[comp.sys.atari.st] Starting up UniTerm

aoki@postgres (Paul M. Aoki) (01/09/88)

Has anyone succeeded in autostarting UniTerm?
I've tried:

sticking UniTerm in an auto folder
	EFFECT: three bombs.
sticking UniTerm in an auto folder with its aux. files
	EFFECT: screwed-up screen with a locked kb.
kicking off a shell from the auto folder, then calling
	UniTerm from the shell init file
	(I've tried ash 0.70 and the latest version of Gulam)
	EFFECT:	ash - random screen
		Gulam - UniTerm screen appears, then disappears
			and dumps me back into Gulam

I'm using UniTerm V2.0a 005, the version archived at cs.orst.edu.

Any suggestions?  It seems so pointless to have to doubleclick the
@#$% icon every time.
----------------
Paul M. Aoki
608-3 Evans Hall // UCB // Berkeley, CA 94720		(415) 642-1863
aoki@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU				...!ucbvax!aoki

slavin@acf4.UUCP (Scott Slavin) (01/10/88)

>Has anyone succeeded in autostarting UniTerm?
>I've tried:

>sticking UniTerm in an auto folder
>	EFFECT: three bombs.
>sticking UniTerm in an auto folder with its aux. files
>	EFFECT: screwed-up screen with a locked kb.
>kicking off a shell from the auto folder, then calling
>	UniTerm from the shell init file
>	(I've tried ash 0.70 and the latest version of Gulam)
>	EFFECT:	ash - random screen
>		Gulam - UniTerm screen appears, then disappears
>			and dumps me back into Gulam
>Any suggestions?  It seems so pointless to have to doubleclick the
>@#$% icon every time.
>Paul M. Aoki
>aoki@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU				...!ucbvax!aoki

You CANNOT start a program that accesses any part of GEM from bootup
AUTO folder.  GEM is initialize after the AUTO folder programs are run.

However there is a solution, but I have not tried it with UniTerm.  There
is a program (I think it was posted to the net) that is called something
like GEMSTART.  I don't exactly know how it works, or what limitation are
put on it ( if someone out there know, please post it) but it should do
the trick.

Scott Slavin
slavin@acf4.nyu.edu

john@viper.Lynx.MN.Org (John Stanley) (01/12/88)

In article <98@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> aoki@postgres (Paul M. Aoki) writes:
 >Has anyone succeeded in autostarting UniTerm?
 >I've tried:
 >
 >[description of many attempts deleted...]
 >
 >I'm using UniTerm V2.0a 005, the version archived at cs.orst.edu.
 >
 >Any suggestions?  It seems so pointless to have to doubleclick the
 >@#$% icon every time.

  Paul, all your descriptions boil down to one problem...  You're
still trying to run a program that uses the AES system before AES is
initialized.  The solution is to use a program called BOOTMAKR.PRG.

  This program allows you to create another program which, when placed
in your auto folder, will run a GEM program (one that uses AES or VDI
routines) just after the desktop appears without you having to touch
anything...  Since the desktop itself uses AES routines, the AES
system is initialized when the desktop boots, and your program (in
this case UNITERM) will run just fine...

  I'd rather not send BootMakr via mail because my local usenet node
is currently having problems with anything but 300baud and it would
take quite a while for me to upload even a relatively small program.
Check your local ST bbs systems...  If you still can't find what you
need, drop me a note and we'll see what we can work out to get the
program to you...

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!meccts!viper!john

dag@chinet.UUCP (Daniel A. Glasser) (01/12/88)

+
+sticking UniTerm in an auto folder
+	EFFECT: three bombs.
+sticking UniTerm in an auto folder with its aux. files
+	EFFECT: screwed-up screen with a locked kb.
+kicking off a shell from the auto folder, then calling
+	UniTerm from the shell init file
+	(I've tried ash 0.70 and the latest version of Gulam)
+	EFFECT:	ash - random screen
+		Gulam - UniTerm screen appears, then disappears
+			and dumps me back into Gulam
+
+I'm using UniTerm V2.0a 005, the version archived at cs.orst.edu.
+
+Any suggestions?  It seems so pointless to have to doubleclick the
+@#$% icon every time.
[return address omitted]

I'm not sure how many times this
has to be posted before people start
listening, but I'll try again...

Programs executed at boot-up from the \auto folder are executed before
GEM is initialized.  You cannot use any program that uses any of the
GEM AES before the Desktop program is started, which does not happen
until all of the auto folder programs are executed.

This is because in order to fit GEM into the ROMs, the clever guys at
Atari replaced a lot of the in-line subroutine jumps and some other
code with line-F "opcodes".  The line-F trap vector is not set up to
the GEM line-F handler until the desktop program is started, and some
of the handling appears to be in RAM.

Also, GEM requires a lot of context, which must be initialized before
it can be expected to act in a reasonable fashion.  This is also done
when the desktop is started.

Even programs that use Line-A graphics must be careful when running
from the auto folder -- They must provide their own line-a structure
since there is none set up yet by GEM.  This is not much of a problem,
though.

The solution is to use a program that somehow forces the desktop to
execute a program after it has started.  I think this is usually done
using a desk accessory.  I think such programs have been posted to
the net or are available on CI$, and other pay-services.

I hope this helps clear things up.

--
					Daniel A. Glasser
					...!ihnp4!chinet!dag

BRIGHT@DALAC.BITNET (BOB BRIGHT) (01/17/88)

>Has anyone succeeded in autostarting UniTerm?
>I've tried:
>
>sticking UniTerm in an auto folder
>    EFFECT: three bombs.
>sticking UniTerm in an auto folder with its aux. files
>    EFFECT: screwed-up screen with a locked kb.
>kicking off a shell from the auto folder, then calling
>    UniTerm from the shell init file
>    .
>    .
>    .
>Any suggestions?  It seems so pointless to have to doubleclick the
>@#$% icon every time.
>----------------
>Paul M. Aoki
>608-3 Evans Hall // UCB // Berkeley, CA 94720        (415) 642-1863
>aoki@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU                ...!ucbvax!aoki

This has come up before, but....
     Programs placed in the AUTO folder are run during the boot process
*before* GEM has fully initialized.  Uniterm needs GEM, which explains
the bombs.  I use the following program to autostart GEM applications
(can't remember where I got it just at the moment).  Simply place
STARTGEM.PRG in your AUTO folder, and use a disk editor to change the
filename in the program to whatever you want to autostart.  (The
following copy will look for Uniterm in the root directory of A:.)  Your
GEM application will start up after initialization is complete and
the desktop has appeared.

BBB

Bob Bright <BRIGHT@DALAC.BITNET>
Philosophy Dept.
Dalhousie University
Halifax, NS  B3H 3J5

table
 !"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?
@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]~_
begin 644 STARTGEM.PRG
M8!H   $(    8@                       $'Z 60@KP $2'H!,C\\  E.z
M05Q/=$8_/  E3DY43U'*__9"IS\\ "!.05Q/=/\CP@   "Q%~@ D(\H   32y
M+P _/  @3D%<3T'Z 1R1~@$80F<O"#\\ #%.07#_L+D    L9S)"N0  !-(@x
M>0   "Q#~@#"(HA#~@ @(\D    L(&@ %B!H!\@D:  *U.@ $$/Z *8BBDYUw
M(&\  @Q0\(QF  !4(_H C@   "P@>@"*0_H F1#99OQ(>0   0@_/  :3D%<v
MCS\\ "=(>@!_/SP 3DY!4(]*0&8<(&\  @Q0]+AG&%2(L?P _O_~9PBQ_  'u
M@ !FZ"!Z #Q.T#0?6$]&PM[\ #A.T                               t
M                                       ;14%U=&]S=&%R="!O9B!!s
M.EQ53DE415)-+E!21P                !%3U!!    N@ ' 10!"@ P    r
M" $                  &(                                     q
M                                                            p
1                        o
end

long@sask.UUCP (Warren Long) (01/19/88)

> >Has anyone succeeded in autostarting UniTerm?
>
> However there is a solution, but I have not tried it with UniTerm.  There
> is a program (I think it was posted to the net) that is called something
> like GEMSTART.  I don't exactly know how it works, or what limitation are

I tried starting uniterm up using GEMSTART.  It would run okay, but
no matter where I put the .INF file, it was unable to find it.

Warren

--
=-=-=-=-=-Warren Long at University of Saskatchewan, Canada-=-=-=-=-
Home: 78 Carleton Dr.,Saskatoon, Sasakatchewan, S7H 3N6

Jinfu_Jinfu_Chen@cup.portal.com (01/21/88)

RE: STARTGEM.PRG

Does anyone have copy of this program working with the new ROM?

Jinfu Chen

aoki@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) (01/24/88)

In article <990@sask.UUCP> long@sask.UUCP (Warren Long) writes:
>> >Has anyone succeeded in autostarting UniTerm?
>>
>> However there is a solution, but I have not tried it with UniTerm.  There
>> is a program (I think it was posted to the net) that is called something
>> like GEMSTART.  I don't exactly know how it works, or what limitation are
>
>I tried starting uniterm up using GEMSTART.  It would run okay, but
>no matter where I put the .INF file, it was unable to find it.

Thank you to the bzillions of people who referred me to
STARTGEM.PRG.  For those who want it but missed
it's most recent posting, it's also available on score.stanford.edu.

I wound up putting STARTGEM.PRG in A:\AUTO\
and UNITERM.* in A:\, with the program name string in STARTGEM.PRG
changed to "A:\UNITERM.PRG".

-- Paul

P.S. I can do without the "jeez, didn't you get it the *last* time
it came by?" comments...it all depends on when someone started
reading the newsgroup, doesn't it.  If your site keeps every
netnoise message ever sent, good for you, but poor public schools
like Berkeley don't have that much disk space.

Perhaps a biweekly (monthly?) message should be posted which
describes the "usual" issues:
	FOLDRXXX.PRG, STARTGEM.PRG, COMMAND.PRG (to start GULAM) ...
	what ftp/LISTSERV servers are available and how to use them
	uud, uue, arc, shar ...
	the time since the last comp.{binaries, sources}.atari.st
		posting :-)
	etc.
Comments?  Volunteers?

pete@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Peter Santangeli) (01/24/88)

In article <990@sask.UUCP> long@sask.UUCP (Warren Long) writes:
>> >Has anyone succeeded in autostarting UniTerm?
>>
>> However there is a solution, but I have not tried it with UniTerm.  There
>> is a program (I think it was posted to the net) that is called something
>> like GEMSTART.  I don't exactly know how it works, or what limitation are
>
>I tried starting uniterm up using GEMSTART.  It would run okay, but
>no matter where I put the .INF file, it was unable to find it.

	I would assume that Uniterm looks for the .inf file in the the
"current directory" (cwd for unix folks). When using GEMSTART the current
directory is either 1 of two things.
	1. if you have any windows open according to desktop.inf, then
	   cwd is the top most window.
	2. if you have no windows open according to desktop.inf, then
	   cwd is the root directory of the boot device.
	Try making up a disk with no windows open, and sticking uniterm
	and its files at the root. This should work fastest.

	Pete Santangeli
	pete@utgpu

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET (01/27/88)

Date: 27 January 1988, 00:13:00 GMT
From: Simon Poole               056/26 87 43         K538915  at CZHRZU1A
To:   INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE.STANFORD

Hey, what this .inf file? I can assure everybody that UniTerm looks
for a number of things but not for a .inf file!

Files looked for in UniTerm 2.0a:

                          UNITERM.SET
                          UNITERM.TEL
Both files are searched for in the current working directory, this may
be in a slightly odd place with GEMSTART (I've never used it myself),
since for stuff started in the AUTO folder the cwd is possibly (I think
I tried this out once) the root directory of the boot disk............

                          Simon

                          Bitnet: K538915@CZHRZU1A
                          UUCP:   .....mcvax!cernvax!forty2!poole

pete@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Peter Santangeli) (02/04/88)

In article <8801262323.AA11279@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET writes:
>Date: 27 January 1988, 00:13:00 GMT
>From: Simon Poole               056/26 87 43         K538915  at CZHRZU1A
>To:   INFO-ATARI16 at SCORE.STANFORD
>
>Hey, what this .inf file? I can assure everybody that UniTerm looks
>for a number of things but not for a .inf file!
>
>Files looked for in UniTerm 2.0a:
>
>                          UNITERM.SET
>                          UNITERM.TEL
>Both files are searched for in the current working directory, this may
>be in a slightly odd place with GEMSTART (I've never used it myself),
>since for stuff started in the AUTO folder the cwd is possibly (I think
>I tried this out once) the root directory of the boot disk............

	I guess no one heard me so I'll say it again. I experimented
with GEMSTART and found the following.
	1. If your DESKTOP.INF file includes any OPEN WINDOWS on the
desktop, then the current working directory will be set to the uppermost
of them. (just like on the desktop!)
	2. Otherwise, the current working directory will be set to the