[comp.sys.atari.st] dBMAN upgrades

U00177@HASARA5.BITNET (02/09/88)

In:
>Info-Atari16 Digest   Thursday, February  4, 1988   Volume 88 : Issue 62
 T. Bailey asked:
>If anyone knows,
>    Is there an update to DBMan v.2.02, and is there an "assist" style
>GEM interface available? (Neil??)

In a letter, dated dec 11 1987, Versasoft (the writers of dBMAN) offered
me an upgrade to version 4.00. This version should read and write dBASE III+
files, knowse about BROWSE and memo-fields and should run most dBASE III+
applications without modifications. The ASSIST funktion was already there
(in version 3.X) but was in fact a sophisticated application written in
dBMAN itself. In dBASE III+ it's a function. (dBMAN: do assist, dBASE: assist).
It (v.4.00) should be faster too. Mouse driven menu's were already possible
in version 3.X.
I upgraded to version 4.00 but I didn't receive anything yet, so I can't tell
you if everything promised will work too.

Wim Schaasberg (U00177@HASARA5.BITNET)

ted@banyan.UUCP (Ted Bailey) (02/11/88)

Thanks for the information in your note.  Unfortunately, it appears that
VersaSoft does not like to answer their phones, or that they have the wrong
number in the manual.  I've tried calling 408-268-6101, but only to listen
to it ring.  Would you happen to know if they have a real phone number?
Thanks for your help again.

T. Bailey

jafischer@lily.waterloo.edu (Jonathan A. Fischer) (02/13/88)

In article <238@banyan.UUCP> ted@banyan.UUCP (Ted Bailey) writes:
>Thanks for the information in your note.  Unfortunately, it appears that
>VersaSoft does not like to answer their phones, or that they have the wrong
>number in the manual.  I've tried calling 408-268-6101, but only to listen
>to it ring.  Would you happen to know if they have a real phone number?
>Thanks for your help again.
>
>T. Bailey

	The number was changed to (408) 268-6101.  BTW, I received a flyer
some time ago notifying me of another upgrade.  The new version is 4.00,
and it's basically dBASE III+ compatible ("most dBASE III+ applications will
run without modifications").  Also, they mentioned that a compiler will be
"coming soon."

	I won't go into features, being wary of the notorious net.police
out there and not wanting to make this an advertisement for VersaSoft.  But
the prices for the upgrade are:

from 2.x to 4.0:	Interpreter $80 US; Run time $70 US
from 3.x to 4.0:	Interpreter $45 US; Run time $40 US.

And if you upgraded from 2.x to 3.x anytime after Sept. 1, 1987, the upgrade
cost is $30.05.
--
				- Jonathan A. Fischer
				jafischer@lily.waterloo.edu

jafischer@lily.waterloo.edu (Jonathan A. Fischer) (02/17/88)

>In article <238@banyan.UUCP> ted@banyan.UUCP (Ted Bailey) writes:
>>number in the manual.  I've tried calling 408-268-6101, but only to listen
						^^^^^^^^
And I respond:
>	The number was changed to (408) 268-6101...
				        ^^^^^^^^
	(With red face:) okay, I was just testing you.  The number was
_really_ changed to...  >ahem<
	(408) 723-8384.
Also listed on the latest flyer:
	(408) 723-9044.