[comp.sys.atari.st] Mega vs 1040ST

gaspar@ALMSA-1.ARPA (Al Gaspar) (01/21/88)

I know what the basic differences are between the Mega and the ST line
(keyboard, memory, blitter, etc.)  However, I was considering
recommending the Mega to a novice user and happened to mention it to a
dealer (probably a bad choice :-)).  He made the comment that since the
1040ST was in its 17th revision (his terminology) it was a much more
stable machine than the Mega, which had just been released.  He went on
to say that if a bug free working environment was the priority, one
should stick with the 1040ST (and who would EVER want 2meg :-)).  I can
follow his thinking, but I'm not sure whether it is based on true
experience or just hypothesis.  Obviously, though the Mega is a new
machine, it is based on the earlier ST line.  Anyway, does anyone with
experience on both machines give any credence to this dealer's comments?

Cheers--

Al

--
Al Gaspar	<gaspar@almsa-1.arpa>
USAMC ALMSA, ATTN:  AMXAL-OW, Box 1578, St. Louis, MO  63188-1578

hmm@laura.UUCP (Hans-Martin Mosner) (01/25/88)

In article <8801211429.AA01062@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> gaspar@ALMSA-1.ARPA (Al Gaspar) writes:
>  He made the comment that since the
>1040ST was in its 17th revision (his terminology) it was a much more
>stable machine than the Mega, which had just been released.  He went on
>to say that if a bug free working environment was the priority, one
>should stick with the 1040ST (and who would EVER want 2meg :-)).  I can
>follow his thinking, but I'm not sure whether it is based on true
>experience or just hypothesis.

I suspect that this dealer just has a higher margin on the 1040 :-)
The Mega is in almost every respect the better ST.  It is so similar
to the 1040 et al that there are virtually no compatibility problems
(programs which use undocumented system variables break).
But you get a much better keyboard, more memory and a nicer case :-)
And there is the battery-backed-up clock, the blitter support,
the coprocessor support etc.
One thing that I don't like too much about the Mega is the fan.
Though the one in front of me is rather quiet, it's still a noise
that does not belong in an office.  I know that almost no PC comes
without one nowadays, but I don't like it...
Another thing (I hope Atari will fix it soon) is the weak
construction of the keyboard cable plug.  It looks like it is
very easy to break.  I did not try it yet...

'nuff said.  Go for the Mega !

	Hans-Martin

--
Hans-Martin Mosner		| Don't tell Borland about Smalltalk - |
hmm@unido.{uucp,bitnet}		| they might invent Turbo Smalltalk !  |

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (01/28/88)

In article <1425@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> tw@cscosl.UUCP (Thomas Wolf) writes:
>Maybe in the near future (?!?) even WE will become worthy of the blitter
>chip.  Let's all prey (in the general direction of Atari Headquarters) for such
>a miracle :-)

We pray.
Atari might prey (on us).
Not all of Europe has the blitter yet!

Since I have the floor, metaphorically speaking, I would say that a couple
of years ago Atari was well up front, and certainly ahead of Am*ga.
However, for the last year we have waited (in vain) for progress such
as the Blitter etc., and they have lost their edge.
Am*ga, meanwhile, has advanced a lot (even if they are affected by a virus).

I don't personally give a $*!t about 68020-based or transputer-based
future products: I do care about support and upgrade paths for products
that I buy. If I get the impression that a firm sells only different
products, each of which is then non-upgradeable to anything else then
I start thinking of going elsewhere.

Come on, Atari, get that bl**dy blitter out and available to ST users
			    EVERYWHERE.

GASPARD@HROEUR5.BITNET (01/31/88)

>For about a week Atari Holland is shipping the blitters to the -old- users.
>But the blitter does not give the ZAPPP-speed you may expect. But it's free.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about this above statement. The -old- users ar
e the users who have bought a MEGA without blitter and not the 520/260/1040 user
s.

It's free means that there isn't a way to buy a MEGA without a blitter. You'll p
ay for the blitter but you'll get it later. When it's ariving you don't have to
pay anymore.

So, that's justified.

Bert Rozenberg
Dutch ST-foundation