[comp.sys.atari.st] OSS Pascal bugs

REEVES@SLACSLD.BITNET (01/27/88)

Recently, a few people have asked questions about OSS Personal Pascal. Here
are a couple of files that I just downloaded from OSS's BBS. The number
is (408)-446-3451. These should answer most questions that people may have.
These are the most current that I found. Today's date is 26-JAN-1988.

file BUGS1125

LAST UPDATED :: November 25, 1987

This is a continuing set of notes discussing bugs, etc., found in
Personal Pascal.  As problems are solved, notes to that effect will
be placed here after the discussion of the original problem.

As new problems are encountered, these notes will be added to.

Thus it is probably worth reading these notes any time the "LAST UPDATED"
date (above) changes.

26 September 1987   PROBLEMS WITH AUXSUBS.PAS

Even though we have been shipping Personal Pascal for only a week, we
already have had to make one update.

In order to determine which version you received, simply look at the info
box that appears when you boot into the Pascal manager.  If you have
version 2.0, then you need this update.  If you have version 2.01, then all
is okay.

Alternatively, if you are using a command line interpreter (e.g., Micro
C-Shell), look at the dates on the PASLIB and AUXSUBS.PAS files.  If they
do not match the dates of most of the other files, then you have the newer
version and all is okay.  If their dates are September 1st, they are the
old versions.

IF YOU HAVE VERSION 2.00
------------------------

You may download the two files PASLIB and AUXSUBS.PAS from here.

Fair warning, PASLIB is big.  It will take perhaps 7 or 8 minutes to xfer
via XMODEM, even at 1200 baud.  If you are running at 300 baud, you may
prefer returning your diskette to us for recopying (just disk A).

On the distribution disks, we placed PASLIB on both diskettes (to simplify
life for those using only one drive...we recommend erasing the copy on
drive A: if you have two drives...use your judgment on hard disks, Ram
disks, double sided drives, etc.).

Note:  If you have version 2.02 or later, ignore this section.

November 13, 1987 -- Known Bugs
------------------------------

BUG:
----
The editor does not work with MEGA ST machines or machines with the
new TOS ROMs installed.

FIX:
----
Fixed in versio 2.02.  See PPQUESTS file (or first option in
the bulletins list) for how and when upgrade is available/coming.

TEMPORARY FIX:
--------------
In the meantime, use some other editor.  (Sorry, no better fix.)

BUG:
----
The "create desk accessory" compiler switch does not work.  Ditto for the
button in the compiler options dialog box.

FIX:
----
Same answer.  Version 2.02.

TEMPORARY FIX:
--------------
See the "L"ibrary here for a description of how to make desk accessories
work under version 1.0x of the compiler.  The same method works with
version 2.0x, possibly with a few restrictions may apply (see the library).

BUG:
----
Passing a function or procedure as a parameter to another subprogram does
not work.  This is a code generation bug, since the compiler accepts the
source code just fine.

FIX:
----
Being worked on.  Sigh.  This one is the toughest so far.
NOT fixed in version 2.02, unfortunately.

BUG:
----
The editor colors (on a color monitor) are atrocious.

FIX:
----
No fix.  This isn't a bug.

Oh, okay, it's a matter of taste.  So we will soon supply a color changer.

Changed to black characters in version 2.02.
Marked blocks, only, become red.

BUG:
----
Using a call to MENU_TEXT crashes the system.

FIX:
----
An easy one!  The declaration in the GEMSUBS.PAS file is incorrect.  In
that file, the last parameter to MENU_TEXT is given as a VAR string.  This
is wrong!  Simply edit GEMSUBS.PAS to remove "VAR" from the declaration
for this one routine.  Ignore this if you have 2.02.

BUG:
----
Double clicking on a button in a dialog box causes a range check error
or does strange things to my system.

FIX:
----
Atari didn't document this one very well, so we didn't catch it.  If you
double click on an exit button, then the DO_DIALOG call returns the index
of that button WITH THE UPPER BIT SET!

In other words, if the user clicks on a button with a normal index value
of 4, then $8004 is returned by the system.  You may choose to take
advantage of this (by using double clicked buttons for special purposes)
or you may ignore this by simply coding something like this:
   what_button := $7FFF & Do_Dialog(...)

