[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard Disk speed

RCST14@HEITUE5.BITNET (01/09/88)

Could someone please tell me whether or not there are PD utilities out there
that can shuffle my harddisk in order to put all files in one contiguous piece?
An other point I'd like to mention is the speed of the SH204 harddisk: of
course it is slowing down because of the file fragmentation, but I can hardly
only blame tiver
code? I'm wondering how well written it is...

Ps: I started thinking about all this when I saw one of those horrible
    *don't-say-the-name* ..DOS machines perform FAST after a cleanup...

                                                          Jan Joris Vereijken

RCST14@HEITUE5.BITNET (01/09/88)

Could someone please tell me whether or not there are PD utilities out there
that can shuffle my harddisk in order to put all files in one contiguous piece?
An other point I'd like to mention is the speed of the SH204 harddisk: of
course it is slowing down because of the file fragmentation, but I can hardly
only blame that for the low speed. Has anyone ever disassembled the driver
code? I'm wondering how well written it is...

Ps: I started thinking about all this when I saw one of those horrible
    *don't-say-the-name* ..DOS machines perform FAST after a HDcleanup...

                                                       Jan Joris Vereijken

BRIGHT@DALAC.BITNET (BOB BRIGHT) (01/17/88)

Jan Joris Vereijken <RCST14%HEITUE5.BITNET@forsythe.stanford.edu> writes:
>Could someone please tell me whether or not there are PD utilities out there
>that can shuffle my harddisk in order to put all files in one contiguous piece?

Simon Poole's DLII disk editing utility includes REORG.PRG, which will
reorganize files and directories on both hard drives and floppys.

BBB

Bob Bright <BRIGHT@DALAC.BITNET>
Philosophy Dept.
Dalhousie University