[comp.sys.atari.st] What's DVI?

wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) (01/09/88)

Yesterday I FTPed and downloaded UniTerm v2.0a (thanks, whats-yer-name at
Oregon State) to find, to my chagrin, that the documentation is in DVI format.
Well.. what's DVI? How do I get this file full of gibberish to make some
sense? Be warned that I have no printer..
--
Bill Wisner / wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU
The number of arguments is unimportant unless some of them are correct.

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) (01/10/88)

.DVI files are 'Device Independent' files as produced by the TeX formatter.
You then need to find a machine sommewhere which has TeX, and which has a
DVI to specific device 'conversion' program (aka 'driver').  (DVIST which
was posted some time ago won't hack it, because UG.DVI references font
files which were not present with DVIST.  I have heard rumours of a
DVI2PS program which will convert UG.DVI to a (huge) PostScript file,
which ought to be more amenable to being (painfully) battered into a
legible form, in the absence of a printer.  I haven't seen DVI2PS myself,
though.

Simon, if you're listening, how about putting out a 'human reabdibledable' form
of UG.DVI?

hakanson@mist.cs.orst.edu (Marion Hakanson) (01/10/88)

In article <7844@eddie.MIT.EDU> wisner@eddie.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) writes:
>Yesterday I FTPed and downloaded UniTerm v2.0a (thanks, whats-yer-name at
>Oregon State) to find, to my chagrin, that the documentation is in DVI format.

You're welcome.  As the one who made UniTerm available for FTP, I have
had a few other such queries about the DVI documentation file.  So:

>Well.. what's DVI? How do I get this file full of gibberish to make some
>sense? Be warned that I have no printer..

DVI is the output of the TeX (or LaTeX, in this case) text formatter.
It is a device-independent format for bitmapped display devices (such
as Sun displays, Apple Laserwriters (PostScript), Imagen laser printers
(imPress), etc.  Typically, one runs the DVI file through a program
which converts it to some device-specific format.

Simon Poole's Users Guide (about 65 pages) for UniTerm 2.0a prints out
beautifully on our Imagen laser printer, but not everyone can print
DVI files.  Luckily, we have here a program which converts DVI to
ordinary text.  The result is not very pretty, and requires more than
80 columns to print out, but it is easier to read than gibberish.

Get the README file (anonymous FTP on cs.orst.edu) to see which files
contain what (there is no need to retrieve them all).

Marion Hakanson         Domain: hakanson@cs.orst.edu
                        CSNET : hakanson%cs.orst.edu@relay.cs.net
                        UUCP  : {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!hakanson

john@viper.Lynx.MN.Org (John Stanley) (01/14/88)

In article <2072@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.sk> pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) writes:
 >Simon, if you're listening, how about putting
 >out a 'human readable' form of UG.DVI?

  I second the motion.  Distributing the documentation in a form that
99% of all users can't possibly read is very very unhelpful.  I really
don't understand what Simon had in mind when he sent out the most
recient posting...

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!meccts!viper!john

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) (01/19/88)

In article <503@viper.Lynx.MN.Org> john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) writes:
>  I second the motion.  Distributing the documentation in a form that
>99% of all users can't possibly read is very very unhelpful.  I really
>don't understand what Simon had in mind when he sent out the most
>recient posting...

Well, to be fair, it does make a much 'prettier' looking manual (as is TeX's
wont) -- including much more legible tables, particularly where 'non-ASCII'
characters are involved, as with the accented chars.

Also, I have a feeling that the takeup of TeX is higher in Europe, which
may have influenced the decision.  Still, an alternate form for us poor
folk would be nice.