BUG:
----
Where oh where is "OBJ_REDRAW"??  The manual lists it and I need it, but
I can't find it.

FIX:
----
This was a case of the manual author and the software author not talking
enough.  You will note that the errors file on your master disk discusses
the change in SHOW_DIALOG (it needs two parameters, not the single one
shown in the book).  Well, it turns out that SHOW_DIALOG is ACTUALLY
identical with OBJ_REDRAW!  So either change the name in your manual to
reflect reality or add an OBJ_REDRAW routine to GEMSUBS.PAS that simply
calls SHOW_DIALOG.

BUG:
----
The manual example for D_COLOR doesn't work.

FIX:
----
Just a documentation bug.  Notice the formal description of D_COLOR's
parameters calls for a BOOLEAN value as the third parameter (text mode).
The example should thus have coded a TRUE for this value instead of "1".

BUG:
----
Dialog boxes created with version 2 have only a single line border instead
of the GEM standard double border.

FIX:
----
Dumb of us, but dumb of GEM, also.  Do_Dialog is calling SETCLIP
just before executing the dialog.  We are clipping to the size
of the "object" (the dialog box) as GEM tells us it is.
But GEM lies.  But we believed GEM.  So the clipping rectangle is too small.
Fixed in version 2.02.

In the meantime, the dialog boxes seem to work fine, even if they do look
a bit strange.

BUG:
----
The editor tosses its cookies when presented with some illegal files
(e.g., files transferred via XMODEM which still have pad characters on
the end).

FIX:
----
Version 2.02 should be safer on this, but...
We are still looking into this one, since even 2.00 should not
have had the problem.  Sigh.

TEMPORARY FIX:
--------------
Load such files into our old (version 1) editor, go to the end of file and
chop of the garbage at the end, and then resave the files.

BUG:
----
GOTOXY in the "auxillary" routines does not work.

FIX:
----
Look for a source code patch called "GOTOXY" which should
appear here by December 1st.  (That target keeps moving..sorry.)

TEMPORARY FIX:
--------------
GOTOXY is actually GOTOYX.  Simply reverse your arguments and
it should work as you want it to.

BUG:
----
In the editor, pasting a block that has been deleted can cause strange
and wonderful things, such as system crashes.

FIX:
----
Version 2.02 improves situation, but may not be 100% fix.

Too complicated to do with other than major change.  Look for
news of the upgrade in near future.

TEMPORARY FIX:
--------------
Avoid doing such things as marking a block in file 2, CLOSEing file 2, and
then pasting that block into file 1.  Since file 2 is no longer
there, the marked block is no longer there either.  Kablooey.

BUG:
----
PASAUX does not exist.

FIX:
----
That's right.  It doesn't.  Change your documentation, because it never
will exist.  PASAUX is a part of PASLIB in delivered system.
(Early test versions had the two files separate, and the
documentation never got upgraded.)

BUG:
----
If you use the shifted function keys in the manager to access
the RENAME or ERASE capabilities, you get the wrong function.
The key functions are reversed.

FIX:
----
None yet.  We even missed this one in 2.02.

TEMPORARY FIX:
--------------
Use the mouse.  It works properly.
Or remember that the function keys are reversed.

That's all for now.  Let us know of things you find that are not on that
list.  If you have submitted a report of an exotic bug, we may not be
listing it yet until we determine whether it is our problem or Atari's.

uuuuuuuuuuu
file PPQUESTS

PERSONAL PASCAL VERSION 2

As of NOVEMBER 25TH, 1987

ANSWERS TO COMMON QUESTIONS
---------------------------

QUESTION
--------
How do I get an update to 2.02? (Latest version as of Nov. 25th is 2.02)

ANSWER
------
If you simply can NOT wait, we will update your disk (and this
will NOT count as the free major update you are entitled to
if you received and retained that little post card from us
back in August).  We ask that you return both disks and
INCLUDE $3 FOR POSTAGE AND SHIPPING BOX!  You may send cash (the
amount is so small and we trust our people...and you) or stamps
or check or...  Just no charge cards, okay?

But if you can wait, see next answer.

QUESTION
--------
When are the fixes for Mega ST's coming out?

ANSWER
------
They are done, part of version 2.02.  We are now working on a
patch program that will allow you to DL the fixes from here.

