[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari + Next, Inc.?

UD140469@NDSUVM1.BITNET (01/16/88)

[a line for the line eater]
     I was skimming through a recent (this week's?) Infoworld and happened
upon some interesting rumors in the "Robert X. Cringely" rumor column in the
back.  Since I was just skimming, I didn't get all the details (so if you read
the article or have any other info, please comment to the net!), but here goes:

     According to the little blurb, Atari is working with Next, Inc. on
creating a 68020 machine that could run Mac & ST software.  Next, if I read it
correctly, is the company Steven Jobs formed after he left Apple.  Apparently
he has developed some Mac emulation hardware but needs someone to make it
cheaply for him.  Apparently a deal is being worked out where Atari will get
Mac technology in a trade for Atari's Amy sound chip (to be used in a future
Next workstation).  Atari, I'd like to hear from you about this (even a 'No
comment' !).

                   Scott Udell
                   UD140469@NDSUVM1.BITNET

[a line for the line eater]

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (01/20/88)

In article <518UD140469@NDSUVM1>, UD140469@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
> [a line for the line eater]
>      I was skimming through a recent (this week's?) Infoworld and happened
> upon some interesting rumors in the "Robert X. Cringely" rumor column in the
> back.
>
>      According to the little blurb, Atari is working with Next, Inc. on
> creating a 68020 machine that could run Mac & ST software.

Nice idea, but don't believe a word of it.

I called Cringely on the phone as soon as I read the piece.  Somehow, I
don't think he bought this story either.  :-)

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) (01/20/88)

In article <952@atari.UUCP>, neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
> In article <518UD140469@NDSUVM1>, UD140469@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
> > [a line for the line eater]
> >      I was skimming through a recent (this week's?) Infoworld and happened
> > upon some interesting rumors in the "Robert X. Cringely" rumor column in the
> > back.
> >
> >      According to the little blurb, Atari is working with Next, Inc. on
> > creating a 68020 machine that could run Mac & ST software.
>
> Nice idea, but don't believe a word of it.
>
> I called Cringely on the phone as soon as I read the piece.  Somehow, I
> don't think he bought this story either.  :-)
>
> --
> --->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
> UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil
> GEnie: NHARRIS/ WELL: neil / BIX: neilharris / Delphi: NEILHARRIS
> CIS: 70007,1135 / Atari BBS 408-745-5308 / Usually the OFFICIAL Atari opinion

Neil,

   Care to comment on this???

   In the January issue of Unix World it is stated  that Sig Hartmann says
a 68030 based machine that will run UNIX System V is in the works and
WILL BE AVAILABLE IN 1988.

   But then again, the same article says the ST uses a 68010...

Matt Singer

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) (01/22/88)

Ah well, *my* favourite rumour (from a humourous 'predictions for 1988 column')
is that sometime in 1988, Amstrad will file suit against all the other micro
manufacturers, on grounds that their 'screen and keyboard' hardware arrangement
infringes on the 'look and feel' of Amstrad machines.  (All other makers will
begin working on new designs, based around the abacus.)

john@terminus.UUCP (/dev/johnnie) (02/03/88)

In article <954@atari.UUCP>, neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
> In article <872@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) writes:
>
> > Neil,
> >
> >    Care to comment on this???
> >
> >    In the January issue of Unix World it is stated  that Sig Hartmann says
> > a 68030 based machine that will run UNIX System V is in the works and
> > WILL BE AVAILABLE IN 1988.
> >
> >    But then again, the same article says the ST uses a 68010...
> >

> > Matt Singer
>
> We should be ready to announce it at Hannover Faire.
>
> --
> --->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
> UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil
> GEnie: NHARRIS/ WELL: neil / BIX: neilharris / Delphi: NEILHARRIS
> CIS: 70007,1135 / Atari BBS 408-745-5308 / Usually the OFFICIAL Atari opinion

.... Much as I hate the Intel architecture, my brother has an AT clone
running MicroPort System 5 and it works pretty well.  But a 68030
machine can only improve the situation.  I like others I have heard on
this sig have been sorely disappointed with Atari's ability to support
the St series.  To know that a machine I have heard about being in the
works for over 2 years now, will finally come out is at least one step
forward.  However, I don't know what this says for Atari.  Any other
company that takes that long to bring out a promised machine would have
been out of business long before now.  Well enough of the bitch'n for I
am still eagerly awaiting the anouncement of the TT (or whatever they
call it).

-			-  Johnnie Peters  - DISCLAIMER:  SO WHAT?     -
-    /    \/ \/\/  \	-  Bill The Cat	   - !ihnp4!utah-cs!utah-gr!   -
-   / U i n T e c h \	-     Lives	   -   uplherc!sp7040!obie!    -
-			-  ACK THPPPPLL	   -   terminus!john           -