[comp.sys.atari.st] 1040 to TV/VCR

brantly.henr@XEROX.COM (01/21/88)

FYI,

I followed up a pointer from Neil Harris & called Practical Solutions to request
info on their adapter to convert the RGB outputs from a 1040 (non-rf modulator
version) to composite & rf signals.

They plan to have the device in the marketplace within 6 weeks, they assure me
that it is NOT vapor-ware.  The current delay is the wait for final FCC
approval.

This device is to retail for $119.00, will plug directly into the monitor port
of the 1040, and will produce both composite & RF outputs, thus enabling
connections to a TV/VCR.

This should allow 1040 owners to video tape their sessions, and (this is what I
really want!) monochrome owners to hook up color TV's to check out the low rez
and med rez stuff they've been missing out on (without having to go out & pay
$350+ for a color monitor).

In case anyone wants to call Practical Solutions in Tucson for additional info,
their # is 602-884-9612.

Thanks to Neil for the pointer......

Dennis....

<Rochester,NY>
Brantly.Henr
Brantly:Henr801C:Xerox
CompuServe 72460,66

lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) (01/29/88)

The $100 plus price tag for a RGB to composite cable seems a little steep.
Elektor magazine (it from the UK) published a circuit to do this called
Atari ST to SCART adaptor in early 87 (march I think).  SCART is an
analog RGB interface with composite sync - I think this should do what you
need.  Parts cost is under $20.00
/Leonard

c60b-at@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (John Kawakami -0^0-) (02/02/88)

What is the address for this magazine?  And is there a modification
necessary to use this on NTSC (sp?) monitors?
John Kawakami     c60b-at@buddy.berkeley.edu

brantly.henr@XEROX.COM (02/04/88)

>The $100 plus price tag for a RGB to composite cable seems a little steep.
>Elektor magazine (it from the UK) published a circuit to do this called
>Atari ST to SCART adaptor in early 87 (march I think).  SCART is an
>analog RGB interface with composite sync - I think this should do what you
>need.  Parts cost is under $20.00

-------------

The Atari ST to SCART adaptor sounds interesting, but would it provide BOTH rf &
composite?  Remember that the adapter that I described earlier (from Practical
Solutons) is targeted at those ST's without rf OR Composite signals available
(most 1040STs, some 520STs).

The primary advantage to the device from Practical Solutions, at least in my
mind, is that an individual with a monochrome 1040ST system would be able to
hookup to a color (colour for the Europeans on the net) TV vs spending $350+ for
a color (colour) monitor.

The secondary advantage is that, if desired, owners without rf modulators, again
(most 1
video capture of their sessions/games (really handy for maze-type games <after
you are killed off go back and replay the tape, pausing the VCR at critical
points as you draw out a map of the maze. >

Both the primary & secondary advantages I mentioned above require RF signals.
As described, it's not clear that the Atari ST to SCART adapter would provide
RF.

On a related note:

A word of caution, there are cables advertised that "CONNECT YOUR ST TO
COMPOSITE MONITORS!" (i.e. E. Arthur Brown Company, pg. 56, of the Winter 87
Issue of STart)  for only $14.95. But these will NOT work on an ST that doesn't
have an internal RF modulator (most 1040STs, some 520STs).

Dennis.....

<Rochester, NY>
Brantly.Henr@Xerox.COM
CompuServe 72460,66
"Snowing, Snowing, Snowing!!"

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (02/11/88)

In article <880204-065400-4005@Xerox> brantly.henr@XEROX.COM writes:
>>The $100 plus price tag for a RGB to composite cable seems a little steep.
>>Elektor magazine (it from the UK) published a circuit to do this called
>>Atari ST to SCART adaptor in early 87 (march I think).  SCART is an
>>analog RGB interface with composite sync - I think this should do what you
>>need.  Parts cost is under $20.00
>
>-------------
>
>The Atari ST to SCART adaptor sounds interesting, but would it provide BOTH rf &
Ther is a great difference in the technique:

The Euro-AV (SCART) includes extra lines for almost evey signal a TV can
handle: one for each:red, green, blue, horizontal-sync, vertical-sync,
composite-sync, composite video and so on.

Composite video (or FBAS in Germany) contains the complete picture on a
single line: it is the signal the modulator will put on top of the RF
and make it look like coming from an antenna.
The ST has outputs for RGB and composite-sync (sync not video!). The
RGB-compVid-Converter will have to put this information on a sigle line,
whitch is a tricky task. But the Motorola MC1377-chip (you will find one
opening your video camera or Amiga) solves this problem. Here in Germany
a Magazine (c't) published a board containig this chip and a little more
(resistors, capacitators) to get composite video.

A simple solution ist mixing RGB and compSync together by a resistor
network: connect 300 Ohms to each, red green and blue, 50 Ohms to
composite sync and solder the open ends together; what you will get is
an grey-scale video signal of the medium or low resolution; I am using
this to display all the colour-games on a green monitor. Not the
solution but cheap...
hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Berlin (West) (*east of West-Germany :-)
hase@netmbx.UUCP