In the meantime, if you are desperate, see last question and answer.

QUESTION
--------
Why does the file GEMSUBS.PAS have one size on diskette B and another size
on diskette B?

ANSWER
------
The three files GEMCONST.PAS, GEMTYPES.PAS, GEMSUBS.PAS on diskette B are
the "separated" versions of the single "GEMSUBS.PAS" file on diskette A,
and they were put there to accomodate users who wish to compile version 1
programs without modification.

See the READ_ME folder on your master disk.

Note that in version 2.02 we decided to put ".OLD" name extensions
on the three separate files (instead of ".PAS").  Less confusing.

QUESTION
--------
Where is the disassembler on the Tackle Box disks?

ANSWER
------
SRM Enterprises says they will ship it (when it is done)
to all people who register their Tackle Box package...so send in your
registration card today!

QUESTION
--------
Why did OSS say that Tackle Box would include 3 diskettes when there
are only 2?

ANSWER
------
Two reasons:  We were told by SRM Enterprises there would be 3.  Then they
got sneaky and archived files to shrink the diskettes down to 2.  (And,
of course, there is the missing disassembler.)

We thought about doing the same thing with Version 2 Pascal, but decided
against it because we wanted Personal Pascal to be more accessible to
beginners.  Hopefully, those of you with Tackle Box are more sophisticated.

QUESTION
--------
How do I get the Personal Pascal manager to behave reasonably on a RAMDISK
or hard disk system?  Mine seems to keep losing its place or is unable
to find the files it needs.

ANSWER
------
Well, the easiest way is probably to NOT copy the PASCAL.INF file to your
new default directory.  Then, after bringing up PASCAL from that directory,
go through all the various options, etc., choosing the appropriate default
paths.  Finally, save all these choices to a new PASCAL.INF file.  In the
case of RamDisk users, you should then be sure that this particular
PASCAL.INF file is the one you copy to the RamDisk at startup time.

QUESTION
--------
Where is this file called "PASAUX" that I have found a couple of
references to?

ANSWER
------
It doesn't exist.  Change your documentation, because it never
will exist.  PASAUX is a part of PASLIB in delivered system.
(Early test versions had the two files separate, and the
documentation never got upgraded.)

QUESTION
--------
How do I make Line-A calls from Personal Pascal?

ANSWERS
-------
SRM Enterprises is updating Tackle Box, again, to include a hefty section
on Line-A calls.  Send in your registration cards to learn more about this!

But we also have a surprise:  The version 2 compiler supports several
PRE-DEFINED Line-A calls!  Why aren't they documented?  Simply
because we didn't get around to translating all the German notes until
very recently.  (Yes, the compiler itself comes from Germany.  The GEM
libraries, manager, etc., are either completely OSS products or represent
major enhancements by OSS.)  Once we have figured out how to use
all the subroutines, look for more info here.

If you have any more questions or other problems, I refer you to OSS. They,
after all, should be the final word.

                                                Terry W. Reeves

decouty@irisa.UUCP (Bertrand Decouty) (02/04/88)

Thanks Terry for these info about last release of OSS Personal Pascal.

But recently I had a strange talk with a french large reseller, who told
me that, according to his U.S. dealer, OSS P.P. no longer exist and that
now it was Alice The Personal Pascal !
Really, I have received such a software, a pascal interpreter with a syntax-
directed editor, written by Looking Glass Software Ltd - Waterloo - Canada.

As I do not believe what he told me, could anybody give me the full address
of OSS (with e-mail if any, or telex) in order for me to ask them if
they have a European distributor (idem for the Tackle Box).

Thanks.

 ----- Bertrand DECOUTY @ INRIA-IRISA (Centre de Rennes) -----
EMAIL : decouty@irisa.fr
UUCP  : {mcvax,inria!}irisa!decouty
        decouty@irisa.UUCP
BITNET: DECOUTY@FRCICB71
POST  : IRISA, Campus de Beaulieu, 35042 Rennes cedex, FRANCE
PHONE : +33  99 36 20 00
TELEX : 950473 UNIRISA
FAX   : +33  99 38 38 32"

Jinfu@cup.portal.com (02/07/88)

DECOUTY@IRISA.FR writes:

>But recently I had a strange talk with a french large reseller, who told
>me that, according to his U.S. dealer, OSS P.P. no longer exist and that
>now it was Alice The Personal Pascal !

