocksvax, sunybcs}!

bruce@ektools.UUCP (Bruce D. Nelson ) (12/22/87)

In article <515@usl-pc.UUCP> jpdres13@usl-pc.UUCP (John Joubert) writes:
>     I can only assume that ST-Log and Analog have bitten the big one.

You are probably right, but on the Atari SIG of Delphi, Charlie Bachand
insists that they are only (very) late, and that subscribers will get all
the issues they're entitled to. Time will tell.

Bruce D. Nelson            | UUCP: ...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!ektools!bruce
Eastman Kodak Company      | Voice: 716-726-7890
901 Elmgrove Road          | Company Mail: Dept 420 Technical Support Services
Rochester, NY 14650        |

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (12/22/87)

In article <515@usl-pc.UUCP> jpdres13@usl-pc.UUCP (John Joubert) writes:

>Concerning ST-Log:
>
>     I can only assume that ST-Log and Analog have bitten the big one.
>Also, now I need to know where to subscribe to a good ST Mag, could someone
>please recommend something that has some technical heft to it?  I don't want
>a mag that just reviews last year's software.  Reviews are very nice, but
>not enough to totally comprise a magazine.  What about Atari Explorer, is
>this good?  ...

I kinda liked the  "ST World"  that my dealer used to carry, but he
stopped carrying it a couple of months before he folded.  :-(
Did the newspaper fold too?  Or did the go out of business becuase my
dealer no longer carried them?  Or was it the other way around?    ;-)

I wanted to receive the newsletter still, but not knowing if they still
existed, I wrote to them in Oregon.  I have had no reply. I fear that
they are dead.

They were good, I thought, at getting news out early. I found
articles about about "IDRIS" (they spelled it IRDIS) and about the 2.5
Meg memory upgrade called "DoubleThink Plus" long before folks on this
net chewed over these subjects.

This little rag was published in an unheard of place called Roseburg,
Oregon.  How they got their news, I do not know.

Does anybody know if they still exist?

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@watmath.UUCP		UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!ljdickey

dclemans@mntgfx.mentor.com (Dave Clemans) (12/29/87)

> I kinda liked the  "ST World"  that my dealer used to carry, but he
> stopped carrying it a couple of months before he folded.  :-(
> Did the newspaper fold too?  Or did the go out of business becuase my
> dealer no longer carried them?  Or was it the other way around?    ;-)

ST World is apparently going fine; in fact they've now split into
two separate newsletters:
    ST World    mainly reviews and show reports
    ST Informer more general articles, rumors, etc.

They're carried by stores in the Oregon area (B. Dalton's Software Etc.
even carries ST World).

However note that they are not published on a regular schedule; as far
as I can tell they wait until they have enough ads and articles to fill
an issue and then go to the printers/distributors.

dgc

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (01/05/88)

In article <1987Dec28.134829.25209@mntgfx.mentor.com>, dclemans@mntgfx.mentor.com (Dave Clemans) writes:

> ST World is apparently going fine; in fact they've now split into
> two separate newsletters:
>     ST World    mainly reviews and show reports
>     ST Informer more general articles, rumors, etc.

Not quite right.  ST World and ST Informer are published by different
companies.  They seem to be rivals.

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil