[comp.sys.atari.st] info atari

"Robert_L._White.ESXC15"@Xerox.COM (01/26/88)

Hi all,
I know you have all heard this question before, but I need someone to answere
this question, who knows for sure the correct answere.

What is the 40 folder limit?

Is it per partition?
Is it 40 folders in the root directory?
is it 40 folders for all partitions (intire hard disk)
What is it?
I have had people tell me it 40 folders for the entire hard disk.
Another person told me its 40 folders per partition.
Another told me it no more than 40 folders in the root directory.

Please Please Please someone give me the correct answere.
Thanks
Robert L. White
Xerox Corp.

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (holly stowe) (02/03/88)

In article <880126-191259-2856@Xerox> "Robert_L._White.ESXC15"@Xerox.COM writes:

>What is the 40 folder limit?

And here's my answer... *grin*  It's 40 folders accessed between cold boots.

Will the real answer (Neil, are you there?) please stand up?

tainter@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Tainter) (02/04/88)

In article <880126-191259-2856@Xerox>, "Robert_L._White.ESXC15"@Xerox.COM writes:
> Hi all,
> I know you have all heard this question before, but I need someone to answere
> this question, who knows for sure the correct answere.

> What is the 40 folder limit? Is it per partition? in the root directory?
> for all partitions (entire hard disk)?  What is it?

It is 40 folder ACCESSES across the entire hard disk and floppies.
The limit is imposed by the available directory buffering space on
the ST (a fixed value).  With floppies when you change the media
it will free the buffers for directories on the removed media.  But
the hard disk never does this so it never unbuffers their directories.

> Another told me it no more than 40 folders in the root directory.

Their is a limit of 256 directory entries on your root os something like
that.  But that is a different problem.

csan@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Andie) (02/04/88)

In article <880126-191259-2856@Xerox> "Robert_L._White.ESXC15"@Xerox.COM writes:
>What is the 40 folder limit?

I don't know if this is entirely correct, but since no-one else has answered
you,.....

	I believe that the 40 folder bug is due to the memory management bug
in TOS (or whatever). It appears after you open a non-deterministic number of
folders ( ~ 40 ) during one session (ie. between resets or power cycles).

I think this is correct.. maybe someone will give the definitive answer.

Andie Ness . Department of Computer Science ,Edinburgh University.

ARPA:  csan%ed.itspna@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk   UUCP:  ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!itspna!csan
                   	JANET: csan@uk.ac.ed.itspna

% These are my own views and any resemblance to any coherent reasoning is
% probably a typo.