Alice the Personal Pascal is totally different from OSS Personal Pascal.
It just happens to be a similar name. Recently Optimized Systems Software,
Inc. is brought by ICD. According to a press release from ICD, all the
existent OSS software, including Personal Pascal, will be distributed by
ICD. For your information, here are OSS and ICD addresses:

ICD                                 OSS
1220 Rock Street                    1221 B Kentwood Ave.
Rockford, IL 61101-1437             San Jose, CA 95129
USA                                 USA

(815)968-2228 (voice)               (408)446-3099 (voice)
(815)968-2229 (modem)               (408)446-3451 (modem)

Jinfu Chen
Jinfu@cup.portal.com

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (02/07/88)

In a recent article, someone at irisa.UUCP writes:

>But recently I had a strange talk with a french large reseller, who told
>me that, according to his U.S. dealer, OSS P.P. no longer exist and that
>now it was Alice The Personal Pascal !

Really doubt this, since I have heard from 3 sources that ICD is in
the progress of buying OSS. And one source says that it has already
happened. I really hope this is true, since that should improve the
integrity of OSS Pascal a lot (unless ICD concentrates more on the 8
bit OSS products first, since that is where the money probably still
is.)

>As I do not believe what he told me, could anybody give me the full address
>of OSS (with e-mail if any, or telex) in order for me to ask them if
>they have a European distributor (idem for the Tackle Box).

May as well wait a few weeks to see how things settle out (or check
around and see if your distributors carry ICD products already for
the 8 bit line of Ataris).

   -Todd Burkey
    trb@stag.UUCP

P.S. Mike (Gustafson), are you on the net yet? Barb says hi.

kimes@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Kit Kimes) (02/12/88)

In article <327@stag.UUCP>, trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) writes:

> In a recent article, someone at irisa.UUCP writes:
> >
> >But recently I had a strange talk with a french large reseller, who told
> >me that, according to his U.S. dealer, OSS P.P. no longer exist and that
> >now it was Alice The Personal Pascal !
>
> Really doubt this, since I have heard from 3 sources that ICD is in
> the progress of buying OSS. And one source says that it has already
> happened. I really hope this is true, since that should improve the
> integrity of OSS Pascal a lot (unless ICD concentrates more on the 8
> bit OSS products first, since that is where the money probably still
> is.)

The following article was contained in Ron Kovacs' national Zmagazine,
Issue 91 (latest, I think).  I am reproducing it in its entirety without
comment, so you can draw your own conclusions.  I know at least one
person here on the net has mixed feelings about ICD, but I think as a
whole, they have been good for Atari owners (esp. 8bit owners).

					Kit Kimes
					AT&T--Information Systems Labs
					...ihnp4!ihlpe!kimes

                               ZMAGAZINE NEWSWIRE

DATELINE: 1-27-88

   *GOOD NEWS FOR ATARI OWNERS!*

ICD, Inc. and OSS, Inc. (Optimized Systems Software) have just signed an
agreement which will "add new life to all Atari computers". Under this
agreement, ICD will add the manufacture, marketing, and support of
all current OSS software titles for Atari computers to ICD's already
powerful Atari product line.

ICD's friendly, helpful staff is now trained in all aspects of support for
the complete OSS product line including:

     MAC/65
     MAC/65 Toolkit
     ACTION!
     ACTION! Toolkit
     BASIC XL
     BASIC XL Toolkit
     BASIC XE
     Writer's Tool
     DOS XL
     Personal PASCAL for the Atari ST

Ordering and support for ICD/OSS products are available by calling
815/968-2228 from 8AM to 5PM CST Monday through Friday. Support is also
available 24 hours a day 7 days a week on the following Electronic Bulletin
Boards:

ICD/OSS BBS 815/968-2229 300-9600 baud, CompuServe,GEnie,
Delphi, and BIX.  ICD's 24 hour FAX is connected to 815/968-6888.

The San Jose, CA  numbers for OSS will no longer be providing support. Orders
for OSS products may be placed now.  All products will be shipping in
quantities soon.  For more information call any of our product support lines
or write to:

     ICD/OSS
     1220 Rock Street
     Rockford, IL  61101