[comp.sys.atari.st] DBMan Update

ted@banyan.UUCP (Ted Bailey) (02/04/88)

If anyone knows,

	I attempted calling Atari customer support twice today, and cut off on
both occassions without an answer to the following questions:

	Is there an update to DBMan v.2.02, and is there an "assist" style
GEM interface available? (Neil??)

On another vain, does anyone have an idea of when Atari will be shipping a
"slotted" PC clone?  I know several people ( including myself ) that would
be interested. I saw the first PC clone Atari announced at an Atari-Fest
several months ago, but have not heard a peep about it since.

	Lastly, to the netter who was inquiring about the latest version of
MWC.  MW just announce release of version 3.00 in an add in this months Antic.
The add boasts improved optimization ( ~20% better ), a Resource Construction
tool, and for a limited time csd ( C source level debugger ) at a special low
price.  I ordered the 3.0 upgrade with csd for $39.95 which seems reasonable.
MW said that v. 3.0 will not be shipped until around Mar. 1-14th.
I'm currently using v. 2.1.7 of which I have no real complaints.  Occassionally
after several hours of use the compiler seems to stop compiling, however I am
using a "real" old 520-ST upgraded to a meg with the Terrific upgrade board and the old MMU chip, so I suspect the machine. ("Real old" == early 1985
TOS in ROM).

T. Bailey
Banyan Systems, Inc.
BTW:  These are my opinions so don't blame anyone else.

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (02/06/88)

In article <237@banyan.UUCP>, ted@banyan.UUCP (Ted Bailey) writes:

> If anyone knows,
>
> 	I attempted calling Atari customer support twice today, and cut off on
> both occassions without an answer to the following questions:
>
> 	Is there an update to DBMan v.2.02, and is there an "assist" style
> GEM interface available? (Neil??)

You have to go to Versasoft on this -- dbMan is no longer an Atari product,
the rights have reverted back to them.

> On another vain, does anyone have an idea of when Atari will be shipping a
> "slotted" PC clone?  I know several people ( including myself ) that would
> be interested. I saw the first PC clone Atari announced at an Atari-Fest
> several months ago, but have not heard a peep about it since.

I prefer not to give out our official prediction, but RSN.

--
Neil Harris, Director of Sales & Marketing -- East and Midwest Regions

UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil
GEnie: NHARRIS, BIX: neilharris, CIS: 70007,1135, Office: 408-745-2160

fischer-michael@YALE.ARPA (Michael Fischer) (02/11/88)

> 	Is there an update to DBMan v.2.02, and is there an "assist" style
> GEM interface available? (Neil??)

I don't know about the version marketed by Atari, but Versasoft
released version 3 a year ago and has just released version 4.  There
are many enhancements, including variable length text fields, private
variables and parameters to command procedures, browse and shop
commands, ability to save and restore screens, GEM-style menus and
file selector boxes, many new functions, various changes to make
it more like dBASE III, a few bug fixes (but there weren't many
bugs to start with) and yes, an "assist" program that you can run,
implemented as a DBMan command file.

--Mike Fischer <fischer-michael@yale.arpa>
-------