[comp.sys.atari.st] INFORMATION

Flash@UMass.BITNET.UUCP (01/29/87)

Hi,

   There is ONLY one Mac emulator out, it is the one by David Small.
The so called "Magic Bongo" is nothing but someone who copied
david's CUSTOM software to disk and the contents of apple's COPYRIGHTED
roms to disk too and patched them to it works. This is *VERY* illegal.
The reason David Small uses a cartridge to plug ROMs in is so Apple
wont sue his pants off for encouraging apple rom copies by disk.

   I heard a rumor that Supra Corporation has a patch for the folder
limit problem, sure it WONT work with the next rom upgrade, but that
doesn't seem to be in the near future.

   You people have to understand Atari's dilema. Allan Pratt DOES
want to supply you with solves for this, but Atari Corp. is not
run by Pratt or Niell, they instead end up having to represent the
views of the company while not necessary agreeing with them, same
goes for dealers. Now, if we only knew good ole Jack's address.

Rick Flashman                         Flash@UMASS.BITNET
1040 N. Pleasant St. #381             Flash%UMASS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Amherst, MA  01002                    R-FLASHMAN on GENIE
(413) 549-0173

"Only after the traveler has stopped to reflect has his real journey
 begun." - from T. Serstevens

rjd@nancy.UUCP (02/04/87)

In article <870128221041.000016FD.AGDZ.MA@UMass> Flash@UMass.BITNET (Rick Flashman) writes:
>Hi,
>
>   There is ONLY one Mac emulator out, it is the one by David Small.
>The so called "Magic Bongo" is nothing but someone who copied
>david's CUSTOM software to disk and the contents of apple's COPYRIGHTED
>roms to disk too and patched them to it works. This is *VERY* illegal.
>The reason David Small uses a cartridge to plug ROMs in is so Apple
>wont sue his pants off for encouraging apple rom copies by disk.

OK. This is getting silly and I don't understand why everyone is getting
close to a state of paranoia...including Apple Inc.

Since Apple is so freaked out concerning abuse of their ROMs (which,
incidently, is their right) why doesn't someone (i.e. David Small)
get a MacIntosh and reverse engineer their ROMs, and make new ones?

And before someone tells me: oh, no...that can't be done...think about
where all of the PC Clones (including Atari PC) get their information
from? You think IBM provides it?

And before you say; oh, no...MacIntoshes are different! I suggest you
pick up a copy of this monthes MacWorld...the new product out on the
market is the world's first MacIntosh clone: the Dynamic. It is a laptop
portable that apparently uses a built in joystick instead of a mouse.
Now, where do you think those people got their Mac ROMs? Think they
walked up to Apple and asked real nice?

If the Magic Sack is such a hit, and their really is a market, then it
is worth someone's time to sit down, rewrite the ROMs (from scratch),
and include it in the cartridge instead of sending people all over
creation looking for Apple's ROM's just to keep Apple happy....

                     - Rob DeMillo
		       Brown University - Planetary Science Group

	UUCP: 		...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!rjd
	CompuServe: 	73537,2737

------
	"...I am not so sure what you want me for!
         Either your machine is a fool, or me..."   -- "WarGames", CSN

holloway@drivax.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <12056@brunix.UUCP> rjd@nancy.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:
>If the Magic Sack is such a hit, and their really is a market, then it
>is worth someone's time to sit down, rewrite the ROMs (from scratch),
>and include it in the cartridge instead of sending people all over
>creation looking for Apple's ROM's just to keep Apple happy....

I think you could expect a call from Apple's lawyers _real_soon_ about
their "look and feel" patents, i.e., the way the entire windowing system
works. I think they're full of s**t, but I'm (admittedly) biased.

You have to remember that the Macintosh is not (yet) an "open" system,
which means that for the most part, you have only Apple providing regular
hardware updates.

