[comp.sys.atari.st] $$$FREE$$$ multitasking kernal!

JEMCCABE@MTUS5.BITNET (01/15/88)

Date:    15 January 1988, 10:31:19 EST
From:    Jim McCabe                                JEMCCABE at MTUS5
To:      INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE.STANFORD.EDU
Subject: $$$FREE$$$ multitasking kernal!

The comments made by David Beckmeyer are _exactly_ the type
I've been waiting for.  I would love to have a low-cost
multitasking kernal available for the ST!

Sheesh, it doesn't even have to be free.  I'm sure most people
would be willing to fork() out a few bucks for a really nice
multitasking kernal.  However, if it's really going to make
a dent, it's probably going to have to be PD or shareware.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come out with such a system!

(Hell, something this good is almost enough to give a man
religion!  :)

+-----------------------+------------------------------------+
|  Jim McCabe           |  BITNET:  jemccabe @ mtus5.bitnet  |
|  G31 ECH MTU          |  UUCP:    mccabe2  @ mtuvaxb.uucp  |
|  Houghton, MI  49931  |           mccabe   @ m-net.uucp    |
+-----------------------+------------------------------------+

avy@yugas.UUCP (Avy MOISE) (01/20/88)

Get OS-9/68000 (the personal version is about 150.00). I have been using it
for about one year on the Atari-ST and have never touched GEM/TOS since.

OS-9/68000 is a TRUE/FAST/REAL multitasking/multiuser system...

Unix(TM etc.) is almost as good as OS-9....
No I am not working for Microware System Corporation...
--------------------------------------------------------------Avygdor Moise

tainter@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Tainter) (01/24/88)

In article <701@yugas.UUCP>, avy@yugas.UUCP (Avy MOISE) writes:

> Get OS-9/68000 (the personal version is about 150.00). I have been using it
> for about one year on the Atari-ST and have never touched GEM/TOS since.

Your available software just got very limited if you aren't going to use
GEM/TOS, especially graphics.  Note:  I don't really use the mouse interface
myself since it is so crappy compared to the Mac.  I have a home brew UNIX ksh
like environment.

> OS-9/68000 is a TRUE/FAST/REAL    multitasking/multiuser system...
                           add  ^/REALTIME   here
> Unix(TM etc.) is almost as good as OS-9....

This may have been humor, but when you are talking about a small machine with
no MMU OS/9 is FAR superior to UNIX except in volumn of software.  Although
the available software that would run under UNIX on anything but a 2 Meg
memory and 20 Meg hard disk ST is rather limited....
Maybe a shared segment version with the kernel and standard libraries stuck
out on the ROM port?  Hum, that might work.
Idris has a bad reputation on the PC.  But, what should we expect? CP/M 68K
and GEM have bad reputations too.  That's why Atari gets them cheap enough
for their tastes.

> -----Avygdor Moise

--j.a.tainter

greg@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Greg Franks) (01/29/88)

What about minix????  Granted it isn't exactly free, but at US$80, its
pretty close.  I saw an article which said shipping in June.

Minix will probably fix the 40 folder bug too :-).

It will probably port to the amiga quite easily too.  There, no more my
amari is better than your your atiga wars.

Time to buy a hard disk!

--
Greg Franks             XIOS Systems Corporation, 1600 Carling Avenue,
(613) 725-5411          Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Z 8R8