[comp.sys.atari.st] Removable Hard Disk

bryan@ihnet.ATT.COM (b. k. delaney) (02/06/88)

Hello,

After reading the Article in Winter 1987 issue of START about
hooking up a second hard disk onto the SH204 disk I found an
add in Computer Shoper for a SyQuest SQ 306R removable 5 Meg.
system for only 179.00, "extra disks cost 35.00".

After hooking it up and using the Supra routines from GENIE I
am happy to report everything works GREAT.  The only problem
that I have is that the ST does not know when I change disks.
The only way it notices a "new" disk, is when I reboot the
machine. Is there a program out there that will cause the
ST to re read the directory structure of a hard disk?

p.s. Hello Allan Pratt,

While you are fixing GEM could you make it so that GEM will
re read the Disk Structure from the disk (or what ever needs to be done)
when you hit the Esc key, even if it thinks the media has not changed?

				Thanks alot,
				Bryan DeLaney
				AT&T Bell Laboratories
				Naperville IL
				ihnet!bryan

john@viper.UUCP (02/09/88)

In article <598@ihnet.ATT.COM> bryan@ihnet.ATT.COM (b. k. delaney) writes:

 >After hooking it up and using the Supra routines from GENIE I
 >am happy to report everything works GREAT.  The only problem
 >that I have is that the ST does not know when I change disks.
 >The only way it notices a "new" disk, is when I reboot the
 >machine. Is there a program out there that will cause the
 >ST to re read the directory structure of a hard disk?

  Yes there is.  A program written by Moshe Braner called UPROOT will
cause GEMDOS to see a media changed signal on any drive, hard disk or
floppy.  I can send you a copy if you can't find it localy.

  By the way...  If you're using the Supra utilities, you should send
them some money.  Last time I checked they were being nice-guys and
distributing updates via GEnie and Compuserve.  Unfortunately, many
people have used Supras' being nice to SUPRA customers as though the
utilities were public domain (which they are not!).  Supra has allways
been willing to sell their utilities to anyone, but only Supra
customers are suppost to receive the updates for free.....

  If you don't own a Supra hard disk, send $24.95 to:

	Supra Corp.
	1133 Comercial Way
	Albany, or 97321

  to receive a disk with the utilities and documentation.

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!meccts!viper!john