[comp.sys.atari.st] I just read a note that says not to run park with a hard disk wi...

FORTNEY@FNALB.BITNET (01/20/88)

     A recent note warns not to run PARK with a hard disk window open.
Can someone explain the problem.  I've been doing this for some time
with no ill effect that I can see.  Of course I only do it when shutting
down.

exodus@uop.edu (G.Onufer) (01/22/88)

In article <8801201456.AA03282@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, FORTNEY@FNALB.BITNET writes:
>      A recent note warns not to run PARK with a hard disk window open.
> Can someone explain the problem.  I've been doing this for some time
> with no ill effect that I can see.  Of course I only do it when shutting
> down.

Well, if a window for a hard drive partition is open, the desktop will try
to read the directory for that partition when the PARK program exits.

And if the desktop tries hard enough, you may undo the park process.  Enough
seeks _will_ unpark the head on certain drives (on my micropolis, anyways).

Greg Onufer   		GEnie: G.ONUFER		University of the Pacific
UUCP:						**POSTMASTER @ UOP**
 {ucbvax, lll-crg}!ucdavis!uop.edu
				   !{exodus, exodusr, postmaster, root}
{ptsfa!cogent, cepu!retix}!uop.edu   [Any of the above names will work]
AT&T: 209-944-7481	USMAIL: #300 Jackson, UoP, Stockton CA, 95211

turner@daisy.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (01/22/88)

on some disks (like my maxtor) parking the head enables the head locking
mechanism which is disabled by cycling the power. If you have a HD window
open when you run park, gem will attempt to refresh the contents of the
window by reading the directory on the Hard Disk after park is done.

 Need I say more ?
--
Laissez les bons temps rouler                     -  Queen Ida
...{decwrl|ucbvax}!imagen!atari!daisy!turner (James M. Turner)