[comp.sys.atari.st] Multiuser BBS & HDSCAN/DISKTOP

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (01/11/88)

[let's do lunch]

Wait wait wait!!  Instead of jumping all over someone (Neil in this case)
for not having a complete understanding of a system with which you've
worked for a couple years, why not make an effort to simply explain?
I suppose maybe it's because I remember my STadel roots because it wasn't
all that long ago that I first logged into Pell and uttered a few *eek!*s
myself.  Yes, folks!  I was one of those new users who G'd (Goto) every
room in the system.  (Mind you, this was in Pell's early days... which,
if I understand correctly, was the last time Neil really looked at STadel.)

STadel has changed a lot in this last year.  Even though the basic concept
remains the same, it has become much more friendly to the new user who
takes the time to read the opening prompt of "[?]=menu, [H]=Help, [L]=Login".
I think most any new user can figure out what to do with those.  Seeing
as the resulting blurbs are user-defined, almost anything can go in them.

How about if we back off flamingat Neill?  Something tells me that flames
aren't going to endear STadel to the man's heart.  (Or anyone's for that
matter!  Who wants to try out a program where they may well get flamed
for not understanding something?!)  Instead, why not try to explain STadel
from concept to practical usage.  If nothing else, I think it reflects better
on the Citadel community as a whole.

Now... for those of you who are interested... (Neil?)  I am working on
(slowly but surely) a tutorial/blurb about Citadel/STadel.  Don't expect
it to be done in the next few days, but maybe in a week or two.  When
I'm finished, I will mail it out to those who are interested (Neil? *grin*)
or post it to the net if the size is not prohibitive and there is enough
interest.

Holly  (...!rutgers!indycms.bitnet!ihls400 or just IHLS400@INDYCMS.BITNET)

Have a day!

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) (01/14/88)

I was watching a PBS show on TV the other night, something called The
Computer Chronicles.  They were talking about manufacturing in Taiwan, which
was pretty interesting, but then the phone rang.  I started recording the
show on the VCR and answered the phone.  When I finished on the phone and
went back to watch the parts of the show I missed, I was pleasantly
surprised.  They were talking about Atari!  All of a sudden, this voice
starts speaking, the picture flashes on the screen, and lo and behold, Neil
Harris is really a normal looking person, not some forked-tongue demon who
delights in feeding Atari users vicious rumors.  Course then the tape ran
out after Neil had said only a few words :-).

I just thought the net would like to know that Neil actually was a real
person, since sometimes he isn't treated as one.

Thanks a lot for the help with finding me a dealer in my area, Neil!!!

                                   Adam
--
Adam C. Engst                                     engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
        		      		          pv9y@cornella.bitnet

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (01/15/88)

In article <11400008@silver>, stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

> Now... for those of you who are interested... (Neil?)  I am working on
> (slowly but surely) a tutorial/blurb about Citadel/STadel.  Don't expect
> it to be done in the next few days, but maybe in a week or two.  When
> I'm finished, I will mail it out to those who are interested (Neil? *grin*)
> or post it to the net if the size is not prohibitive and there is enough
> interest.

Sure, I would not mind seeing it.  But, I have indeed used STadel boards
more recently, and I personally have very little trouble navigating through
them.  But they still strike me as counter intuitive, especially if you want
to download something.  And I can't accept that in the boards I'm running.

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

In article <3367@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) writes:

> I was watching a PBS show on TV the other night, something called The
> Computer Chronicles.  They were talking about manufacturing in Taiwan, which
> was pretty interesting, but then the phone rang.  I started recording the
> show on the VCR and answered the phone.  When I finished on the phone and
> went back to watch the parts of the show I missed, I was pleasantly
> surprised.  They were talking about Atari!  All of a sudden, this voice
> starts speaking, the picture flashes on the screen, and lo and behold, Neil
> Harris is really a normal looking person, not some forked-tongue demon who
> delights in feeding Atari users vicious rumors.  Course then the tape ran
> out after Neil had said only a few words :-).
>
> I just thought the net would like to know that Neil actually was a real
> person, since sometimes he isn't treated as one.
>
> Thanks a lot for the help with finding me a dealer in my area, Neil!!!

Made my day, Adam.  Thanks.

I thought the show did a really good job on the Taiwan manufacturing issue.
Which is good, because they filmed here for an entire day!

Did anyone see their coverage of Comdex?  I haven't seen that one yet
myself, but I hear that Abaq got on at some length.

--

tainter@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Tainter) (01/17/88)

In article <945@atari.UUCP>, neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:
> Sure, I would not mind seeing it.  But, I have indeed used STadel boards
> more recently, and I personally have very little trouble navigating through
> them.  But they still strike me as counter intuitive, especially if you want
> to download something.  And I can't accept that in the boards I'm running.

Now this is funny (as in odd, not laughable)!  I've used the Atari boards and
the downloading struck me as far more counter intuitive than Stadel.
Which I have only used casually 3 or 4 times, and I have done up and down loads.

Well folks.  Neil has made up his mind and the issue is now religion so
no amount of logic will move him.

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (01/22/88)

In article <947@atari.UUCP>, neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:

> I thought the show did a really good job on the Taiwan manufacturing issue.
> Which is good, because they filmed here for an entire day!
>
> Did anyone see their coverage of Comdex?  I haven't seen that one yet
> myself, but I hear that Abaq got on at some length.

I did see the Computer Chronicles about the Comdex show about three weeks
ago and thought they did a good job of covering Atari.  They talked about
the Abaq, the CD-ROM and the Laser Printer as well as some of the desk
top publishing packages as I recall.  Move coverage of Atari than I have
seen in a long time.

On an unrelated issue, Neil, what did you guys do to tick off Activision?
They are not only dropping coverage for us 8bit users (not unexpected :-( )
but also for the ST.  Infocom (an Activision subsidiary now) is not going
to write any more games for Atari period.  What gives?  How hard can it
be to port their text adventures for the Atari machines?  After all, it
is mostly just formating text for the screen (except Beyond Zork, which
is supposed to have some nice ST graphics support).  I have bought several
of their games for the 8bit and so have many other users in our User Group.
Are we the only ones?  Can sales really be that bad?  I find it that hard
to believe.

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes

rjung@nunki.usc.edu (Robert Alley Jung) (01/23/88)

Now THERE'S a theory! It rather struck me as odd that Infocom would "stop/lower
their Atari support", especially since it IS (as you said it) formatting text.
I've completely forgotten about the Activison link there.

But then, what COULD have happened between Activision and Atari? I doubt the
"former Atari programmers" would be angry at the NEW Atari, since Jack Tramiel
wasn't even around at the time. Must be some kind of behind-the-drapes deal
that got blown, maybe?

This would also explain why Activision's first ST program, FILM DIRECTOR, still
hasn't been released (it was mentioned in an Activision newsletter from last
October, and I'm still waiting!)...Hmmm...

						--R.J.
						B-)

P.S. I know it's been officially denied, but I *STILL* like to believe there's
some hanky-panky between Electronic Arts and Commodore to stop Atari support...
(I'm sorry, but Trip Hawkin's interview in ANALOG a few months back didn't
hold water with me)

Thomas_E_Zerucha@cup.portal.com (02/07/88)

The Author of Inner Sanctum now has it running under MT C Shell in background
and all it should need to do multiuser (besides a lot of memory) is a
multiplexer.  Inner Sanctum is a Citadel mutant - but with nearly everything
that there were complaints about have been fixed (private messages in any
room, etc.).