[comp.sys.atari.st] FREE Multitasking "kernal" sick

jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (02/06/88)

PLEASE!!!  Spare me!!!  The word, despite the official mis-spelling of
the CBM Corp., is "kern-E-l".  Since the sequence -E- is awkward to type,
however, most dictionaries list it as just "kernel".  (That's a joke, in case
it escaped you.)

-John Sangster / jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa
(special undercover agent of the Grammar Police, on Spelling Detail today.)

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (02/07/88)

In article <8802052229.AA04769@mitre-bedford.ARPA> jhs@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA writes:
>PLEASE!!!  Spare me!!!  The word, despite the official mis-spelling of
>the CBM Corp., is "kern-E-l".

Its only the official mispelling on those machines that have that particular
jump table that acted as the basis for the OS...(the Amiga has a graphics
kernel, for instance)  But what disappointment!  Here I was, waiting for
a multitasking C-64 OS, and you cruely dash my hopes :-(

There's an interesting (well, sort of) story behind the kernal and how
it got to be spelled that way , which you can hear from many of my
old friends at Atari :-)

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle."