[comp.sys.atari.st] ?

chad@byuvax.bitnet (01/23/88)

meg upgrade for 520stfm?

I recently bought a 520STFM and would like any information on
how to upgrade to 1meg on board (a do it yourself type job with chips
and sockets).  We opened it up and looked at the mother board and
all the lines appear to be there for the next 512K like it is in a
1040.  Besides the chips, are there any jumpers to make, change, etc.?

I would appreciate any info (mail to me) on how to do this.
Thanks.

Chad

BITNET:  CHAD@BYUVAX

rich@lakesys.UUCP (01/24/88)

In article <87chad@byuvax.bitnet> chad@byuvax.bitnet writes:
>meg upgrade for 520stfm?
>

>I recently bought a 520STFM and would like any information on
>how to upgrade to 1meg on board (a do it yourself type job with chips
>and sockets).  We opened it up and looked at the mother board and
>all the lines appear to be there for the next 512K like it is in a
>1040.  Besides the chips, are there any jumpers to make, change, etc.?
>
>I would appreciate any info (mail to me) on how to do this.
>Thanks.
>
>Chad
>
>BITNET:  CHAD@BYUVAX

	I just completed another upgrade of the 520STfm machine. This last
machine was a revision D mother board.

	The only things that you need are
	16) 256 by 1 Drams (200 ns ( 150 ns is better ))
	16) Sockets for these (if you want to socket them)
	16) .22Uf 25wv Ceramic Caps.

	I use the easy mans means to make the mod in short order but you may
not have the tools that I use. I would suggest however, that you find someone
who may, and try and borrow it. Makes life alot easier than the solderWick
method that i'v heard others use. By this I mean, try and get a small PC board
drill. I used a Wahl Iso*Tip quick charge pen with a drill attachment. The
size drill I used was a .0330 Dia bit. Then I just proceded to drill the
closed holes open. This way I left some of the solder still there and and
did not run the chance of overheating the PC Board foils so as to have them
lift up. (Bummer when they do that)

	Insert the sockets and solder in, then insert the Caps and solder
in, then finally pop the Drams in the sockets. Thats about all there is to it.
I used a 700 degree isolated, temprature controlled soldering station, but
the main drift here is not to use any more heat than needed.

	Assemble the machine, less the rf sheild (until you know it's working
correctly) and boot up. Either run one of the Ram Check programs OR just a
simple P/D Ramdisk program, and create a 600K ramdisk. If you got all the
solder connections correct, you have it made. If you cannot create the
ramdisk, then check to make sure that the connectoins are all there. The
machine will still boot (unless you really have something screwed up) as the
first bank you never touched.

	I payed $89.00 for 16 NEC Drams, $24.00 for the sockets, and
$4.?? for the caps. Took 1 hour 50 minutes to complete the job, though if
your not as experienced as I, take your time. One mistake, and you could be
out a whole machine!

-rich.....
UUCP: {Ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!rich
Discalimer: The words,ideas,and expressions are my own, and not nessasarily
always correct ! I'll tell you how, its up to you to get it right....