[comp.sys.atari.st] RTX, MT-C shell, TOS compatibility?

goldstein@aim.dec.com (fred, k1io@FN42jk, +1 617 486 7388) (02/06/88)

Dave Beckemeyer's comments recently have been interesting.  Before I
even bought my ST in 1986, I had asked around about multi-tasking
options, and saw MT-C shell.  But not having a hard disk and not being
a "unuch", I didn't really have much use for it.

Now he generously suggests making Micro-RTX, the multitasking back
end, free.  This would allow software developers to write to a "standard"
method of multitasking (where "standard" means "the one that's free so
everybody can use it").  And, I suppose, he could still _sell_ both
the developer's kits and MT-C shell.  I sense a nice business plan
here:  Give away the back end and get enough volume to sell the rest.
If I were in his shoes I'd probably figure it's worth a try.

But that gets down to my real question:  How much of TOS is really
replaced by RTX or by the other BDT products?  It sounds as if they
really rewrote TOS into a multi-tasking OS.  If that's true, and if
it really will run existing software (my 40-odd floppies of applications;
I'm not a developer), then it may be worth paying for.  Just to get the
original's bugs out!

So, will MTC-shell and/or Micro-RTX do the following?

                        MTC                          RTX

Run existing non-GEM programs, like MicroEmacs?
	In the background?
Run exisitng GEM programs, like Uniterm?
	With others in the background?
	Switch between GEM programs?
	Switch between non-GEM and GEM programs?

What limitations are there?  Thankx.
          fred

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (02/08/88)

In article <8802051700.AA01475@decwrl.dec.com> goldstein@aim.dec.com (fred, k1io@FN42jk, +1 617 486 7388) writes:
> [much removed]
>So, will MTC-shell and/or Micro-RTX do the following?
>
>Run existing non-GEM programs, like MicroEmacs?
>	In the background?
RTX will indeed run non-GEM programs in the background.  This includes
commands like compilers, makes, arc, kermit, and most other *.TTP or
*.TOS programs.  Interactive programs like MicroEMACS are not very useful
in the background however.  But they can be used from an auxiliary terminal,
while something else is going on the the ST console.

>Run exisitng GEM programs, like Uniterm?
>	With others in the background?
>	Switch between GEM programs?
>	Switch between non-GEM and GEM programs?

RTX will run existing GEM programs. These must be run from the main console
screen (of course).  Only one GEM program may used at a time; RTX does
not re-implement the GEM calls, only the BIOS and GEMDOS calls.  Non-GEM
programs may be running concurrently with the one GEM program.  There is
also a way to switch between non-GEM programs and the GEM program, via
a Desk Accessory (which is also a way to "simulate" multiple GEM programs).

>What limitations are there?  Thankx.
>          fred

The main limitiations are memory and "ill-behaved" programs.  RTX is a
"in memory" system (i.e. it doesn't swap).  Also the ST has no hardware
memory management, and only the "low memory" protection.  When RTX runs
out of physical memory, no more processes can be started until one
finishes.  As for "ill-behaved" programs, we're mostly talking about
programs that forsake the OS calls for "speed" or some other reason.
If the application makes TOS calls, it will usually run.  If it hacks
hardware directly or otherwise bypasses the OS, then most likely will
not run.