[comp.sys.atari.st] SH204 and MS-DOS

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (01/21/88)

[]

I got hold of the fix from Avante Guarde to make MS-DOS correctly read
the Atari SH204 hard disk under PC-Ditto.  Turns out that the boot
parameters in the HD are trashed after running the Atari utilities.
Here are correct values of the trashed parameters in logical sector 0
of each HD partition: (the trashy ones sure looked suspicious!)

		correct		trash

	NFATS	02		20
	MEDIA	F8		73
	SPT	0011		2E70
	NSIDES	0004		2C73
	NHID	0001		2076

(all in hex).  I also put F8 in the first sector of each copy of the FAT
in each partition, just in case (the fix program from A.G. does not do that).
They say you must fix it again after EACH TIME you run HDX or HINSTALL.
(Oh, BTW: where in the world am I supposed to get HINSTALL and SH204DVR.SYS,
the official (?) Atari HD boot stuff?  The SH204 I bought was shipped this
fall with only AHDI and HDX.  In contrast, Supra supplies a very nifty HD
sector editor.)

- Moshe Braner

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (02/04/88)

In article <3444@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (braner) writes:
>I got hold of the fix from Avante Guarde to make MS-DOS correctly read
>the Atari SH204 hard disk under PC-Ditto.  Turns out that the boot
>parameters in the HD are trashed after running the Atari utilities.
>Here are correct values of the trashed parameters in logical sector 0
>of each HD partition: (the trashy ones sure looked suspicious!)
>
>		correct		trash
>
>	NFATS	02		20
>	MEDIA	F8		73
>	SPT	0011		2E70
>	NSIDES	0004		2C73
>	NHID	0001		2076
>
>(all in hex).  I also put F8 in the first sector of each copy of the FAT
>in each partition, just in case (the fix program from A.G. does not do that).
>They say you must fix it again after EACH TIME you run HDX or HINSTALL.

Firstly, this is meaningful only to those who know what are the values
of NFATS etc., which does not include me! My hard disk has the bootstrap
of HDB version 2.3, and nowhere in the first sector of each partition
do I see any corresponding values (trash or correct). However, PCDITTO
fails to recognise that I have any hard disk at all, whatever I try.

>(Oh, BTW: where in the world am I supposed to get HINSTALL and SH204DVR.SYS,
>the official (?) Atari HD boot stuff?  The SH204 I bought was shipped this
>fall with only AHDI and HDX.  In contrast, Supra supplies a very nifty HD
>sector editor.)

Same question. I got mine ages ago, with AHDI and HDX. Had never heard
of HINSTALL and SH204DVR.SYS. Are these necessary to recognise the hard
disk?

Another question re PCDITTO, which I bought (pause to polish halo) from
England. The docs I got claimed that it was not the same as the US version,
but actual use shows that it still has a hard-wired US keyboard: not too
different from the UK one, but annoying. Unlike Gulam, it does not appear
to have the mappings for physical key to character, but it does have
some tables (256 bytes long: sounds familiar) which might have some effect.
Plea to US writers: please remember that there are different keyboards,
including extra keys, plus foreign characters which require 8 bits in
Atari internal character representation.
Plea to European/UK people: has anyone figured out how to modify these
tables in PCDITTO.

Entirely unrelated subject: does anyone have a copy of bootmakr.prg, as
I want to be able to automatically start UniTerm AFTER running gemboot.

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (02/07/88)

In article <617@cernvax.UUCP> jmg@cernvax.UUCP () writes:
>In article <3444@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (braner) writes:
>>I got hold of the fix from Avante Guarde to make MS-DOS correctly read
>>the Atari SH204 hard disk under PC-Ditto.  Turns out that the boot
>>parameters in the HD are trashed after running the Atari utilities.
>>Here are correct values of the trashed parameters in logical sector 0
>>of each HD partition: (the trashy ones sure looked suspicious!)

OK, here it is again, with the offsets into the boot sectors (which are
logical sector 0 of each partition, NOT the first sector of the physical
disk, which holds the partition info and autobooting code).  (Mr. Pratt
at Atari told me that the BIOS function Rwabs() with r/w parameter of 0
reads the logical sectors of the partitions, but with r/w = 2 and record
number = 0 one can read the master boot sector.)

offset	bytes		correct		trash

10	1	NFATS	02		20
15	1	MEDIA	F8		73
18	2	SPT	0011		2E70
1A	2	NSIDES	0004		2C73
1C	2	NHID	0001		2076

(all in hex).  Note that the 2-byte entries are in INTEL format,
i.e. low-order byte first!  (That's for MD-DOS compatibility.)
I also put F8 in the first sector of each copy of the FAT
in each partition, just in case (the fix program from A.G. does not do that).
They say you must fix it again after EACH TIME you run HDX or HINSTALL.

>... However, PCDITTO
>fails to recognise that I have any hard disk at all, whatever I try.

You need PCD version 3.0.

- Moshe Braner

PS: PCD still does not recognize my 5.25 inch drive B: !!!