[comp.sys.atari.st] Resource file question

bob@wiley.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) (11/30/87)

Can a resource file be created on an IBM system and then used by an
Atari GEM application?

Or...

Does anyone know where I can buy a resource editor without a new C compiler?
I currently use MWC and am quite happy with it. I have no desire to spend
$100+ on another C compiler that has a resource editor.
--

		---Bob Amstadt
		bob@wiley.uucp

c9c-eh@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU (Warner Young (WHY)) (12/01/87)

In article <1592@wiley.UUCP> bob@wiley.UUCP () writes:
>Can a resource file be created on an IBM system and then used by an
>Atari GEM application?

	The answer is a qualified yes.  Theoretically, any GEM resource
file is compatible with any GEM system, but you should take into account
the fact that some resource information may include a pixel offset, and these
may cause some pains, especially if the source and target machines share
vastly different resolutions.

>Does anyone know where I can buy a resource editor without a new C compiler?
>I currently use MWC and am quite happy with it. I have no desire to spend
>$100+ on another C compiler that has a resource editor.

	I believe Antic carries one, but I have never seen it, so cannot
vouch for its quality or even for its shabbiness.

Disclaimer:  I'm not associated with		 \  /\   /arner
	the latest revision of SANITY.		  \/  \_/
Address: ucbvax!dorothy!c9c-eh			        |oung
	 c9c-eh@dorothy.Berkeley.EDU		     \__|

IGW@PSUVMB.BITNET (12/01/87)

a resource contruction set by itself. I don't remember the price. Also in
the source posted for the professional gem series I think there was a program
to convert IBM resouce file to ST and vice versa.

                                      Jim Condon

koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) (12/02/87)

In article <1592@wiley.UUCP> bob@wiley.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone know where I can buy a resource editor without a new C compiler?
>I currently use MWC and am quite happy with it. I have no desire to spend
>$100+ on another C compiler that has a resource editor.

Kuma Software makes the best resource editor I've seen.  It's called
"K-Resource" and is a really friendly, well-thought-out piece of software.

+New! Improved! Now 100% Artificial-+-+-----------------------------------+
|#   #  @@@  ****  &&&&& $$$$$ %   %| |Steven Grimm                       |
|#  #  @   @ *   * &       $   %   %+-+ ARPA: koreth@ucscb.ucsc.edu       |
|###   @   @ ****  &&&&    $   %%%%%| | UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth|
|#  #  @   @ * *   &       $   %   %+-+     ______________________________|
|#   #  @@@  *  ** &&&&&   $   %   %| |     |"Let's see what's out there."|
+-----with NutraSour(TM)!  No natural colors or preservatives!------------+

Jinfu_Jinfu_Chen@cup.portal.com (12/02/87)

RE: IBM resource <-> ST resource

Nope, the format is not the same due to Intel's  low-byte-first-high-byte-
second format. However, there is a program for the conversion which I believe
posted in CI$ along with the excellent GEM series by Tim Oren(an ex-DRI GEM
guru).

Antic sells K-Resource for $49(?) without any compiler. Last time I heard
the program has problem with the new ROM but they may have fixed it already.

In the meantime, I am happy using my MMC which comes with a RCS. :-)

Jinfu Chen

gert@nikhefh.UUCP (Gert Poletiek) (12/02/87)

In article <1592@wiley.UUCP> bob@wiley.UUCP () writes:
>Does anyone know where I can buy a resource editor without a new C compiler?
>I currently use MWC and am quite happy with it. I have no desire to spend
>$100+ on another C compiler that has a resource editor.
>
>		---Bob Amstadt
>		bob@wiley.uucp
>		{csvax.caltech.edu,uunet.uu.net,trwrb.uucp}!wiley!bob

You don't have to buy  complete new C compiler in order to get a resource
construction program. You could for example buy the Kuma rcp. It won't cost
you $100+.

Gert Poletiek

NIKHEF-H, Dutch National Institute for Nuclear and High Energy Physics
          Kruislaan 409, P.O.Box 41882, 1009 DB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
UUCP:     {decvax,cernvax,unido,seismo}!mcvax!nikhefh!gert
bitnet:   nikhefh!gert@mcvax.bitnet, U00025@hasara5.bitnet

euloth@dalcsug.UUCP (12/03/87)

>Does anyone know where I can buy a resource editor without a new C compiler?
>I currently use MWC and am quite happy with it. I have no desire to spend
>$100+ on another C compiler that has a resource editor.

I believe there is a program called K-resource, and maybe it is Antic that sellsit, but I believe that is is originally from England. I haven't seen it or know
of anyone that owns it, so I can't tell more than that. Hope that helps.

George Seto - Using a friend's account.