But with the new "Open" Mac, maybe we'll see some room for improvement.
Although it must go so much against Apple's grain to provide specs for their
machine, that they'll probably fight any clone...

A couple of years back, one of the managers at Apple said, to an InfoWorld
reporter, that Apple saw the rush of MacPaint clones on other machines,
pull-down menus, meeses, the whole bit, as a vindication of the Macintosh
concept.

You might conclude that Apple wanted to set an industry standard with their
Macintosh, right? Not so, since they soon started threatening those same
MacPaint clones (most for the IBM-PC) with lawsuits unless they changed
their style.

Apple wants to be the industry standard, and it doesn't want competition,
and it will use whatever money it takes to squash anyone who comes out
with anything similar to what they've done.
--
....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
Put the power of RANDOM NUMBERS to work FOR YOU!

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <12056@brunix.UUCP> rjd@nancy.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:
>the new product out on the
>market is the world's first MacIntosh clone: the Dynamic. It is a laptop
>portable that apparently uses a built in joystick instead of a mouse.
>Now, where do you think those people got their Mac ROMs? Think they
>walked up to Apple and asked real nice?
Actually, yes, I think they did.  As well as the circuit board.  Apple
is supporting (at least) 2 companies in the pursuit of a portable Mac.

				andy finkel
(Apple questions in Atari newsgroup *should* be answered by Commodore people :-)
--
			andy finkel
			Commodore/Amiga

"Never make anything simple and efficient when it can be complex and wonderful."

keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (02/10/87)

In article <12056@brunix.UUCP> rjd@nancy.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) writes:

>And before you say; oh, no...MacIntoshes are different! I suggest you
>pick up a copy of this monthes MacWorld...the new product out on the
>market is the world's first MacIntosh clone: the Dynamic. It is a laptop
>portable that apparently uses a built in joystick instead of a mouse.
>Now, where do you think those people got their Mac ROMs? Think they
>walked up to Apple and asked real nice?
>
>                     - Rob DeMillo
>		       Brown University - Planetary Science Group
>
>	UUCP: 		...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!rjd
>	CompuServe: 	73537,2737

The people who made the DynaMac (not the Dynamic) just took a Mac Plus,
and build the Mac motherboard into one of their portable cases.
The rest they threw away.  No wonder the DynaMac will cost more than a
Mac Plus!

The DynaMac does not use a joystick (shudder...) but a trackball. You
could use it a a laptop, but since it weighs just as much as a Mac Plus
I think it would be rather trying on your knees.

And yes; the DynaMac people are going to walk up to Apple and ask real
nice if they can have Mac Plus motherboards. Since they are working in
another market segment they think Apple won't mind them making portables
out of carriables.

-- Kees

|  UUCP	  : keeshu@nikhefk.uucp  or : {[wherever]!seismo}!mcvax!nikhefk!keeshu
|  FIDO   : kees huyser at 28/9 or 500/11
|  BITNET : u00212@hasara5.bitnet
|  SNAIL  : kees huyser, NIKHEF-K, PO Box 4395, 1009 AJ Amsterdam, Netherlands

HEART01@TAUNIVM.BITNET (RON LEOR) (01/05/88)

Dear sir.
    I  own an Atari 1040ST and I would like to try using  it  for
image  processing in cardiology.  I need a video digitizer  which
will  be  able to digitize stop-frame video  tape  pictures  (not
video  camera),  and be compatible with the video standards  PAL,
NTSC,  SECAM, colors and/or black and white. Apart from obtaining
the  pictures on the monitor screen,  I am interested in  getting
numeric  picture  files  of  8  bits  for  each  pixel.  I  would
appreciate if you will be able to find out for me information  on
the above subject, be it available commercial devices, electronic
kits,  tested circuits in data sheet form or BITNET addresses  of
ST users successfully employing such digitizers.
   I am looking forward to your answer.

                     Sincerely yours

                     Dr. Ron Leor,
                     The Heart Institute,