[comp.sys.atari.st] New ST owner needs help

jdd@bunker.UUCP (Judy D. Daniluk) (01/21/88)

I am the new owner of a 1040 ST, and I am looking for technical
documentation on the machine and the operating system, something like
Peter Norton's books for the IBM PC.  Any recommendations?

And in the meantime, can anyone tell me what "TOS ERROR #35" is?

| Judy Daniluk                         |  Bunker Ramo : an Olivetti Company   |
| {yale,decvax,philabs}!bunker!jdd     |  2 Enterprise Dr, Shelton, CT 06484  |

robert@richp1.UUCP (Robert Miller) (01/22/88)

In article <3209@bunker.UUCP> jdd@bunker.UUCP (Judy D. Daniluk) writes:

>I am the new owner of a 1040 ST, and I am looking for technical
>documentation on the machine and the operating system, something like
>Peter Norton's books for the IBM PC.  Any recommendations?

I would be interested in documentation like this also.
		ihnp4!richp1!robert

sc_dra@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Dave Allum) (01/27/88)

In article <2111@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.uk> pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) writes:
>There's also a book called something like 'Programming in C on the Atari ST',
>by 'Compute!' I think -- if not, by some other US magazine publisher.  It's
>pretty good for getting the flavour of things.  Can anyone provide the real
>proper correct name of this?

'Compute!'s ST Applications Guide: Programming in C'
by Field, Mandis & Myers (ISBN 0-87455-078-5).

Cover price is $19.95 though it cost me 17.95 pounds here in the UK.
Worth it though. It has a lot of good code in it and several large
applications built from a toolkit of routines that should provide most
of the functions needed for ST GEM. Also useful is the fact that these
routines take account of the bugs in ST GEM where possible. Some good
ones for building resource trees within programs too.

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (01/31/88)

I have found that Tim Oren's "ST PRO GEM" articles are probably the
BEST way to get a grasp of how GEM works, if that is what you are
interested in.  They are available in the U.S. on Compuserve, in Antic
Magazines Atari ST SIG (I think).  Do to the copyright on the columns,
I cannot post the columns here, but I can mail them to you on disk.
(The columns all say "Permission to copy is granted as long as this
message remains intact", or words to that order.  I once asked Antic
if I could post them on BIX, and they said it would violate their
agreement with Compuserve.)

Anyhow, I have the columns on three 720K disks: One contains the
original columns, one contains the columns in first word format, and
one contains the C source that accompanies the columns.  Say $10
for disks and postage, U.S. and Canada.  Try to find them locally,
if you can't, send mail and I'll send them to you.

	Wes Peters
	...{ihnp4,seismo}!utah-cs!utah-gr!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wes

GASPARD@HROEUR5.BITNET (01/31/88)

I'll agree that the 'Concise ref. Guide' is a good book.
But recently I have read the book 'ATARI ST Profibuch' from (german) SYBEX (isbn
 3-88745-501-0). It's the ultimate book, everything I have on information was in
 about 4 books, but now I only have to use this one.

The contents:

The operating system of the ST:
        BIOS, XBIOS, GEMDOS, VDI, AES, Systemvariables.

The hardware of the ST:
        Complete description of all the hardware (including the BLITTER)

The version wich I have is written in German, but perhaps there's an English ver
sion somewhere.

PS. It's 760 !! pages for about $35.