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) (12/03/87)

You might try looking to see if K-Resource is still available (by Kuma Software,
who else?).  It's been out a long while.  It's now available bundled with some
of the MetaComCo stuff (in particular the new Lattice C) but I believe that
Kuma still do it separately as well.  Don't have a clue what it costs, but
must be cheaper than a new compiler.

It produces (by switch option) appropriate 'include' type files for C,
FORTRAN, and 2 other languages which I've conveniently forgotten -- in
addition to the expected .RSC file.  Will also produce a 'non-specific
structured description' file (they say, I've never tried this) which is
alleged to be pretty easy to massage into an appropriate 'include' for
any unsupported language you might like.

The documentation is written in a bit of a 'too-folksy' style for my liking,
but the program is pretty intuitive to use which makes up for some of that.
It does, however, assume that you have some sort of a clue as to what the
various resource items/flags mean and do -- it doesn't teach you how to use
RSC files or what they mean, but rather gives a handle for making them.

bob@wiley.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) (12/03/87)

The Kuma Resource Editor is now unavailable. The product has been
discontinued.
--

csan@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Andie) (12/04/87)

In article <1298@saturn.ucsc.edu> koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) writes:

>Kuma Software makes the best resource editor I've seen.  It's called
>"K-Resource" and is a really friendly, well-thought-out piece of software.

I am in total agreement here. I use it in preference to any others I have.

Andie Ness . Department of Computer Science ,Edinburgh University.

ARPA:  csan%ed.itspna@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk   UUCP:  ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!itspna!csan
                   	JANET: csan@uk.ac.ed.itspna

% These are my own views and any resemblance to any coherent reasoning is
% probably a typo.

koreth@ssyx.UUCP (12/04/87)

In article <1607@wiley.UUCP> bob@wiley.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) writes:
>The Kuma Resource Editor is now unavailable. The product has been
>discontinued.
>--
>
>		---Bob Amstadt
>		bob@wiley.uucp
>		{csvax.caltech.edu,uunet.uu.net,trwrb.uucp}!wiley!bob

Are you sure about that?  I just got a new (well, newer than the one I
had before) version that works with the new ROMs and supposedly allows
64K resource files to be created (though I've never created a 10K file,
let alone a 64K one...)  That may be an old version that I just didn't
have, though.  At any rate, to whoever was looking for resource editors,
if you can find a mail order place that still has the Kuma editor, it's
worth the money.

+New! Improved! Now 100% Artificial-+-+-----------------------------------+
|#   #  @@@  ****  &&&&& $$$$$ %   %| |Steven Grimm                       |
|#  #  @   @ *   * &       $   %   %+-+ ARPA: koreth@ucscb.ucsc.edu       |
|###   @   @ ****  &&&&    $   %%%%%| | UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth|
|#  #  @   @ * *   &       $   %   %+-+     ______________________________|
|#   #  @@@  *  ** &&&&&   $   %   %| |     |"Let's see what's out there."|
+-----with NutraSour(TM)!  No natural colors or preservatives!------------+

bob@wiley.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) (12/06/87)

I have tried calling several places including "The Catalog," and they
all tell me that K-Resource is no longer available. If anyone does know
where I can get it, then please tell me.
--

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) (12/23/87)

In article <1607@wiley.UUCP> bob@wiley.UUCP (Bob Amstadt) writes:
>The Kuma Resource Editor is now unavailable. The product has been
>discontinued.
>--

This surprised me, because I know (a) that it is still in the shops in the UK;
and (b) it is listed in Kuma's very latest (Dec 87) product/price list.
Since I was writing to Kuma anyway (to get myself de-duped from their mailing
list -- one copy is enough) I asked about this.  The reply (from Jon Day,
their Marketing Director) says:

   Regarding K-Resource in the USA, all our products are available and
   distributed in America by C.S.S of Addison, Illinois, they can be
   contacted on 312-620-4444.  K-Resource was also distributed by Antic,
   however they seem to be concentrating primarily on entertainment
   titles now, whilst being unhelpful regarding other products.  We are
   workiing to further strengthen our distribution in the USA next year.

So, K-Resource *IS* still supposed to be available on the West of the pond.
But apparently not from Antic.  Suggest you try (or have your dealer try)
this C.S.S. lot.  Not worth a transAtlantic phone call to me to find out...

Failing that, Kuma themselves are Kuma Computers Ltd., 12 Horseshoe Park,
Pangbourne, Berkshire RG8 7JW, England (International phone 44-7357-4335),
though I confess I'd be reluctant to try international mail order myself.

(As usual, I have no connections with any of the companies named above,
except as an occasional purchaser of their products for my own use.)

Happy holidays.

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) (01/07/88)

I posted this before Xmas, but in the face of comms outages,
and ambiguous messages from our mailer, I'm not sure the original got through.
It's short enough it feels more efficient to re-post rather than to ask.  If
two copies arrived, sorry -- but save the net some traffic and don't bother
to tell me.  Happy New Year.