[comp.sys.atari.st] MULTI-TAXING

F27FRAJP@CARLETON.BITNET (GEORGE FRAJKOR) (01/09/88)

 THE oddball discussions on multi-tasking have made me wonder why
no one has thought of the obvious use-- figguring out your taxes. I
don't know if the US system is as silly as Canada's, but what has
always bugged me here is that you have to fill out innumerable
different schedules and calculate them depending on where your money
is coming from, because different sources of income are taxed
or treated differentlty. So you run your tax program. All is well
until it asks you to fill out sked 4, capital gains from real estate.
So you stop and start filling in what property you bought, how much
of it you sold, what proportion of the gain is taxable, etc. And you
income from domestic corporations (taxed at one rate) and from
foreign corporations (taxed at another) and you stop to figure that
one out.   Then it asks you to fill in your income from the oustide
consultancy work you've done that year, (minus expenses allowable)
and so on and so on.  Does no one see here what multi-tasking can do?
 In the background you can have a batch of separate schedule programs
doing the dog work all at once and feeding the results into the
main tax program.
  Software writers who haven't yet thought of this -- go ahead and
use my idea.  Just remember to send me a copy of the program. Canadian
form, please.

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (01/11/88)

In article <8801090114.AA23175@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> F27FRAJP@CARLETON.BITNET (GEORGE FRAJKOR) writes:

> THE oddball discussions on multi-tasking have made me wonder why
>no one has thought of the obvious use-- figguring out your taxes. I
> In the background you can have a batch of separate schedule programs
>doing the dog work all at once and feeding the results into the
>main tax program.

Umm, this would be a real waste of valuable programming effort for
several reasons. First, even the most complex set of tax schedules
that the government could ever imagine (and they appear to try every
year) can be fully recalculated in real time even on my little 8 bit
computers. Our computers can easily do 100 simple mathematical calculations
per second, and the amount of storage necessary to keep all the
possible forms and data structures resident in memory is well within
reason.

Some of the best tax programs I have ever used were, in fact, on
my old Atari 800. It had all the tax forms resident and you could
move back and forth between 20 or so forms, always seeing how much you
owed at the bottom of the screen. There are several good ones out for
the ST now (and I assume the Amiga), although I am using an IBM PC one
on the ST (under PC Ditto), which I have used for the last few years.

Another reason against multi-tasking in this area is programming
simplicity. By removing the linearity of the code execution, you would
be increasing the potential for programming errors, making debugging
a nightmare, reducing the portability of the code, and generally
just ignoring a fundamental programming tenant: KISS.